PDA

View Full Version : HK P7M13

rdmax
03-07-2009, 3:35 PM
I have a HK P7M13, but no mags due to the hi-cap rules for CA. Can I use a HK P7M10 mags with 9mm and have it fit and feed properly in a P7M13? Otherwise, is there a place I can get 10 round P7M13 mags? I would like to be able to shoot the HK and not just have it sit in the gun safe.

Quiet
03-07-2009, 5:08 PM
The .40S&W 10 round P7M10 magazine is interchangable with the 9x19mm 13 round P7M13 magazine.

The .40S&W 10 round P7M10 magazine will hold 13 9x19mm rounds.

No one makes 10 round P7M13 magazines. You will need to permanantely modify the P7M13 or P7M10 magazine to hold 10 9x19mm rounds.

avidone
03-07-2009, 5:28 PM
You will need to permanantely modify the P7M13 or P7M10 magazine to hold 10 9x19mm rounds.

Why would you need to modify the P7M10 magazine? It is a 10 round magazine. It is legal to own.

mblat
03-07-2009, 6:17 PM
The .40S&W 10 round P7M10 magazine is interchangable with the 9x19mm 13 round P7M13 magazine.

The .40S&W 10 round P7M10 magazine will hold 13 9x19mm rounds.

No one makes 10 round P7M13 magazines. You will need to permanantely modify the P7M13 or P7M10 magazine to hold 10 9x19mm rounds.

Nope.... wrong answer.....
One thing about P7M10 magazines ( as well as P7M13 ) is that they have caliber and capacity STAMPED on them.
I would think that DA would;nt have an easy time to charge you for possession of magazine that clearly states that t is 10 rounder.

That is said while P7m10 magazine DO work in P7M17 they are not EXACTLY the same.
http://hkp7.com/mags.htm

They do seem to work, though....

avidone
03-07-2009, 7:31 PM
Nope.... wrong answer.....
One thing about P7M10 magazines ( as well as P7M13 ) is that they have caliber and capacity STAMPED on them.
I would think that DA would;nt have an easy time to charge you for possession of magazine that clearly states that t is 10 rounder.

That is said while P7m10 magazine DO work in P7M17 they are not EXACTLY the same.
http://hkp7.com/mags.htm

They do seem to work, though....

The posts in the thread below by some of Calguns most knowledgeable members (eg: bwiese and hoffmang) would seem to disagree with your interpretation.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=91756&highlight=mags

Since it seems a bit of a complex question, I guess the best advice would be for the OP to read up on this, and make his own decision about how to proceed.

mblat
03-07-2009, 7:37 PM
The posts in the thread below by some of Calguns most knowledgeable members (eg: bwiese and hoffmang) would seem to disagree with your interpretation.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=91756&highlight=mags

Since it seems a bit of a complex question, I guess the best advice would be for the OP to read up on this, and make his own decision about how to proceed.

How does this
All the law prohibits is importing a magazine that accepts more than 10 rounds or manufacturing, or selling the same. The best interpretation by DOJ and notably the court in Hunt v. Brown is that all that matters is the magazine capacity with its intended ammunition.

This is one of those gray areas for all sides. The rule of lenity is likely to be your friend here (tie goes to the defendant.)

-Gene

or this:

postet by bwiese

Reaffirming Gene above. Hicap mag laws are very limited. The fact a mag's designed for caliber X as low capacity but can work in caliber Y as high capacity is irrelevant.

I would add a caveat that any mods to the magazine should not remove 100% functionality/reliability in the design caliber. If that 40 mag doesn't work in 40 anymore because it was hacked to deal with 9mm that's when you could have problems.

From a reliability standpoint, 9mm in 40 may or may not be 100% reliable. I'm not sure I'd bet my life on it. I've heard of mag walls bulging a bit when 9mm is used in a 40/357 mag, etc.

Most hicap mag charges will be result of obvious situation (buying/selling to/from an informer, being popped by DOJ returning from an outta state gunshow (with purchase witnessed), etc. Having a hicap for a gun/mag that wasn't made before 2000 also falls into the "duh" category. Aside from these issues, anyone who gets in trouble for stuff like this has failed the Big IQ test in in talking to LE: (1) don't talk to 'em (2)tell 'em "Talk to my lawyer."

emphasis in both quotes added by me.

disagrees with my interpretation? I don't see it that way. It is basically says that "While it may be a bit of a gray area and it may not be technically reliable you have very strong defense"

homerm14
03-10-2009, 2:31 AM
If you want to be safe buy p7m10 mags and permanently block them to hold 10 rounds of 9mm. It is a gray are, but why risk it for 3 rounds? By the way the m10 rounds do work in the m13 but are definitely different (I have both).