PDA

View Full Version : Sigma trigger really is that bad, yikes!

TKM
03-07-2009, 2:59 PM
I had a chance to check one out at Project 2000 today.

I'd heard that they were garbage, I heard right.

I've started outboards with less effort.

Anyway, Tom and his buddy should be wandering into Calguns sometime today, does anyone have any suggestions.

I don't know anything about Smith autos. Okay, the 1911 I've figured out. I'm just clueless about the rest.

CSACANNONEER
03-07-2009, 3:00 PM
Mine is about the same as my Glock. I don't really like either one!

grim1U
03-07-2009, 5:26 PM
:boxing_smiley::popcorn: Let the beatings begin:D I'm not a fan of the Sigma either.:hide:

5150Marcelo
03-07-2009, 5:28 PM
Theres a reason why you can find Sigmas for 200 bux:eek:

shootin' nuke
03-07-2009, 8:19 PM
For a while, S&W would give you a mail in rebate form when you bought a 500 or 460 in the X Frame. The form was good for.........a FREE Sigma!!! When the guys who make them can't give them away..............

Springfield45
03-07-2009, 8:29 PM
Mine is not bad. A lot of dry fire drills will work the stiffness out. However I have out grown my sigma for my XDs, 1911s, and Sigs. My sigma is now a hid-a-way gun in a strategic location.

hoffman259
03-07-2009, 8:34 PM
Mine is really not that bad. Lots of rounds threw it and dry fire. I also ended up polishing some of the trigger componets and it smoothed out alot. It goes bang everytime and works good for my backpacking gun.

CSACANNONEER
03-07-2009, 8:41 PM
My sigma is now a hide-a-way gun in a strategic location.

That's where mine is too! I don't have the heart to get rid of it. Specially since I've got several standard mags for it.

Tallship
03-07-2009, 9:29 PM
Just remove two springs from the trigger group and the and the pull comes down to 6-7 pounds. Most over-engineered thing I've ever seen.

Oldnoob
03-07-2009, 9:42 PM
I believe I read it at S&W forum somewhere that if you call s&w, you can actually get them to sent you a shipping box and they will do a trigger job for free. I never understand why they make a trigger that bad to begin with. But I guess for a $250 gun, it's kind of hard to beat Sigma.

Mazilla
03-07-2009, 11:41 PM
I believe I read it at S&W forum somewhere that if you call s&w, you can actually get them to sent you a shipping box and they will do a trigger job for free. I never understand why they make a trigger that bad to begin with. But I guess for a $250 gun, it's kind of hard to beat Sigma.

with a trigger job its a great gun.

JeffM
03-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Theres a reason why you can find Sigmas for 200 bux:eek:

+1.

TKM
03-08-2009, 1:38 AM
For a while, S&W would give you a mail in rebate form when you bought a 500 or 460 in the X Frame. The form was good for.........a FREE Sigma!!! When the guys who make them can't give them away..............

That might explain a few things. The young man with the Sigma had a brand new 500. Those ordnance guys like things that go BOOM.

ErikTheRed
03-08-2009, 3:04 AM
I just fired my Sigma for the first time this afternoon. I didn't have a lot of time, but I managed to put 50 rnds of el-cheapo reloads through it. Went bang, spit the brass, and chambered another round flawlessly every time I pulled the trigger. Accuracy is so-so, had to compensate for low placement shooting at a couple beer cans on a tree stump at approx 50 ft. (as you can tell, I'm very clinical.) The trigger is heavy, no question-- but my meaty forefinger was up to the challenge without too much effort. As far as trigger mods, to be honest, it just simply isn't worth the trouble for a backwoods 'neck like me. I'm no target match shooter, I just want the gun to go POW when I need it to, and for that, the Sigma will more than suffice. Would I want a Sigma as my ONLY handgun? Probably not. But since I happen to have a few other nifty toys in my safe to keep it company, this Sigma is just Jim Dandy.

I don't know where in the Sam Sneed Hill you guys are picking up new Sigmas at under $300?? I paid $335 about 4 months ago and that was a darn good deal considering it was purchased at the local gun shop. I see now they're going for darn near $400.

SFFRONTMAN
03-08-2009, 3:11 AM
At least they go boom.....usually.

Kingofthehill
03-08-2009, 8:37 AM
I bought 3... 1 for 400 OTD with 50 mail in rebate, then 2 used for 200 a piece.

I have them as my "Home" defense pistols placed in my house... I did a trigger job to one of them and it works great!... the other is stock and although a heavy trigger, you know you won't have a accidental with it... you KNOW your pulling the trigger, LOL

Good guns that get a bad rap IMO.

JOe

CSACANNONEER
03-08-2009, 8:47 AM
In 1999, I bought mine new for $259 or $269. The 17 round mags were about $70 each though.

buffybuster
03-08-2009, 8:47 AM
In all seriousness, you need to change your preception of what a S&W Sigma is and what it is not.

Even though it looks like a semi-auto pistol, it actually closer to a mag feed revolver. Think of the trigger pull like the Double-Action trigger of a revolver, then it's not bad at all.

That was what S&W was trying to get when they designed it. They were thinking the Sigma would break into the LE market and they thought if the trigger is similar to a DA revolver trigger it would be better in a stressful situation.

Maddog5150
03-08-2009, 9:37 AM
The Stigma is what it is. For the price its a decent gun but for a couple hundred bucks more you could get a glock, xd, m&p, baby eagle, sigpro, GI 1911...

buffybuster
03-08-2009, 9:44 AM
The Stigma is what it is. For the price its a decent gun but for a couple hundred bucks more you could get a glock, xd, m&p, baby eagle, sigpro, GI 1911...

Exactly.. Why then do people complain that it's isn't something that it was never meant to be or try to make it something it isn't.

kermit315
03-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I have an M&P, but would still like to get a couple of sigmas. I have fired both, and yes, the trigger sucks, but nothing that cant be overcome with practice.

CSACANNONEER
03-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Exactly.. Why then do people complain that it's isn't something that it was never meant to be or try to make it something it isn't.

The same reason the same people complain that a SU-16 isn't a highly modified AR15. They are just to ignorant or close minded to understand that apples are apples, oranges are oranges and pears are niether one but, they still taste good.

B Strong
03-08-2009, 12:14 PM
A buddy of mine picked up a Sigma for 299.00 - and it isn't even worth that much.

His trigger is about the worst I've ever encountered short of the semi-auto M-60 that Springfield built - Horrible!

He brought it to me to see if I could do anything about it, and after testing I said I could fix it quickly and permanently...

By throwing it into the nearest body of water.

CSACANNONEER
03-08-2009, 12:36 PM
A buddy of mine picked up a Sigma for 299.00 - and it isn't even worth that much.

His trigger is about the worst I've ever encountered short of the semi-auto M-60 that Springfield built - Horrible!

He brought it to me to see if I could do anything about it, and after testing I said I could fix it quickly and permanently...

By throwing it into the nearest body of water.

So, should I look for it in Lake Merced or, out by the Farallons?

B Strong
03-08-2009, 1:14 PM

Crystal Springs by the dam.

leitung
03-08-2009, 1:15 PM

LOL!!!

I shot one, and I couldn't hang with the trigger either, I like my Glock and 1911 triggers. One of the reasons I have not been too quick to get a DA revolver, I just suck at shooting with that DA trigger pull.

CSACANNONEER
03-08-2009, 1:18 PM
Crystal Springs by the dam. Shoot! I used to hang out up on Sweeny Ridge clear on the other side of the resevoir. I always stayed clear of the dam area because, it gets patrolled more.

USN CHIEF
03-08-2009, 1:18 PM
I got a Sigma that I bought from a guy in WA state for $100. I have tried to break the dang thing and it does not brake. It is a PITA to shoot the thing, but the dang thing will not break, no matter what I do with it. It just keeps on going and going. I like it.

mdouglas1980
03-08-2009, 1:41 PM
I've probably put about 2k rounds through my 9VE, yeah the pull is heavy but its a work horse and 2k through it and never any failures, stove pipes, or jams of any kind. I can always rely on it and for $310 OTD with another mag for it.... hell ya can't beat that. It seems they like S&W built what they wanted to build, a workhorse, I was actually thinking about buying the one in .40 that was for sale on here. :D

RECCE556
03-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Sigma trigger really is that bad, yikes!
Fixed it for ya... :)

They were thinking the Sigma would break into the LE market and they thought if the trigger is similar to a DA revolver trigger it would be better in a stressful situation.
Are these the same people that thought the Titanic was unsinkable? :)

SDgarrick
03-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Hmmm is this like the hi points...They're ugly with a less than great shooting experience and so everyone hates 'em and says they're terrible guns, even though they are priced so economically that just about anyone can pick one up and exercise their 2A

ErikTheRed
03-09-2009, 2:56 AM
Hmmm ...They're ugly with a less than great shooting experience and everyone hates 'em

I'm 0 for 3 on that list. I don't think they're ugly, my shooting experience has been just fine (as limited as its been so far with the Sigma), and I don't hate em. When the attractive price and an acceptance of the heavy trigger is factored in, I think a Sigma is a great buy.

But if the damn thing prematurely fails me I'm gonna be first in line at the complaint department. :mad:

dilligaffrn
03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Top of the list for worst semi-auto trigger pull, in a pistol, that I have ever shot.