PDA

View Full Version : Best safe?

thomyt
10-21-2005, 9:37 AM
Whats the best safe for the money? Say $1,200 to 1,500 range.

Librarian
10-21-2005, 1:44 PM
Lots of criteria -
fire protection
capacity
burglary resistance
weight / floor loading
Kind of like "What's the best car?" - hard to answer without more specifics.

Rascal
10-21-2005, 4:09 PM
I would read Librarians post on "What is a safe" to determine what you want. This would help you narrow what is best for you. Then we could give you suggestions, once we know what your criteria is. :)

thomyt
10-21-2005, 8:07 PM
Fire protection 30 min at 1800. ten long guns and five pistols room for ammo. nothing is burglar resistance if they want in. weight 500 to 800 lbs.

Librarian
10-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Here's a Sentry (http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products.asp?r=23&s=160) model that seems to meet your price point and size; possibly a little on the light side, and 1200 F rather than 1800 F. I've seen some Brownings at 1550 F, but the MSRP was $2500 or so.

Amsec BF 6030 (http://www.safeshowroom.com/eShop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=BF6030&Referrer=Froogle) is a bit better for fire protection, but at the top of your price range.

Fire protection seems to be fairly closely associated with increasing weight and increased wall thickness.

When I shopped for mine, I made a couple of calls and found a local dealer who would match the internet price, delivered and installed, so Google-ing around to get a sense of the market price is probably a good idea. Other folks have access to safe dollies and lift-gate trucks and large friends, and so have been able to get away without paying for delivery and installation - except for beer, of course!

Gnote
10-30-2005, 7:20 PM
I'd get a Cannon or for few hundred bucks, get a Liberty.

Ravenslair
10-30-2005, 7:46 PM
I have the Liberty Colonial Series and like it a lot. The only issue encountered? Available space seems to be disappearing. Not sure why...

leelaw
10-31-2005, 10:12 PM
I have the Liberty Colonial Series and like it a lot. The only issue encountered? Available space seems to be disappearing. Not sure why...

Sounds like time to get another one!

I'm working on filling my new one, but it'll take a while, as planned <Muah HAHAHAHAH!>:D

jdberger
11-02-2005, 1:16 PM
I'm still trying to figure out a way to sneak another one into the garage. I'm pretty sure that the wife would notice it...:D

saki302
11-03-2005, 10:17 PM
From Dean's Security in sunland, I got an American- soemthignorother (division of Cannon safes) for about $800 OTD when they had their sale. It's firelined, 32" wide, and holds a bunch of guns. Excellent for the price, IMO, and since I have a truck, I just loaded it up and waited for a friend to help me unload.

DO BOLT IT DOWN if you're putting it in the garage. I could slide it out by myself if I had to, even loaded (I'm a bug guy). A few screws in the concrete puts a damper on that plan real quick.

-Dave

PS- get one size larger thaan what you think you need. Always :D

Ravenslair
11-04-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm still trying to figure out a way to sneak another one into the garage. I'm pretty sure that the wife would notice it...:D

Get a refrigerator box and set it in the garage where the new safe will go. Leave it there for a month. Each time she asks what it is for, just tell her it is for storage or something similar. After a month, paint it the color of the safe you want. Leave it for a month. If she asks why you painted it, just tell her you got tired of looking at the cardboard. Eventually, get the safe and install it under the box. After another month, remove the box. Maybe she will be so used to seeing the box/safe-colored-box that she will not even notice the safe.

*Caution: As a man, I find this tactic fully possible. As such, I am prone to failure when it comes to a woman. My wife would notice, so I assume yours would as well. I take no responsibility for any trouble this may get you in. If you are in trouble, I will gladly store your firearms until such trouble blows over. I promise to keep them oiled and fed.

jdberger
11-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Friggin GENIUS!!

I'll give that a shot!

Caveat: feigning ignorance doesn't always work for me...like the time I tried to sneak home a new puppy ("what dog, babe?"), or the times that my responses were, "No, I'm not drunk", "what girl? Oh, I didn't notice her..." and "you mean that was the last peice of cheesecake?":D

#4buck
11-30-2005, 5:10 PM
I HAVE A VERY GOOD AFTERMARKET BRAND SAFE THAT I PURCHUSED ABOUT 15 YRS. AGO. EVERYTHING IN IT (GUNS & AMMO ECT.) WAS VERY NEAT AND IN PLACE. NOW THAT I'M MARRIED (HAPPILY) WITH HER JEWLERY AND STUFF. IT'S A DAMN SHI#BOX. I'M BUYING 2 NEW SAFES WHEN I MOVE (SHORTLY) SHE CAN HAVE THE OLD ONE.:o

CaliTheKid
11-30-2005, 7:20 PM
I have a Champion Victory series that's been very good to me. Not sure what Dean Safe is selling them for now. I got a deal on it from a customer of their's who bought it had it delievered and then decided they wanted it in a different color but in the mean time had put a very small chip in the back corner of it. I think I paid around $1300 for it used but I'll have to check my register. Dean Safe should be able to hook you up with something your range.