PDA

View Full Version : Redistricting again...

Turbinator
10-21-2005, 9:43 AM
Folks,

There is apparently a measure to be voted on this time around (I've got the voting pamphlets and such but not the ballot yet) in CA. I forget the measure #, but it apparently has to do with redistricting. The Repubs seem to be pushing it (Arnie supports it).

Does anyone know what this measure is about and if we should vote for it, with the goal of furthering our shooting sport interests and hobby along?

Would appreciate any thoughtful discussion. Thanks!

Turby

Charliegone
10-21-2005, 9:58 AM
Yes, we should support prop 77. This would most certainly make politicians think twice before they vote for stupid gun laws. Why? The districts would be divided into "fair" districts rather than fixed ones. With fixed districts they don't have to worry about being voted out or being accountable because they know they have the vote from the district. IN other words no competition. There is no diversity. Which goes against all classical traditional liberal ideals upon which this country was founded on. This will make it fair for EVERYONE who runs. As for how the districts would be divided. If I remember correctly a 3 judge panel of retired judges will do the redistricting. Lets just hope they aren't 9th circuit retirees.;)

PressCheck
10-21-2005, 9:59 AM
Yes on all BUT 79 & 80!

Can'thavenuthingood
10-21-2005, 12:19 PM
The redistricting measure prohibits the current practice of dividing a city, a neighborhood or county. My current rep lives an hour and a half away from me on open road, not sitting in traffic time but actual 70mph 1 1/2 hrs. away in a different county. District covers parts of 3 counties.

By slicing up the neighborhoods, cities, towns and counties into voting blocs of dems or repubs the potlickers get to pick and choose their voters instead of the voters deciding.

http://www.voterguide.ss.ca.gov/prop77/args_rebuttals.shtml

Yes on 74-75-76-77

My thinking is we voted Arnold into office to fix things. Lets help him fixit and give him what he needs to do so. From where I am sitting he has upset all the right people.

Audio recording of KMJ 580's Ray Appleton interview with Mike Der Manuel Jr. and Rick Lehman... posted the files here for you to review.

http://www.kmj580.com/national_news/election.shtml

Vick

magsnubby
10-21-2005, 2:29 PM
The redistricting measure prohibits the current practice of dividing a city, a neighborhood or county. My current rep lives an hour and a half away from me on open road, not sitting in traffic time but actual 70mph 1 1/2 hrs. away in a different county. District covers parts of 3 counties.

By slicing up the neighborhoods, cities, towns and counties into voting blocs of dems or repubs the potlickers get to pick and choose their voters instead of the voters deciding.

That's exactly why we need Prop 77.

Anyone have the link that shows the Cal Congressional Districts? I can't seem to locate it right now but the 23rd district is a perfect example of why we need Prop 77

[/QUOTE=Can'thavenuthingood]My thinking is we voted Arnold into office to fix things. Lets help him fixit and give him what he needs to do so. From where I am sitting he has upset all the right people.[/QUOTE]

Already sent in my absentee ballot. Yes on 74-75-76 &77.

macman
10-21-2005, 3:09 PM
In the last election not a single seat in the state legislature changed hands. Imagine that. In the whole state not one incumbent Republican or Democrat lost their seat to the other party. Legislative districts are so gerrymandered in California it is ridiculous. I've heard cases where on one side of a street your in one district and on the other side a different district. Redistricting won't solve all of the states woes (which are plenty), but it's a good start. The way things are set up right now, the system is rigged to maintain the status quo.

Matt-man
10-21-2005, 4:40 PM
There are some maps at http://www.calvoter.org/voter/maps/ that show the districts.

This one (http://www.calvoter.org/voter/maps/statewide/congress.pdf) is the map that shows the congressional districts (it's a PDF). On the last page you can see district 23, and get a good idea of what we're talking about.

Turbinator
10-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks all, this was the confirmation I was looking for - I guess this is the measure that we were talking about on the old board threads.

It's got my vote!!

Turby