PDA

View Full Version : Another hi-cap magazine question

jpnosworthy
03-07-2009, 1:47 AM
I have some high-cap magazines that I am legally able to own and use, but I was wondering how much of a no-no is it to let someone else shoot one while I'm standing a few feet away? My gut tells me that it's a bad idea, but it's going to be annoying to have to buy 10 rounders just to let someone else try my rifle out.

Quiet
03-07-2009, 2:05 AM
I have some high-cap magazines that I am legally able to own and use, but I was wondering how much of a no-no is it to let someone else shoot one while I'm standing a few feet away? My gut tells me that it's a bad idea, but it's going to be annoying to have to buy 10 rounders just to let someone else try my rifle out.

As long as you are near by, you can legally loan a large capacity magazine to a non-prohibited person.

Penal Code 12020
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(22) The loan of a lawfully possessed large-capacity magazine between two individuals if all of the following conditions are met:
(A) The person being loaned the large-capacity magazine is not prohibited by Section 12021, 12021.1, or 12101 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code from possessing firearms or ammunition.
(B) The loan of the large-capacity magazine occurs at a place or location where the possession of the large-capacity magazine is not otherwise prohibited and the person who lends the large-capacity magazine remains in the accessible vicinity of the person to whom the large-capacity magazine is loaned.

jpnosworthy
03-07-2009, 2:14 AM
wow.. I totally skipped over that. Awesome.. thanks!

gcvt
03-07-2009, 2:44 AM
And it can't hurt to keep a copy of the Penal Code with you in case you run into an 'unknowledgeable'.

jpnosworthy
03-07-2009, 3:04 AM
I'll get a t-shirt with it printed on the back :thumbsup:

-J

And it can't hurt to keep a copy of the Penal Code with you in case you run into an 'unknowledgeable'.