PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of hand gun, Son to Father

GMG
03-06-2009, 8:15 PM
This has probably been brought up before.

My Youngest son lives in AZ. He wants to give me a hand gun that is not on the CA. DOJ list.

Can this be done?

CnCFunFactory
03-06-2009, 8:37 PM
Nope, not as I understand the current law. Move to Arizona, you'll have more fun there anyway. :-)

And I graciously accept that there are many more knowledgeable people on here than myself so I will kindly defer.

quiet-wyatt
03-06-2009, 8:43 PM
GMG,

I believe it can be. Intrafamily transfers are exempt from the Roster.

If he ships it, it will need to go through a Dealer FFL. Then, when doing the DROS, he would select the exempt notation: "12078PC intrafamily transfer".

See this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=137527

Hope that helps...
quiet-wyatt

Vin496
03-06-2009, 8:59 PM
This has probably been brought up before.

My Youngest son lives in AZ. He wants to give me a hand gun that is not on the CA. DOJ list.

Can this be done?

I'm not being rude, but this comes up a few times a week. I am usually happy to answer, but tonight I'm too tired to go into detail.

The answer is YES, this is perfectly legal via the intra familial transfer exemption in the law. Remember it has to go through a FFL here in California and you have to wait the 10 days.

Vin496
03-06-2009, 8:59 PM
Nope, not as I understand the current law. Move to Arizona, you'll have more fun there anyway. :-)

1st post and all wrong, lol.

hawk1
03-06-2009, 9:32 PM

First post and you wasted it on a wrong answer!

Absolutely his son can send a firearm that is not on the roster (no assault weapons or mags more than 10 rounds) to the fathers local FFL for transfer.

For CMG

Be sure the father checks with his local FFL for the cost to do the transfer. He can charge any amount he wants to do this so best to shop around before hand. Also ask the FFL if he will accept a shipment direct from the son (with a copy of his drivers liscens included). Some FFL's will some won't. Be sure you tell the dealer it is a Family Transfer thus exempt from the roster.

GMG
03-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey guys a wealth of info.

Thanks for the info I'll check with my FFL tomarrow!

CnCFunFactory
03-06-2009, 11:19 PM
ok, so now that I am batting a thousand, hello all! Let the ribbing continue! .....and to think I almost didn't answer.

Seesm
03-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Get use to it...

CnCFunFactory
03-07-2009, 2:59 AM
Get use to it...

It is all good. I wasn't 100% on the answer and well, I was wrong. I get what I get. :D