View Full Version : Grease On Glock HK Pistols?

03-06-2009, 7:08 PM
I was looking on youtube and I found a pretty popular guy recommending the use of grease on certain parts of semi auto pistols. For example slide rails, barrel lug, and on the inside of the slide where the barrel slides across the slide. Do many people do this. It sounds like a good idea as long as you don't get any grease on the barrel.

I also own a browning cynergy o/u and the manual recommends a "white lithium grease" from which I consequently picked up from OSH. It's just a generic automotive brand. Can I use this sparingly on the slide of my glock and hk?

I'll do the necessary steps to ensure it wears less and functions properly. Oil just isn't viscous enough to seem like it works well enough.

03-06-2009, 7:33 PM
Nope - absolutely no need. A little break free or other gun oil is all you need.

03-06-2009, 7:38 PM
Grease stays in place. Oil runs away.

03-06-2009, 8:04 PM
Can i use white lithium grease....

03-06-2009, 8:19 PM
Grease stays in place. Oil runs away.

Depends on the oil.

03-06-2009, 8:24 PM
I use the heavy slide glide on my Glock. It is very nice and Slide Glide the only thing I use on my semi-auto pistols.

03-06-2009, 8:26 PM
It is very nice and Slide Glide the only thing I use on my semi-auto pistols.

+1 :thumbsup:

03-06-2009, 8:33 PM
I use automotive store bought Molybdenum Assembly Lube. It is grease. It is black. It does not smell great. It is under $5 a squeeze tube. And it works great.

03-06-2009, 8:53 PM
Can't speak to your HK, but the Glock really does not need it. Follow the lube instructions in your owners manual. You only need 4-5 drops of oil. I have read that Glock Armorers use Breakfree, I have used it for 15 years on my Glock's with no issues. The Glock really likes to run on the dry side, and speaking from competition experience you will be fine with that little oil even for several hundred rounds in a dusty environment.

03-06-2009, 9:05 PM
Any lithium grease would work fine. I bought mine at Autozone. Comes in a bag with 2 or 3 squeeze tubes and it costs under 5 bucks.

Apply it on the barrel,frame, and slide rails where there's friction. It doesn't matter if it's metal or polymer. If there's friction, there's wear!

If it makes you feel any better, you can pay 3x the price for the exact same thing with just the word gun on the label.

03-06-2009, 9:11 PM
I use grease on my 1911 and CZ slide rails, but because they are metal/metal contact and a place where oil might run away.
But on the Glock, breakfree or other gun oil is just fine.

03-06-2009, 9:22 PM
Occasionally I'll dab a bit of Lithi-Shield (from the same people that make Weaponshield CLP) on my HK45. I put a tiny bit on the rails and a tiny bit on the inside of the slide just forward of the ejection port. Less is more with grease.

Is it necessary? No way. But it does make the slide smooth as heck and doesn't go anywhere. I usually do it only when I know the weapon is going to be sitting for a while in my nightstand without a range trip. Otherwise, the Weaponshield CLP is all I need.

03-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Has anyone worn out a gun yet because CLP or oil was used instead of grease?
Has anyone tried to shoot a greased gun in freezing temperature and see if it will work?

03-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Don't ever bet on an oiled / greased gun in freezing conditions. You will be disapointed.

03-07-2009, 1:46 AM
IMHO, grease is a bit unnecessary for either of these pistols. They should all handle either oil or grease without issue, but personally, I use oil for my Glocks. For me, grease tends to attract more crud. I typically clean the gun every 200-300 rounds but I've found the gun to be somewhat cleaner if I just use oil.

One competiton shooter I know puts close to 80,000 rounds through his gun each year. All he does is add oil to the rails and a few drops on the barrel, barrel hood, then he bore snakes it.. No grease or anything- no issues with reliability (or so he says :) )

03-07-2009, 2:17 AM
So down the line you decide to get rid of one of your guns. Which do you think would have more value? A gun with normal wear or a gun with less than normal wear?

I've seen guns with 10,000 rounds through them and they look like new.

I've also seen guns with 10,000 rounds through them and they looked like they had 100,000 .

03-07-2009, 6:34 AM
FWIW, Sig recommends TW-25B grease. My current routine is to use the TW-25B on parts that slide against each other, and oil on parts that rotate. Just like oil, you can over lubricate with the grease, which will lead to debris attachment if you are shooting in a dusty environment.

03-07-2009, 9:27 AM
I use Mobil 1 grease on my 1911's. On my 9mm I do warm it up with a mag before shooting it for points. Nothing like a 25 round burst to warm it up.

On my 40's they run in the cold so far and I haven't had to warm them up.

You can grease up your gun and put it in the safe in 10 years it's ready to go. Oil will not do that.

03-07-2009, 3:49 PM
You can grease up your gun and put it in the safe in 10 years it's ready to go. Oil will not do that.

That's very true.

Try putting grease on one gun and oil on the other. Put them both in a safe then take them out in 6 months and see what happens.

03-07-2009, 4:44 PM
what if you just put some of that copper anti seize back where glock puts it before they ship them

03-07-2009, 7:34 PM
I've started using grease on my guns. Makes the slides much smoother on my handguns. No issue with them clogging with too much crude as I clean them every time after use.

03-07-2009, 7:44 PM
FWIW go easy on all the lubes, a very little bit will do fine! Ever see anyone fire an over-lubed gun? It's like a plasma cloud of oil/grease envelopes the firearm with the first couple shots! Definitely not something you want to happen on a firearm that you need when the SHTF.

03-07-2009, 8:03 PM
My glock never really required alot of oil/grease to function flawlessly. If I overdid it, it would spray a black film after everyshot and I would end up with spackles of it on my forearms. Now with my XD its the same story, they don't need to run wet.

03-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Is the grease I have good enough. It's an automotive branded white lithium grease. Says it works in temps of 500 deg F. I've decided to put a SMALL amount of grease on slide rails, my question was if white lithium grease is good for this or should I buy an expensive gun grease version