PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Baby Their HK45?

insin
03-06-2009, 12:41 AM
I would imagine if you owned one you might baby your HK45 or treat it as a safe queen? They are not that common here in Cali. Here and there I guess, but still not too common. I guess you have to be into HKs...

I just don't see you being as hard with your HK45 compared to say... a USP.

Just wondering.

Sobriquet
03-06-2009, 2:04 AM
I shoot the crap out of mine. It's a shooter and a home defense gun, not a safe queen. I put another 150 rounds through it tonight.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Sobriquet47/brothers2.jpg

insin
03-06-2009, 2:20 AM
They are meant to be shot. That is true... Good to hear you give yours a good using.

Vin496
03-06-2009, 4:49 AM
Don't baby mine at all. I mean I don't throw it on the ground, but I definitely use it and enjoy it.

Ventura_Yak'r
03-06-2009, 6:38 AM
It's a tool, not a trophy... ok, maybe a cherished tool. But, it was built to be shot. You wouldn't enjoy it if it just sat. Like "Vin496" said, "Don't baby it or throw it on the ground... use it."

Miltiades
03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Well, if I had an HK45 (which I don't) I would certainly baby it. I'd put it in a fluffy new gun rug and keep it in my safe. I'd only take it out once in a while to shoot it, and only use standard pressure ammo (no 45 +P). Then I would clean it well, and put it back in its gun rug, while saying nice things to it.

Now if the gun were a Glock 21 costing half the price of the HK, I'd treat it roughly and only clean it once a year. Glocks expect that kind of treatment.

PolishMike
03-06-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't baby any gun I own.

I buy guns to shoot them.

Inkman
03-06-2009, 1:55 PM
^^

What he said. My guns get used...alot.

Al

CAL.BAR
03-06-2009, 2:15 PM
I don't baby mine. I shoot Wolf ammo through it and just clean it every time. Other than that - It's a work horse.

sammy
03-06-2009, 2:21 PM
I would shoot the hell out of mine if I had one. :wub:

Jeff P
03-06-2009, 4:49 PM
I don't baby mine, I even let other noobs shoot it when it's out. But, I do clean it ASAP.

nobody33
03-06-2009, 5:08 PM
It's my main duty weapon for patrol. So it gets treated like crap. Its in the rain, dust, getting bumped into things, scrapped on the ground, shot, left in a locker, etc etc. That's why I carry an HK on duty. It can take it and still go bang.

I carried a USP for several years. It's all beat down too.

Sobriquet
03-06-2009, 5:43 PM
It's my main duty weapon for patrol. So it gets treated like crap. Its in the rain, dust, getting bumped into things, scrapped on the ground, shot, left in a locker, etc etc. That's why I carry an HK on duty. It can take it and still go bang.

I carried a USP for several years. It's all beat down too.

That brought tears of joy to my eyes, Nobody. Carry her in good health.

ScottyBear
04-08-2009, 5:11 AM
Are the HK45's legal to purchase in California? I don't see it on the Cal approved list (although many places rent it).

Sobriquet
04-08-2009, 5:52 AM
Are the HK45's legal to purchase in California? I don't see it on the Cal approved list (although many places rent it).

It doesn't have a magazine disconnect, so it isn't eligible for the Roster. You can legally get one by moving into the state with one, by receiving it as an intra-familial gift from a qualifying out of state relative, or by purchasing it PPT from someone who acquired it legally.

Vin496
04-08-2009, 6:28 AM
It doesn't have a magazine disconnect, so it isn't eligible for the Roster. You can legally get one by moving into the state with one, by receiving it as an intra-familial gift from a qualifying out of state relative, or by purchasing it PPT from someone who acquired it legally.

Don't forget the Loaded Chamber Indicator(LCI), under the new rules for the test, it will be almost impossible for any gun to pass the test now, unless that gun iis especially designed to meet the requirements for this State.

Like the Ruger HRS-9

SpecV
04-08-2009, 6:44 AM
Hk's are too damn expensive to be kept in a safe!

Vin496
04-08-2009, 7:51 AM
Forgot, just yesterday, I scuffed up the frame on my P30 while messing around with light mounts. Oh well there goes the resale value, lol.

Sobriquet
04-08-2009, 9:37 AM
Forgot, just yesterday, I scuffed up the frame on my P30 while messing around with light mounts. Oh well there goes the resale value, lol.

If you even consider selling that, Vin, you should have your head examined.

... unless it's to me... ;)

Vin496
04-08-2009, 10:34 AM
If you even consider selling that, Vin, you should have your head examined.

... unless it's to me... ;)

I was holding off, till I found out last month HK makes the 10 rounders for it now, so I ordered those up, then got the gun. Went to mount my new X5L on it and it went on a little off center, when I tried to take it off, it scuffed up the rail.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_1322.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_1323.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_1324.jpg

Justintoxicated
04-08-2009, 3:10 PM
So this never happened?

http://firebaseamerica.blogspot.com/2007/10/new-h-45-and-californias-micro-stamping.html

Made in NH?

GenLee
04-08-2009, 3:20 PM
I was holding off, till I found out last month HK makes the 10 rounders for it now, so I ordered those up, then got the gun. Went to mount my new X5L on it and it went on a little off center, when I tried to take it off, it scuffed up the rail.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_1322.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_1323.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_1324.jpg

Man I want that really #$%@in' bad. :thumbsup: good for you and seriously, Thanks for rubbin it in. :thumbsup:

Vin496
04-08-2009, 3:35 PM
So this never happened?

http://firebaseamerica.blogspot.com/2007/10/new-h-45-and-californias-micro-stamping.html

Made in NH?

No the microstamping, is for the meantime dead. It has to do with the wording of the law, and how there can be no one company/person who can control the patent dealing with the technology. That being so, microstamping probably is not a realistic situation for at least 10 years.

Both of them are German made. Only the HK45 is now produced in the US, and I believe they may be getting ready to start producing, the 556/762 HK416 rifles next.

EDIT---

I just read the blog, and it's full of misinformation. It's not the microstamping that keep the guns out of California, it's the "Safe Handgun Roster" test, that requires a gun to have a mag disconnect and a Loaded Chamber Indicator(LCI) that can be clearly visible from 20 feet away as showing the gun is loaded.

The LCI is the reason you will see few if any new guns available for sale in California.

Vin496
04-08-2009, 3:36 PM
Man I want that really #$%@in' bad. :thumbsup: good for you and seriously, Thanks for rubbin it in. :thumbsup:

If you ever in North Orange/L.A. area fell free to tell me, and I'll let you try them out.

hawk1
04-08-2009, 4:33 PM

How bad? PM me if you want to keep your addiction private...:D

Irv
04-08-2009, 8:46 PM
I definetly shoot mine. Lately a little less. Don't want to go under 500 round of ammo.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/kz45/HK_ambi.jpg

Justintoxicated
04-09-2009, 1:56 AM
No the microstamping, is for the meantime dead. It has to do with the wording of the law, and how there can be no one company/person who can control the patent dealing with the technology. That being so, microstamping probably is not a realistic situation for at least 10 years.

Both of them are German made. Only the HK45 is now produced in the US, and I believe they may be getting ready to start producing, the 556/762 HK416 rifles next.

EDIT---

I just read the blog, and it's full of misinformation. It's not the microstamping that keep the guns out of California, it's the "Safe Handgun Roster" test, that requires a gun to have a mag disconnect and a Loaded Chamber Indicator(LCI) that can be clearly visible from 20 feet away as showing the gun is loaded.

The LCI is the reason you will see few if any new guns available for sale in California.

Cool, thats exactly what I thought after doing more research, but I figured if they were producing them in the US, specificaly for California residents, that these 2 thigns would have been incorperated as well. But I can't blame HK for saying F Cali.... Waiting on my HK Expert and glad I didn't cancel, since I have no hope for getting the HK45. That rail looks like it would damage easy on the 45 but I'm still jealous!

04-09-2009, 2:07 AM
I have a couple USPs and will probably move over the HK45. And she will get treated like her predecessors. SHOT on MANY occasions SHOOTING MANY rounds. At the end of the day, if she has performed to my expectations, she will get all scrubbed up and look like new again.

Sobriquet
04-09-2009, 6:31 AM
If we ever get rid of the 10 round limit (Nordyke, two weeks, right? ;) ), the P30 is the very first thing I'd buy.

Head over to HKPRO, Vin. They probably could suggest a way of cleaning that up. If you are gonna keep it, I say it just adds character.

Vin496
04-09-2009, 7:00 AM
If we ever get rid of the 10 round limit (Nordyke, two weeks, right? ;) ), the P30 is the very first thing I'd buy.

Head over to HKPRO, Vin. They probably could suggest a way of cleaning that up. If you are gonna keep it, I say it just adds character.

Why wait? HK makes 10 round mags for it now. Get it and just have them disassemble the 15 round mags and send them to you seperately. That way in 2 weeks(LOL), you can put them back together, and you have you 15 round mags for SD, and 10 round range mags.

Just to clarify it's the P30 that I scuffed up.

Vin496
04-09-2009, 8:24 AM
Cool, thats exactly what I thought after doing more research, but I figured if they were producing them in the US, specificaly for California residents, that these 2 thigns would have been incorperated as well. But I can't blame HK for saying F Cali.... Waiting on my HK Expert and glad I didn't cancel, since I have no hope for getting the HK45. That rail looks like it would damage easy on the 45 but I'm still jealous!

It's not really HK saying F Cali, it's HK nor any other company wanting to completely redesign their pistols to comply with the new requirements. It's not like you can just make the LCI that's already on them a little bigger and they work. It would require that a pistol from the beginning be designed with the intent to have it pass the LCI standards.

Here is what is needed to pass, under the new requirements the LCI.

(c) As used in this section, a "chamber load indicator" means a
device that plainly indicates that a cartridge is in the firing
chamber. A device satisfies this definition if it is readily visible,
has incorporated or adjacent explanatory text or graphics, or both,
and is designed and intended to indicate to a reasonably foreseeable
adult user of the pistol, without requiring the user to refer to a
user's manual or any other resource other than the pistol itself,
whether a cartridge is in the firing chamber.

What that means is that by looking at the pistol there should be a picture or text on the LCI that can clearly been seen that indicates the pistol is loaded. It may not sound like a big difference, but it is.

The only semi auto that I know has passed since this law went into effect, has been the Ruger I mentioned above in another post, that was specifically designed/modified to meet the requirements.

And here is what a LCI that can pass the test looks like.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/lci2.jpg

Future designs may well have these features, so it's not like we'll never get new guns in California again. The Mag Disconnect is an option most manufacturers offer(it is available on the HK45), because many Police Departments are adopting it, I'm sure California style LCI indicators will probably be a preferred featured sometime soon, so more Manufacturers will start offering pistols with this feature also.

Sobriquet
04-09-2009, 9:04 AM
Why aren't I running out to get a P30? If I'm limited to 10 rounds, I'd rather get a P2000. If I can have 15, I'd take the P30. I'll wait to see what comes of it.

Either way, there are things higher on my agenda list right now like getting an AR and maybe a Remington 870 Police. I've already got a P7M8 to shoot 9mm if I need/want to.

By the way... I had no idea about that LCI and what was required. Not only is that hideous, but I can't imagine gun makers designing that into their pistols just for California consumers. I hope we can strike that down...

Vin496
04-09-2009, 9:34 AM
Why aren't I running out to get a P30? If I'm limited to 10 rounds, I'd rather get a P2000. If I can have 15, I'd take the P30. I'll wait to see what comes of it.

Either way, there are things higher on my agenda list right now like getting an AR and maybe a Remington 870 Police. I've already got a P7M8 to shoot 9mm if I need/want to.

By the way... I had no idea about that LCI and what was required. Not only is that hideous, but I can't imagine gun makers designing that into their pistols just for California consumers. I hope we can strike that down...

I understand, heck the P7M8 is a far nicer gun than the P30. I'm covered in the AR and shotgun department, so that's why I went P30. I sold my USP 9 compact to pay for the P30, so it was an even wash for me.

Yeah a lot of people think it's the mag disconnect, I think it's all about the LCI, as most makers offer the mag disconnect as an option, since it is wanted by some Departments, and that of course is the market most gun makers want, as it adds "street cred" to their pistols.

Here's my current HK collection. Only 2 HKs I have sold have been a USP SS fullsize 9mm, and a compact 9mm, that I sold to pay for the P30. And I have a big feeling, I'll be adding a 556 rifle when they come out.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_1321.jpg

Jeff P
04-09-2009, 10:54 AM
There's a very nice group of HK pistols!!!

Sobriquet
04-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Beautiful collection, Vin.

That P30 really is a full size gun. I don't think I'd ever want to use that for CCW use, but now that they've released the V1 variant with safety/decocker and it can be carried Condition 1, it'd make a heck of a duty gun with a 15 round magazine for a lucky LEO.