View Full Version : am I dilusional?

03-05-2009, 11:24 PM
the past couple days I have been thinking about my issue of not going out shooting more often due to budget ect. Most of my guns are high cailber or expensive or can't find ammo for wel some cheap or none at all. and sit for ages, but cant afford 30-06, 8mm and 7.62x54r, ect. Is it kind of wise for me to just get a couple more 22lr rifles and shoot the heck out of em and my pistols? and just stop bringing out the old guns at all or possibly downsize it a bit?

03-05-2009, 11:42 PM
get a 10/22. Wallyworld has 500 rd bricks for 14.99, go have some fun.
and/or start reloading!

03-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Lots of folks are 'shooting cheaper' these days...and buying more guns is never not a good thing. Personally, I love shooting 22LR just because it's so damn cheap and so damn fun. Sure, it's fun to go home with a sore shoulder sometimes; ya gotta shoot the big boys sometimes but maybe not quite as often due to cost. If you're not reloading, definitely look into it if you're interested in cutting costs.

Now as far as the possibility of never bringing out the big guns again, or downsizing...that's just crazy talk! :D

03-06-2009, 12:16 AM
lol, ya the thing is I always bring out friends and need to bring mnore guns hence why I want more 22s and i have 2 10 22 rifles already i like the fact i can share mags ect, but ones a fully dect out target rife and ones aplinker, now I want a third and liek cant decide for another beat 10/22 or a lever action sice i wana stay under 350 bucks. I might grab a henry lever cuz it shoots 22lr, 22long, and 22 short but dunno yet.

03-06-2009, 2:57 AM
Man, check out a Henry large loop carbine. Well in your budget, all made in the USA, and the smoothest lever gun out of the box there is. Mine is great and shoots everything I put into it. Great customer service also, when you email the President answers, and quickly.

Kid Stanislaus
03-06-2009, 5:09 AM
Take up reloading.

03-06-2009, 7:14 AM
Take up reloading.

I do reload, and btw my 556 reloads are awesome. :D but still and I can afford .223 just not anything over that caliber.

Man, check out a Henry large loop carbine. Well in your budget, all made in the USA, and the smoothest lever gun out of the box there is. Mine is great and shoots everything I put into it. Great customer service also, when you email the President answers, and quickly.

I was thinking of the reg type with the octagon barrel, but one thing is I want to carry this on my hike, so I need a sling, but would it be easy to make or have a scabbord you wear like a sling and keep the gun in that for my hikes?

03-06-2009, 8:33 AM
Take up reloading.

the idea that reloading is cheaper is a misconception....reloading is a hobby in itself.....

I reload and I thought by doing one caliber I would save a ton of money....but because I can keep my cost per round down I shoot twice to three times as much, so I end up spending what I spent and then some when I was crying about not being able to afford ammo, and I have the added cost of range fees, targets, cleaning the gun more often etc.....oh and dont forget to add in the time it takes to do it......what is your time worth.....

reload if you are going to shoot 5k or more of a particular round a year (this means you are probably involved in competive shooting...add more expense for that) or have tons of free time and dont plan on gong to the range anymore often than you do now.

03-06-2009, 9:28 AM
I still love my Mossberg 702 Plinkster just as much as my 10/22. I bought it for $120 about 5 years ago, they're listed for $162 on Mossberg's site right now.

03-06-2009, 9:29 AM
In my opinion reloading does not save me any money, it simply allows me to shoot 2-3 times more than people who do not reload.

I have purchased 22 conversion kits for several of my guns. The kits are not cheap, but they do allow more time with some of my favorite firearms.

03-06-2009, 9:37 AM
I was thinking along those line myself. No way am I selling but, looking to buy a .22 pistol to go with my rifle. A 22 is a fun and cheap way to stay sharp. 22.00 for 500 rounds of 22 is a bunch of shooting time.

03-06-2009, 9:50 AM
In the last month I've bought a .22lr pump rifle and .22lr lever rifle, and am thinking about putting a .22lr precision rifle setup together or buying a kimber from CMP. The 22s are always fun to shoot.

The growth of my 22 collection is "for the children" but I will have a blast with them as well.

03-06-2009, 10:56 AM
It's the reason I've been shooting alot of .22 lr lately and decided to upgrade my 10/22 with a new stock and barrel.

Trench Broom
03-06-2009, 3:29 PM
Anybody got info on the AR 22lr conversion units? I've seen them offered by Ciener and by Atchisson. Is one better than the other? Are they pretty much the same?

03-06-2009, 5:42 PM
lol well I just ended up buying my 3rd ruger 10/22 today lmao, because I figured what the hell I dont need more mags ect so its easier, and me and my friend go to the desert twice a month and hike and are planning to bring the .22s out every trip and I dont want to carry my target model cuz its like 13 lbs, and dont wana risk damaging the scope ect, so I got another reg one that I can thrash with my first one out in the desert, plus these rifles seem to last forever, I put 23k rounds myself through it. still holds tight shot groups. the only thing I dont like is the plastic trigger gaurd on the new one so when I destroy the stock or something I will buy a metal gaurd for it when I get new stock. Can someone tell I like 10/22's hehe. so now I can hike with my friend with light guns to shoot and bring out a couple to the range when I bring out the target.