PDA

View Full Version : Green laser tac light

ander
03-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Looking to find a tac light with GREEN laser for my Sig P220 and possibly on my rifle.

A friend of mine got a green laser pointer and it puts the red lasers to shame.

I want to find a good value unit to use on my HD gun and possibly on my SU-16.

I'd appreciate by suggestions! Thanks.

Maddog5150
03-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Barrow your friends and try to clear your house at night to see if you like it first. Human eyes pick up green far better than any other color so it might seem overly bright even though it looks cool. I bought one that was just 5mw and the washback (dont remember if thats the correct name) of the laser on the walls is extremely bright and almost blinding and is worse if you have white walls.

cbaer5
03-05-2009, 11:41 PM
don't know of any that have both but the laser max unigreen was made to mount in between of other lights and your weapon its realy small and light ive got one its great but expensive batteries

JDay
03-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Looking to find a tac light with GREEN laser for my Sig P220 and possibly on my rifle.

A friend of mine got a green laser pointer and it puts the red lasers to shame.

I want to find a good value unit to use on my HD gun and possibly on my SU-16.

I'd appreciate by suggestions! Thanks.

The green laser also leaves a visible beam leading all the way to you at night. Some even do this is daylight.

Maddog5150
03-06-2009, 12:41 AM
oh yeah thats true also. its kind of trippy and is fun to stare at it when your drunk. "look its a lightsaber! whoooooooooooooooooosh! whhheeeeeoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Shhhhhhhhhk!"

echang86
03-06-2009, 1:04 AM
Yeah green lasers are awesome. If only Crimson Trace would jump on it...

Vin496
03-06-2009, 4:48 AM
This is the only 1 piece combo I know of. I have one on order and it is supposed to ship around the end of this month.

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=48

I was originally going to go with a laser max uni with a streamlight attached underneath, but decided against it because it add 2 sets of controls. I just prefer an all in one unit.

Kid Stanislaus
03-06-2009, 5:28 AM
How do the batteries hold up with the green laser? I'm think'n power consumption is higher. I base this on all my years of engineering laser sights! ;)

ander
03-06-2009, 6:29 AM
I have played with a green laser pointer and agree that it can be too bright and also give away a position. However the reason I'm interested in this type of setup is that it would serve as a "less than lethal" first line of defense (kinda like a warning shot). Plus I I'm flipping on a weapon light my position is compronised with or without a laser.

Thanks for the input. I'm very tempted to order the light linked above but it seems that since these green laser weaponlights are in their infancy I am going to have to do the tough thing and wait.

Or not...

maxicon
03-06-2009, 9:34 AM
Green lasers are mechanically a lot more complex than red lasers, as the laser output is shifted into the green wavelength by a crystal, then goes through an IR filter (if you're lucky).

Hopefully the expensive ones are built securely, but there are still more things to go wrong, and they are a good bit bulkier than red lasers.

Sam
03-06-2009, 11:43 AM
The green laser also leaves a visible beam leading all the way to you at night. Some even do this is daylight.

I know this is a discussion about green lasers, but it has been my experience that a quality red laser is not visible unless there are particles in the air such as at the range. Before I shoot I turn it on and I can see the laser dot on the target but not in the air. When I do shoot I can see the laser in the air, but by that time in a self defense situation my position has been given away anyway.

tiko
03-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Visible wave lenght are between .4 micrometer to .7, so the wave lenght is not so different between red and green. they created red first because longer wave lenght = easier and first material used was ruby. Now too many materials and levels...
In the lab they have purple laser, but what for? I stick with the red.

cactustactical
03-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Red is the way to go with lasers, I have Crimson Trace on my 1911 and they are spot on. no trace back from target and compromised position. If I get into the ish at night I won't put a weapon light on either, darkness is your friend :D

Sam
03-06-2009, 11:33 PM
darkness is your friend :D

You still need to be sure what you're shooting at.

cactustactical
03-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm always sure of what I am shooting at :)

I'd rather be vailed in a shroud of darkness and have my opponent lit up like X-Mas tree. :D

thawein1856
03-07-2009, 3:12 PM
Well, I have the Viridian X5L, which is the green laser with light combo rail device and I LOVE IT!!! Been out with it half a dozen times and thinks it's 10X better then the Crimson Trace. much easier to see inside and out and at longer ranges. Plus since it is parrallel to the barrel of the gun, once you have the left/right set then you only need to worry about the up/down. Whereas the crimsion, at different ranges, you have to modify both.

I've got mine on a XD9 tactical and not had one issue.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/thawein1856/DSC06741.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/thawein1856/DSC06750.jpg

cbaer5
03-07-2009, 4:01 PM
thats a nice combo but i think a little big still think the unimax is the way to go

Sam
03-07-2009, 6:40 PM
Well, I have the Viridian X5L, which is the green laser with light combo rail device and I LOVE IT!!! Been out with it half a dozen times and thinks it's 10X better then the Crimson Trace. much easier to see inside and out and at longer ranges. Plus since it is parrallel to the barrel of the gun, once you have the left/right set then you only need to worry about the up/down. Whereas the crimsion, at different ranges, you have to modify both.

I've got mine on a XD9 tactical and not had one issue.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/thawein1856/DSC06741.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/thawein1856/DSC06750.jpg

That may be nice and all, but I can carry my gun with the crimson trace grips. I guess if it was strictly a nightstand gun it would be different.

Kid Stanislaus
03-07-2009, 8:02 PM
For most of us our SD shooting is going to be in the arm's length to 20 feet range and the minor shift in POA is not signifigant. Red or green, if you put the dot on the perp's chest and squeeze the trigger you'll get a COM hit.

Vin496
03-07-2009, 8:05 PM
For most of us our SD shooting is going to be in the arm's length to 20 feet range and the minor shift in POA is not signifigant. Red or green, if you put the dot on the perp's chest and squeeze the trigger you'll get a COM hit.

Just make sure you actually have the laser sighted in. I see it at the range all the time, people thinking you just slap a laser on and your going to hit the target. You would be surprised how guys will shoot at targets 7 yards away, and are barely nicking the arms on those life size silhouettes.