PDA

View Full Version : New to firearms, looking for some direction

FordGabe
03-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi everyone! I'm Gabe and I'm from San Jose. I've only shot guns once, and do not have any close friends or family who are involved with firearms, but I want to learn and do it right. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go to learn the very basics about how to operate a gun, and the logistics associated? Hope I don't sound too dumb, just want to do it right!
Gabe

mvpatriot
03-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Find a local NRA instructor & join a local club. Shoot as much as you can, and get ready to start a seriously addicting hobby!
And welcome to the board!

B.D.Dubloon
03-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Get a 10/22. Everyone's first gun should be a 10/22.

Omega13device
03-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Find a local NRA instructor & join a local club. Shoot as much as you can, and get ready to start a seriously addicting hobby!
And welcome to the board!
:iagree:

Start with a good, basic safety course that teaches you both safety and marksmanship basics. You'll have a chance to shoot some different handguns and learn how they work. Then go from there.

One Shot, One Dropped
03-05-2009, 11:33 PM
FordGabe, do you work at WheelWorks?

pullnshoot25
03-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi everyone! I'm Gabe and I'm from San Jose. I've only shot guns once, and do not have any close friends or family who are involved with firearms, but I want to learn and do it right. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go to learn the very basics about how to operate a gun, and the logistics associated? Hope I don't sound too dumb, just want to do it right!
Gabe

You don't sound dumb at all, you are doing the right thing by seeking information.

I would recommend attending a class with an NRA instructor or maybe even a fellow Calgunner for some safety lessons and range time (I am sure some of us operate on the ammo and food principle, hehe :) ). You can find a plethora of information here on picking out the perfect first rifle/pistol/shotgun and any legal questions in between.

Welcome to shooting and welcome to Calguns!

-N8

5150Marcelo
03-05-2009, 11:34 PM
10/22
AR
Shotgun
to start.

Welcome!

mvpatriot
03-05-2009, 11:36 PM
10/22
AR
Shotgun
to start.

Welcome!

From 10/22 to AR.....
Now that's ambitious!

Thefeeder
03-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Pay the money and buy high quality firearms....If you liked the Yugo...Disregard anything I say

5150Marcelo
03-05-2009, 11:57 PM
From 10/22 to AR.....
Now that's ambitious!

LOL... I meant that every collection needs one of these.

oaklander
03-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi Gabe and welcome!

There are three main types of "guns." You can start with any of them, but rifles (IMHO) are easiest to learn on.

They are:

pistols/revolvers
shotguns
rifles

If you start with a rifle, start with something that doesn't kick too much so that you won't develop a flinch.

.22 caliber rifles are good to learn on, and the ammo is cheap.

Basically, you need the following to get started:

1) a rifle
2) ammo
3) cleaning supplies
4) a rifle bag or case
5) hearing protection (earplugs or muffs)
6) eye protection

You can get all of this for under 300 or 400 dollars, if you get an inexpensive rifle.

You will want to learn TWO basic things:

1) gun safety
2) gun laws

What you might want to do is to contact your local shooting range and see if they offer any classes for new shooters. You can also get trained by working with any experienced (and safe) shooter.

The main thing is safety, and staying legal.

Feel free to PM me if I can help, or if you would like to go to the range with me some time up here in the Oakland area.

Gabe

oaklander
03-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Here's some more stuff to to learn:

1) gun safety
2) how to clean your gun and when
3) how to disassemble your gun
4) what to take when you go to the range
5) how to store your gun
6) how to use your gun (sight picture, etc.)
7) what is legal and not legal with respect to shooting your gun, transporting your gun, and storing your gun
8) use of iron sights vs optics
9) where to buy gun parts, guns and ammo

nagorb
03-06-2009, 1:17 AM
Welcome to calguns:thumbsup:

10/22s are great I just got my first one and I really wish I had gotten it first. But 10/22s can be money pits, first its a new bolt buffer then a new hammer and sear, then barrel and it just keeps going.

I would suggest takeing a class or if you want I'm sure one of us will gladly lend a hand, its an excuse to go shooting:D

B.D.Dubloon
03-06-2009, 1:22 AM
Welcome to calguns:thumbsup:

10/22s are great I just got my first one and I really wish I had gotten it first. But 10/22s can be money pits, first its a new bolt buffer then a new hammer and sear, then barrel and it just keeps going.

I would suggest takeing a class or if you want I'm sure one of us will gladly lend a hand, its an excuse to go shooting:D

If you haven't gotten a barrel yet, get one of these closeout 77/22 GM barrels:
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=323852
and make some shims for it. You can buy a shim kit but it is cheaper to make your own and pretty easy. One ragged hole at fifty yards isn't bad for under a hundred bucks.

SanSacto
03-06-2009, 1:29 AM
Welcome Gabe. I joined Calguns about a year and a half ago not knowing jack about guns. Calguns has taught me everything I need to know. Just hang around and search whatever question you have at the moment.

nagorb
03-06-2009, 2:05 AM
watchout for the 10/22 spendathon you can buy complete custom rifles better and cheaper than the 10/22 spendathon, they will be more accurate and reliable as well. Check out Magnum Research .22LR imo much better than throwing a grand at a ruger. There are very affordable ways to go with .22LR
Henry, Marlin make xcellent affordable lever rifles and the .22LR bolt rifles are *very* affordable. I think the Browning BuckMark .22LR is 3x the rifle a 10/22 is and you don't have to spend a dime to make it accurate or reliable.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=004B&cat_id=021&type_id=026

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=MLR22H

but how is that any fun?
you don't need to spend much on a 10/22 most of the mods you can do yourself or get someone to rework the factor parts for fairly cheap.

Kid Stanislaus
03-06-2009, 6:13 AM
Pay the money and buy high quality firearms....If you liked the Yugo...Disregard anything I say

This is sound info. Take your time, save your money, buy a high quality firearm. I've got cheap guns, medium priced guns and expensive guns. I could've saved myself a lot of cash and learning the hard way by just saving up until I could've afforded a high quality item.

Dr Rockso
03-06-2009, 8:45 AM
If you want to learn both safety and how to properly shoot a rifle, Appleseed is a great place to start (http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule.htm). The downside is that the closest locations to SJ are all about 3 hours away (Fresno, Sacramento, San Luis Obispo). The first day is instruction, the second day is optional and you mostly just shoot. You don't need any expensive gear, in fact if you call them ahead of time you can usually get a loaner rifle. If you want to build a solid and cheap .22 rifle that's good for this sort of shooting you just need a regular 10/22, a pair of $55 Tech-Sights (http://www.tech-sights.com/), some cheap sling swivels (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=190783), and a GI web sling (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=174603).

tcrpe
03-06-2009, 8:47 AM
Gabe

:thumbsup:

duck814
03-06-2009, 8:52 AM
Get the basics here in Cali., Handgun + shotty :).

Greg-Dawg
03-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Gabe

I don't recall Gabe asking what type of gun to get. Please stop and read before posting.

The first step is to take an NRA basic firearms class in your local area. Some will specialize in handguns, rifles or shotguns. Make sure you check the instructor's credentials before setting up an appointment. Here's the NRA site for San Jose: http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp?Location=USACA&Type=

I commend you for taking the first step in learning, rather than buy a gun and figuring it out yourself.