PDA

View Full Version : CCW in Ventura County

m1371
10-20-2005, 4:19 AM
Hello all.

I had just registered and posted this question before the forum went down, so here goes again.

Does anyone have any information on Ventura County's CCW policy? Fairly easy to get one issued there or restrictive?

I currently have my CCW issued through Orange County, but am looking into moving to the Thousand Oaks area due to work requirements. Would like to get my permit renewed through Ventura County, but if it's going to be a PITA I might have to seriously reconsider.

Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Red Flag
10-20-2005, 11:56 AM
From www.packing.org (http://www.packing.org)

General notes

Date updated: Jul 30, 2005 @ 1:09:30 am EDT
CA DOJ records indicate there are 715 permits in this county as of 2003. County population as of 7/1/2000 = 758,651
The Ventura County Sheriff has been described as being fairly liberal in the issuance of permits.
The detailed information above was provided by a California packer other than the State Admin.
Application process

Date updated: Jul 30, 2005 @ 1:10:33 am EDT
Application is made through the Ventura County Sheriff. (http://www.vcsd.org/) The Sheriff is the approving authority for the county with exception to the city of Simi Valley, where approval is deferred to the local Chief of Police. As with the rest of the state, the (civilian) permit is good for two years and must be renewed at that time.
Ventura Co. CCW Criteria (http://www.vcsd.org/frequently_asked_questions/ccw.htm)
Documents required

Date updated: Jul 30, 2005 @ 1:11:35 am EDT
Completion of classroom training and range qualification is required. Range qualification consists of 2 shots within 5 seconds at 3, 7, and 10 yards; and 2 shots within 10 seconds at 15 yards. Then the process is repeated, for a total of 16 shots.
Fees for the application process are estimated at:

$102 for the application and departmental costs
$400 for training Admin note: CA DOJ fee is $25 Time constraints:
Up to the maximum of 90 days for Sheriff's approval
Up to 9 weeks for renewal processChris

Sawdust
10-21-2005, 8:21 AM
Well, you are going to be disappointed if my experience is the norm here.

I submitted my application in 10/04 (that be 51 weeks ago).

In February, having not heard anything, I call and am told that there is only one person who does the background checks and since he only does it part-time it can take up to six months for that alone.

Call back in April, again having not heard anything, and speak to the gentleman who actually does the background checking. Yup, he confirms that my application is in the stack, but it's a big stack, and renewals come first as they come in. He tries to brighten my day by telling me that he now works on these full-time. They can't add any more manpower to this task due to budget cuts, so he says.

Now, here we are almost one year since I submitted my application, and...nothing.

Although, supposedly, Sheriff Bob Brooks is "fairly liberal" in issuing CCW's, I think that it is time to throw the BS flag on that supposition.

I find it very hard to believe that "the stack" is so big that it takes a year to get to my application; I am now of the opinion that Mr. Brooks is an anti-gunner, and his policy is not to have the stones to deny but to just throw the applications in processing limbo.

Well, he is an elected official, so we will just have to look forward to the next election perhaps. :mad:

The irony of it all is that just a few months ago Mr. Brooks wrote an editorial for the local rag after we had a multiple murder occur and one of the messages in his piece was that people needed to realize that the police couldn't be everywhere at once and to be prepared to handle their own defense.

Well, I'm trying Bobby, how about a hand? :rolleyes:

Sawdust