PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Ft. Benning for BCT

DBK
03-05-2009, 6:40 PM
Anyone ever gone there? From what I understand it's the toughest place for Army BCT, but I'm sure I'll be glad I went there after the fact.

If shooting an M-16 is like shooting an AR, I know I'll be qualifying as an Expert. :D

Headed to Ft. Sam Houston afterwards for 68W AIT and then volunteering for whatever Afghanistan deployment I can find with the Guard.

bobfried
03-05-2009, 7:22 PM
Damn I had to Google 68W, it's still weird to see medical MOS not be in the 91 series.

During BCT, remember one thing: YOU DON'T KNOW JACK!

Don't volunteer for anything, don't stand out, don't be a leader, don't be a hero and don't be a smart ***. The more you blend in the better you will be, if you think sucking up and being the poster boy will get you anything in BCT your gonna get ream. It's the place where they break you down and build you into what the Army wants, NOT a place where you want to excel. All the "stud" in my platoon ended up crying in the corner at one point or another, one of the guy I left to BCT from MEPS with was in that group. He kept on bragging about how he was a Varsity wrestler and it was easy for him, soon enough he got smoked so hard he literally broke down and cry for an hour, he stopped raising his hand to demonstrate after that. I was also a varsity wrestler, matter of fact my coach was a retired Colonel and assistant coach was a Force Recon Marine. They told me to STFU and do what my uniform was designed for....BLEND IN.

Don't know much about Benning but I can say Ft Sam is the best place to be in the Army when your 18 and single. Once you get some liberties it's great, usually combat medics gets it pretty hard there versus the other MOS. Your gonna learn to love the Hacienda and the PX. Be sure to make it out to San Antonio and check out the Riverwalk, that haven't changed in decades and anyone that's been to Ft. Sam will share that memory with you. Be careful about alcohol and the opposite sex when you get to Ft. Sam, compared with a combat arms intensive place like Benning your gonna be in for a shock. Let's just say if Benning was a monastery than Ft Sam is a whore house; and no I am NOT exaggerating.

I have a buddy at BNOC right now in Ft Sam, he said it's the same when he went through his AIT almost 15 years ago.

Requiem
03-05-2009, 7:33 PM
Anyone ever gone there? From what I understand it's the toughest place for Army BCT, but I'm sure I'll be glad I went there after the fact.

If shooting an M-16 is like shooting an AR, I know I'll be qualifying as an Expert. :D

Headed to Ft. Sam Houston afterwards for 68W AIT and then volunteering for whatever Afghanistan deployment I can find with the Guard.

The AQT is mostly speed-related.... make sure you can change mags fast and take positions fast if you want expert. As a Marine, I had the advantage of slow fire most of the time except in the sitting position. Good luck. I myself will be at Ft. Benning sometime in the next few months for jump school. Take care.

shooterdave
03-05-2009, 9:28 PM
i went to ft benning last year i graduated on valentines day. i'm a 92y. some tips don't volunteer for anything usually its a trap to get the know it alls. qualification isn't that easy i thought i knew everything. the m16a2 we had ranged from barnd new or arsenal rebuilt all the way to VERY well used. mine was in the middle and they are usually mixmasters with say fn uppers and colt lowers and vice versa plus a few recycled m16a1 lowers for good measure. the boot camp itself isn't that hard it's more of a mind game than anything else. just blend in and don't act like you anything. the AQT usually requires a few tries but some people are better at it than others it's different than just shooting at paper. good luck.

SuperSet
03-05-2009, 9:39 PM
DBK, make the most of it and enjoy your time at Sand Hill. The first part is the hardest starting with the whole 30th AG BS. Once you go downrange, you'll see quite a bit of PT so I hope you've been running. Other than that, there's nothing really that difficult except all that damn running. Good luck and thanks for serving.

dwa
03-05-2009, 9:54 PM
just be quiet do what your told, an m16 will be exactly like an ar however your weapon will probably be beaten up pretty bad. don't volunteer for anything don't sass back to anyone and assume everything you do is wrong when confronted by a Drill. a good answer for when you screw up (everything you could possibly do is a screw up remember that its a recurring theme) No excuse drill sergeant.

11Z50
03-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Thank you for your service, young stud. Ft Benning, like Parris Island, and other places is the birthplace of many real men. It's like going to Yale or Harvard in a man's world.

You will soon embark on a journey that you will never forget, and will define who you really are.

Stand in the back row and STFU.

Good luck!

an ancient one speaks....

Maddog5150
03-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Hot and humid. I graduated from Benning in August then les in September after jump school. I spent 19-20 weeks there and it was the best time of my life.

Whitesmoke
03-05-2009, 11:32 PM
ahh...Sand hill and VD Drive (Victory Drive)....man I'm getting old...I havn't been there since 1991! The barracks were all almost new then...I went to basic and AIT there when I was 17. Went to my first strip joint and drank in my first bar in Columbus during a 4th of July weekend pass...:party:

11Z50
03-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Benning is a place that is good and bad for me.......early on it sucked, but got better in later visits. I went to many schools there, and as you progress in your career, you go to training like Master Gunner and Sniper School. My last time there it was for my son's graduation, Version 3.0 Infantry....

Benning's school for boys produces real men that this country needs. I am proud to call Benning real beginning, as thousands of others have.

AlliedArmory
03-06-2009, 2:01 AM
i went to basic training there in 1998. when are you going? i was there in july and boy that is a rough time to be there. too hot and humid. during the tail end of it, it was raining a lot. i was part of 2nd batallion 54th inf. i think it was nick named hells kitchen.

just be quiet and dont volunteer for anything. when a drill sgt asks...you were wrong always. just do what you are told and everything will be fine. i dont know if its the hardest, because i dont have anything else to compare it with.

just be physically fit to run a few miles. rest is pretty easy. definitely the roughest part is the road marches. if i can remember correctly, the longest one we did was 18 miles

DBK
03-06-2009, 2:47 AM
Thanks very much for all the replies, everyone. It really is encouraging.

I leave in about 2 weeks, so I suppose the weather won't be as bad as it could be. Guess I got lucky in that regard. :D

Manic Moran
03-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Don't volunteer for anything,

Although this is rule #1, rule #2 is 'volunteer.'

Two reasons.

Firstly, if you never volunteer to do anything, this will be noticed and you'll pay for it.
Secondly, there are the occasional plum assignment which you won't get unless you volunteer for them. For example, in Basic I volunteered for the platoon admin position (Housemouse, it was called) the first night. Best move I ever made.. while the rest of the platoon were being beasted, I got to sit in the DS's office filing paperwork whilst I heard the dulcet tones of "DOWN... (Attention to detail).. UP... (Teamwork is the key)..." Sometimes they don't tell you if it'll be good or bad when they ask for volunteers, it just comes down to dumb luck.

On the other hand, if you volunteer for everything, you will be viewed as a suckup and attract the wrong attention anyway.

From what I understand it's the toughest place for Army BCT

There is an argument that says that Knox, being the other main training post for front-line soldiers, might be tougher. The problem with Benning is that it's a very high-profile post, and tends to be under tighter scrutiny, not least from the politicians.

Of course, when Knox and Benning merge, it'll be irrelevant anyway.

Enjoy yourself!

NTM

thebloodsonthewall
03-06-2009, 1:40 PM
I wish you the best of luck. I will be leaving for Benning on June 23.

mr. wonderful
03-06-2009, 9:31 PM
Yeah im leaving for benning as well in august, then ft sam

echang72
03-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks very much for all the replies, everyone. It really is encouraging.

I leave in about 2 weeks, so I suppose the weather won't be as bad as it could be. Guess I got lucky in that regard. :D

hey good luck out there man, its gonna be tiring physically and mentally .. never quit , just keep your head up and drive on :D

-eddie

NiteQwill
03-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Ahh... good ol' Benning...

I was at A Co 1/38

Then C Co 232 at Ft Sam Houston (best time EVER! If you don't have a girlfriend, don't start; if you have a girlfriend, you better break up now. Don't waste too much of your money in San Antonio! It will suck you in!)

Then D Co 187 at FSH and Ft. Lewis for ASI school

Then the Army gave me a whole bunch of free vacations to places I never want to go again ;)

Seems like you're following the same path.

I shot expert, perfect score (40/40), on BRM qual. day, the treat was they named the range after me for the whole day and I got 5 minutes extra phone time :D Man, I could care less for the range renaming, 5 minutes extra on the phone was absolute HEAVEN.

echang72
03-07-2009, 6:03 PM

I was at A Co 1/38

Then C Co 232 at Ft Sam Houston (best time EVER! If you don't have a girlfriend, don't start; if you have a girlfriend, you better break up now. Don't waste too much of your money in San Antonio! It will suck you in!)

Then the Army gave me a whole bunch of free vacations to places I never want to go again ;)

I shot expert, perfect score (40/40), on BRM qual. day, the treat was they named the range after me for the whole day and I got 5 minutes extra phone time :D Man, I could care less for the range renaming, 5 minutes extra on the phone was absolute HEAVEN.

haha damn man.. when i was at knox, only got like 3-4 calls total? the whole duration of osut.

-eddie

Requiem
03-08-2009, 9:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jRawaB1tY

Army GI
03-09-2009, 5:48 PM
Good luck with BCT. I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said except..

BCT is really not that hard. Just do what you're told. That is what my drill sergeant told me one day privately.

Also, unit pride is great and all, but don't let the fact that you went to Benning go to your head. Just because you go there for BCT doesn't make you an infantryman. The biggest losers I knew in medic school were guys from Benning.

I don't know how your study habits are like, but 91W (now 68W blah) AIT is a lot like a college course. You have to dedicate time to learn what you are being taught. Don't do just the bear f-ing minimum. People's LIVES will depend on how well you know your job. I've seen way too many medics who didn't know what the F they were doing try to treat soldiers and hurt more than help.

DBK
03-10-2009, 9:42 PM
You have to dedicate time to learn what you are being taught. Don't do just the bear f-ing minimum. People's LIVES will depend on how well you know your job. I've seen way too many medics who didn't know what the F they were doing try to treat soldiers and hurt more than help.

I'm glad to hear someone say that. I strongly believe in doing my best while I'm there since I may very well be the difference between life and death for someone, and everyone out there definitely deserves the best. I'm going to print this post out and keep it with me at AIT, heh. Hopefully I have the same attitude when I'm actually there that I do now.

And yeah, I don't plan on being too retarded about the fact that I went to Benning. I've seen enough douchery to be turned off by it.

Stockton
03-10-2009, 9:56 PM
Embrace the fact you don't know ****. Show up that way. Let my fellow DS teach you. You will learn. The transition from a civilian to a soldier is yours to keep forever. It will be one of the most memorable parts of your life or even career as a soldier. Here's my tips to you:

1. Be a warrior and learn to shoot, move, and communicate
2. Learn your job(MOS) and be proficient
3. Never forget number 1

Good luck

DS Mac

MrLogan
03-11-2009, 7:58 PM

91...er, 68W school is great. You'll learn lots, and Ft Sam is a blast!

MrLogan
03-11-2009, 8:02 PM

I was at A Co 1/38

Oh, snap. I was Cco 232 at FSH. I went through 91W school in 2002/2003. When were you there?

Regulus
03-11-2009, 8:26 PM
What everybody else said. Would like to add that one thing to keep in mind when it gets tough mentally is that BCT will not last forever. There is an end and know that when you're done it will be one of the best days of your life.

Ha... that's what I thought too. Never got expert there, but did get it later.

Good luck... stay strong.

SpecV
03-13-2009, 8:11 AM
Benning was tough for me but i'm sure glad I went there for my BCT. I was one of the quiet one's and I did have to pay for it. I remember for a week strait I had to sing the dining facility's song by myself but I'm glad no one laughed because the drill sergeant would be on they're a**. I went in January 2004 (just turned 18) a little after the invasion so they were extra hard on the new recruits. But good luck and stay strait in basic, thank you for serving! Hoooah!

The Wingnut
03-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Best wishes, DBK, and thanks for choosing to serve in these troubled times.

As everyone else said, BLEND IN. If you can get through the first few weeks without your instructors learning your name, you're doing pretty well.

Do everything you're told, without hesitation, exactly the way you're told to do it, no more, no less. Do nothing that you're not directly told to do.

Don't skull it out, don't try to find the hidden intention. There is none. Stick to that basic rule above and you'll get in a minimum of trouble.

It's a head game. Knuckle down, get through it, and once you're past it, it'll seem like a blur. It is a tiny percentage of what will be your military career.

Beyond that, head down, eyes out, scan, scan, scan, there's always something you missed!

R1145
03-13-2009, 3:14 PM
...Home of the Infantry.

Have fun. It's going to suck, but you need to get into the mindset, and, er, enjoy the way it sucks...

You're going to be bragging about it your whole life, so give 100%.

Have no fear. It's a safe environment (well, compared to Iraq/Afghanistan). They can't touch you. They can't kill you (except by accident). They don't want to hurt you, well, nothing permanent, anyway.

They want you to succeed. They want you to become tough. They want you to be strong and never quit.

You will be hungry. You will become strong.

When I went through, there was one Drill I hated, who worked his platoon harder, and was meaner than the others. I was fortunate to remain for a cycle as a "Drill Corporal", and got to know that Sergeant. He was genuinely motivated by the desire to make Soldiers who could survive combat.

The Drills today, I'm sure, are all vets of multiple combat tours. Welcome to the best army in the world. This is a great time to be a young Soldier.

Casual Observer
03-13-2009, 5:59 PM
C 2/58 alumni here.

Sand Hill was one of those experiences that I will always remember. My 1Sgt. was a two time Ranger Instructor and had seen combat in every military action since Panama. My senior drill had a triple canopy and did some time with 5th group before doing a two-year tour as a DS. They never yelled at anyone, but they were the most intimidating two instructors I had.

Honestly, there were times when it was the most miserable experience of my life, but I'd gladly go back and do it again.

PS- When you get an off-post pass for family day, stop by Ranger Joe's. Also, the Hooters off of exit 10 is a pretty popular hangout.

D53
03-13-2009, 6:09 PM
ah Benning, good times. Today is actually my 6 year to the day since I stepped foot on Sand Hill. Charlie 1-50

Good luck and keep your mouth shut and you will be good to go :thumbsup:

pro defensive greg
03-13-2009, 8:41 PM
"dont thank me thank your recruiter"
"so i'm a sorry drill sgt?"
"half left face"
"dont let your dingle dangle dangle in the dirt"

and don't get too excited about brm qualification...on my day it was too hazy to see past about 200 yards, and the general concensus was...you'll have plenty of opportunities to score better.
-greg
19d alumni