PDA

View Full Version : CA DOJ approved gunlocks are free...

Turbinator
03-05-2009, 5:12 PM
I thought this was valuable information that we should split out of another thread (here - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=156514&page=2) and share all on its own.

Here's what I wrote:

Guys, those freebie locks from the PD *are* on the CA approved list for locks - I checked myself - I looked over the list at Target Masters personally. Both the employee and I found the locks listed. The only problem is that you don't get a receipt with them. So, if you could get a buddy to sell you one, and write up a receipt, you're in business and they should be able to accept the receipt and the lock at once.

Turby

Of course, I'm referring to the Childsafe locks that are yellow and come in a small, plastic bag.

Wildchild followed up:

We have a winner! Turbinator is correct, these are approved. To all of you that have the Project Childsafe locks, pull out that instruction pamphlet that is included with each one, and right there at the top of page 2 (inside pamphlet at the top of the page) it says in bold:"This lock meets the requirement of ASTM F 2369 and is a California Department of Justice-approved safety device." So I should only have to provide a receipt for picking it up within the last 30 days to satisfy this law.

Furthermore, I haven't seen anywhere that states I must keep the lock they sell me. So I should be able to walk out with it, switch to my lock, and bring theirs back in for return.

There you have it, free locks that satisfy the DOJ requirement.. now all you need to do is get a receipt for each lock, dated within 30 days of your DROS, and you're good to go.

Turby

audihenry
03-05-2009, 5:37 PM
How do you get a receipt and where do you get the lock?

FS00008
03-05-2009, 5:44 PM
I get the desk sergeant at whatever police station I'm at to write me up a receipt for them stating that I am taking possession on such and such a date, and then sign/date it :-).

N6ATF
03-05-2009, 5:45 PM
Police/sheriff stations, gun ranges... good luck finding them stocked though.

berto
03-05-2009, 6:40 PM
I got a free one from my local PD. Sgt. was surprised that I only wanted one. I forgot to ask him for a receipt but it all worked out in the end.

mike100
03-05-2009, 6:53 PM
I buy the ones from big-5 since they have a no hassle return policy. Once the ffl has a copy of my reciept for the lock, I make a run back by big-5 for the refund before I go home.

Already got a pile of useless locks, but the extra work is possibly not worth the $8-$10 saved. Once, on a ppt, I was forced into buying a lock and when the guy said "wait, you forgot your lock", I said: "No I didn't", just sell it again and remember my $10 tax you got me for next time I come in here for something.

ETD1010
03-05-2009, 7:04 PM
How do you get a receipt and where do you get the lock?

we give locks away to those who don't have gun safes and just write up a receipt. :D

FS00008
03-05-2009, 7:17 PM
The stations in my area always have a big pile of them lol.

Plebius15
03-05-2009, 7:48 PM
When I bought a handgun in December, I just bought a cheap $5 gun lock from WalMart (DOJ approved, of course), never took it out of the package, then returned it to WalMart after I picked up my gun.

bohoki
03-05-2009, 8:23 PM
they are supposed to be free they say on them "not for sale" but ive seen them being sold at gunshows

blackfalcon
03-05-2009, 8:53 PM
Most police/sheriff's stations were given them a couple of years ago. But, best to call make sure they still have them in stock.

BigDogatPlay
03-05-2009, 8:58 PM
Lots of them got taken home by the LEOs..... I know I've got one in my safe that got shoved into my hand without asking for it.

Darklyte27
03-05-2009, 9:04 PM
If you goto the cal expo state fair, they have them. I got a few free a while back..

FortCourageArmory
03-05-2009, 10:42 PM
We give them out with every firearm purchased of transfered. I was given several cases of the Project Childsafe locks from various local PDs. No sense making a customer pay for it when you can give them away.

SVT-40
03-06-2009, 12:21 PM
I thought this was valuable information that we should split out of another thread (here - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=156514&page=2) and share all on its own.

Here's what I wrote:

Of course, I'm referring to the Childsafe locks that are yellow and come in a small, plastic bag.

Wildchild followed up:

There you have it, free locks that satisfy the DOJ requirement.. now all you need to do is get a receipt for each lock, dated within 30 days of your DROS, and you're good to go.

Turby

Sorry, but to comply with the Federal Child safety act the receipt for a handgun lock MUST be dated the day of pick up.

The 30 day thing for locks is a Calif. law.

Librarian
03-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Sorry, but to comply with the Federal Child safety act the receipt for a handgun lock MUST be dated the day of pick up.

The 30 day thing for locks is a Calif. law.

Not accurate.

The Feds merely say the safety device has to be present - nothing in 18 USC 922 (z) about a date.

Gunaria
03-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Why is every shop different? I know the law is standardized and should be followed to the T, but every store I go into and walk out with a handgun transaction is different.

These stores will remain nameless. Last year shop A accepted my lock box, no need to buy a lock. (yeah, good for me, bad for them when they get audited) This year store B made me get a lock but told me that the lock & recpt. is good for 30 days. Now Gunslingers above is saying you must buy a lock on the day of pick up.

End of rant.:rant:

bohoki
03-06-2009, 3:00 PM
Why is every shop different? I know the law is standardized and should be followed to the T, but every store I go into and walk out with a hand transaction is different.

These stores will remain nameless. Last year shop A accepted my lock box, no need to buy a lock. (yeah, good for me, bad for them when they get audited) This year store B made me get a lock but told me that the lock & recpt. is good for 30 days. Now Gunslingers above is saying you must buy a lock on the day of pick up.

they are lying jerks who want to sell you something

the california requirement is a safe or approved lock the fed requires a lock to be with the pistol

so they should allow you to sign the safe avidavat for the california requirement and allow a "childsafe lock" to be attached at time of purchace (no recept required)

Bug Splat
03-06-2009, 3:12 PM
I just sign a gun safe affidavit. No need to mess with crappy locks.

Librarian
03-06-2009, 4:07 PM
I just sign a gun safe affidavit. No need to mess with crappy locks.

Except, for handguns, BATF says that does not work.

see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1495010#post1495010

I believe we've now come full circle here ...

SVT-40
03-08-2009, 6:46 PM
Not accurate.

The Feds merely say the safety device has to be present - nothing in 18 USC 922 (z) about a date.

‘‘(z) SECURE GUN STORAGE OR SAFETY DEVICE.—
‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided under paragraph
(2), it shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer
any handgun to any person other than any person licensed
under this chapter, unless the transferee is provided with a
secure gun storage or safety device (as defined in section
921(a)(34)) for that handgun.

Actually the law states "provided" not just present. And it does say provided at the time of delivery, sale, transfer Ect.

See the text above.

So at the time of pickup in Calif the lock must be "provided" some dealers sell the locks some actually give them away.

So according to the law as written it would not be lawful to bring your own lock in at the time of delivery as the lock was already yours, and not "provided" at the time of delivery per the written statute.

Remember this applies to handguns only

Librarian
03-08-2009, 10:16 PM
‘‘(z) SECURE GUN STORAGE OR SAFETY DEVICE.—
‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided under paragraph
(2), it shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer
any handgun to any person other than any person licensed
under this chapter, unless the transferee is provided with a
secure gun storage or safety device (as defined in section
921(a)(34)) for that handgun.

Actually the law states "provided" not just present. And it does say provided at the time of delivery, sale, transfer Ect.

See the text above.

So at the time of pickup in Calif the lock must be "provided" some dealers sell the locks some actually give them away.

So according to the law as written it would not be lawful to bring your own lock in at the time of delivery as the lock was already yours, and not "provided" at the time of delivery per the written statute.

Remember this applies to handguns only

See http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1495010#post1495010

I'll suggest "provided" cannot mean that, although BATF apparently wants you to believe it's so.

Note that 18 USC 921(a)(34) includes a gun safe as an acceptable safety device.

Gun safes are capable of holding multiple guns. Gun safes can weigh thousands of pounds.

If your suggestion is what the law means, that would require someone to bring in the multi-thousand pound safe with every handgun purchase OR it would require the purchase of a multi-thousand dollar gun safe with every handgun purchase.

Therefore, "provided" cannot only mean "acquires at the time of purchase". "Provided" also can mean "has".

leitung
03-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I saw one of those childsafe locks locking the gate to the harbor boat ramp in Morro Bay lol...

I have a drawer full of locks, I give them my buddies who have guns but no locks.

SVT-40
03-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I know it's all about interpretation. Still to some FFL's it's not worth risking their license just to get into a pissing match over the interpretation of "providing"

Regarding safes as acceptable storage. How does one adequately under the law provide proof?? since there is no language for it. A notarized affidavit??

That is the dilemma for dealers.

All it takes is a few "willful" violations and your license is gone.

And ATF decides what is "willful".

Librarian
03-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I know it's all about interpretation. Still to some FFL's it's not worth risking their license just to get into a pissing match over the interpretation of "providing"

Regarding safes as acceptable storage. How does one adequately under the law provide proof?? since there is no language for it. A notarized affidavit??

That is the dilemma for dealers.

All it takes is a few "willful" violations and your license is gone.

And ATF decides what is "willful".

Agreed - ATF's incompetence is causing a lot of problems here. I have a lot of sympathy for business owners who would like to stay in business!

AFAIK, BATF does not have its own equivalent of a safe affidavit.

BigBoyPinoy
02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Why is every shop different? I know the law is standardized and should be followed to the T, but every store I go into and walk out with a handgun transaction is different.

they are lying jerks who want to sell you something

the california requirement is a safe or approved lock the fed requires a lock to be with the pistol

so they should allow you to sign the safe avidavat for the california requirement and allow a "childsafe lock" to be attached at time of purchace (no recept required)

I know that this is an old thread but topic still matters and just wanted to comment about the above quotes.

Same thing happened to me at Gunslingers. Charged me $10+ for a prolock model and gave me a generic DAC in unmarked plastic bag.

Also at Retting with Childsafe locks and signed/dated receipt from officer. Guy at shop said lock wasn't approved according to some data base he was checking. So I ended up paying for another DAC lock. Didn't read the paper work with the info stating it was a CA approved lock. So now I know.