PDA

View Full Version : "SPF" - why delete selling price too?

dix0r
03-05-2009, 3:47 PM
just wondering if there's a reason why most people replace the selling price of an item with SPF? i just think it's useful for others if we leave the price there (next to a 'SPF' or 'sold' obviously), so people can research the going rate for similar items...

Black Majik
03-05-2009, 3:50 PM
It's to prevent people from EMAILING or PMing you months down the line asking if the item was available since the price was so good.

I got a email once almost 1.5 years later on a Beretta 92FS Inox I sold in Oct 07'.

freonr22
03-05-2009, 3:52 PM
i too wish that the selling price stayed :(

bobfried
03-05-2009, 3:56 PM
It's to prevent people from EMAILING or PMing you months down the line asking if the item was available since the price was so good.

I got a email once almost 1.5 years later on a Beretta 92FS Inox I sold in Oct 07'.

What he said.

I've gotten PM about things I sell years ago even with an SPF, I now change it to SOLD just to be sure.

And using older threads to gauge price is not really a good way to go about something, you need to look at current active threads to determine a price. Heck if you were to go about averaging the prices of AR-15's in the past 6 months you'd end up selling your AR's for hundreds less than what it's worth. Gunbroker and Guns America are two sources that I use along with the appropriate forum (say HK for HK's, AR15.com for AR's etc).

Beyond that I respect other people's privacy and usually expect it too. So I don't like it when people post who something is sold to and how much. I will only post that information if it's a HUGE multiple item sale, but once everything is sold I wipe out any buyer or price information. It's really a matter of privacy for me.

zer0bot
03-05-2009, 3:57 PM

Did you mark that it was sold in the thread after the deal was final?

djleisure
03-05-2009, 4:25 PM
I just mark SOLD or SPF in bold, right next to the price - I think it is good to leave the price to help others with research.

Kingofthehill
03-05-2009, 4:27 PM
I just mark SOLD or SPF in bold, right next to the price - I think it is good to leave the price to help others with research.

DING DING DING! We have a winner. Too bad a lot of people ditch the price :confused:

DVSmith
03-05-2009, 4:40 PM
If you mark it SPF and then never update it to SOLD, I can see where someone might follow-up and make sure the deal went through if they were interested.

Also, the price listed isn't necessarily the price paid. I can list something for $1,000.00 and if someone offers me $900.00 and I am in a good mood I might take it. That doesn't mean I am going to go back and update the post with the selling price.

thomasanelson
03-05-2009, 4:43 PM
I wish people would leave it up as it is helpful when placing a new ad to see what the market is baring for a like item.

BamBam-31
03-05-2009, 5:06 PM
Seems like this question gets asked at least once a month. Here's why I've deleted prices in the past:

On two occasions, I priced high demand firearms at prices aimed at quick sales. One was a cherry 4" Colt Python for $1000 and another was an HK P7M8 for $1100. Both sold very quickly, and I honored the first "I'll take it" in each ad. I was, however, flooded with unscrupulous buyers offering $100 or more above my listed price to sell to them instead. Emails, PM's, etc., even after I listed the item "SPF." So now I delete prices after an item is sold if it might attract that kind of "buyer." I leave prices up when I can, just to satisfy the curious, but I'd rather it not be in the CGN bylaws that I do so.

My experience, anyways.

Black Majik
03-05-2009, 5:12 PM
Did you mark that it was sold in the thread after the deal was final?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=46152&highlight=92fs

Yup, in the title and next to the price. However that one I didn't delete the price, maybe i should.

dix0r
03-05-2009, 5:28 PM
Seems like this question gets asked at least once a month.

ah, sorry! i couldn't think of any strings unique enough to search and turn up relevant results.

anyways thanks all... was just a thought :]

hoffman259
03-05-2009, 6:11 PM
Its up to the seller, who really cares. Gouge away

hawk1
03-05-2009, 6:24 PM
Because it's no ones business but mine and the buyers...:thumbsup:

bill104
03-05-2009, 6:30 PM

:thumbsup:

Fate
03-05-2009, 6:56 PM
+1 :cheers2:

rivviepop
03-05-2009, 6:58 PM

+1, you remove the price as the seller to respect the privacy of the buyer. period.