PDA

View Full Version : Bucket O'Wheel Weights

03-05-2009, 1:35 PM
Just got a call from the tire shop guy who is supplying me with wheel weights, he has another HomeDepot Homer bucket full of lead and wants me to go and pick it up. I already have 3 buckets full but I don't want to refuse him because he may look for somebody else to buy his stuff and I'm afraid I could lose this source in the future.
So if any of you need some lead for bullet casting and you can drive to Downey to pick it up, I can let this extra bucket go for what my source charges me and that's $75. Bring a Homer bucket with you for exchange.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7889/lead.jpg

fusionstar
03-05-2009, 1:52 PM
how many pounds is it?

Rule .308
03-05-2009, 2:56 PM
how many pounds is it?

I was wondering that very same thing so I did a search at cast boolits. The concensus was somewhere between 100-140 pounds, depending upon the type of weights (stick-ons, clip-ons, etc), the size of the weights and just how full it is. Here is the thread that seemed to have the most info.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12926&highlight=bucket+weigh

03-05-2009, 3:40 PM
how many pounds is it?

I should be between 120-130lb. It is too heavy for a single person to lift it. Weights are mixed, about 70% stick-on and 30% clip-on with just a couple of zinc weights. I cast my bullets straight from this lead and only use gas checks if I load over 1,400 fps.
Oh, and the guys talking on Castboolits about paying $10 / bucket or even getting it for free...the thread is from February of 2007. These days you you should consider yourself very lucky to even find a tire shop willing to sell to you, they all say "we already have somebody buying from us". It took me 3 months and about 40 different tire shops in the LA area to find this guy; and he only dropped his old client because my cousin is the owner of the import company supplying him with tires and rims and he has some "leverage" over him.

Rule .308
03-05-2009, 5:02 PM
The cost of lead has gone through the roof like everything else. A lot of your tire shops have gone to an exchange basis with their wheel weight suppliers so nobody is willing to turn loose of the stuff.

kcs1211
03-05-2009, 5:31 PM
Start saving your lead.

All lead wheel weights will be gone by 2010. Its the new law, won't even be able to buy them anymore. Steel weights.

They cost more, and suck. I run a tire shop, cost of weights will almost double.

I've got 12 buckets saved up.

Sorry to thread jack

bohoki
03-05-2009, 5:46 PM
Start saving your lead.

All lead wheel weights will be gone by 2010. Its the new law, won't even be able to buy them anymore. Steel weights.

They cost more, and suck. I run a tire shop, cost of weights will almost double.

Sorry to thread jack

huh they are shifting from lead and zinc to steel?

ps how much for a handful of your muffin pucks

Rodbuster416
03-05-2009, 8:19 PM
Hello Neighbor,
I'm on the South Gate/Downey border. Behind the Los Amigos golf course.
Do you sell any heavy .44 bullets?
I'm looking for the Lyman 275 gr and a couple of the LBT heavys.
I need to get into the garage and start loading again.

gotgunz
03-05-2009, 8:34 PM
Start saving your lead.

Sorry to thread jack

They will indeed be gone by 2010 but only in California (shocking huh?) but it is the result of a lawsuit out of Oakland against Chrysler that the wheel weight mfgs have also signed onto not a new law. They vowed to not import for sale anymore lead weights after that date and Chrysler promised to not use them anymore. The lawsuit was a typical treehugger thing claiming that wheel weights fall off and pollute the water. :rolleyes:

If your cost to purchase new weights is going up you should pm me your info... I just dropped my prices considerably as my cost have dropped and I have plenty of inventory available.

p.s. I am not gouging prices like some others may be doing based on fear.

03-05-2009, 8:41 PM
Hello Neighbor,
I'm on the South Gate/Downey border. Behind the Los Amigos golf course.
Do you sell any heavy .44 bullets?
I'm looking for the Lyman 275 gr and a couple of the LBT heavys.
I need to get into the garage and start loading again.

Hello back to you neighbor. I don't sell what I cast but if you have the .44 molds I can cast a hundred boolits or so for you.

Did I mentioned my favorite beer is Guiness? ;)

SimpleCountryActuary
03-05-2009, 8:41 PM
Start saving your lead.

So, lead ... doesn't rust. Steel ... rusts. Lead ... less expensive. Steel ... more expensive.

Head hurt.

Sorry. Sounds like a real good deal. Someone take it.

03-05-2009, 8:43 PM
So, lead ... doesn't rust. Steel ... rusts. Lead ... less expensive. Steel ... more expensive.

Head hurt.

Sorry. Sounds like a real good deal. Someone take it.

Considering the news about the 2010 ban, I'm not sure I want to sell it anymore.

Timberland
03-10-2009, 2:56 PM
Sorry to add to the conversationing, but is that $75 for 1 bucket? It sucks that people will sell this stuff for 3 cents a pound to a scrap yard but want an arm and leg for person to person