PDA

View Full Version : Accidental Shooting

mbrown
03-05-2009, 6:25 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,505145,00.html

This story is a reminder that we all need to be careful. We can't ever let our guards down when it comes to safety. I hate these kinds of stories.

hawk1
03-05-2009, 6:37 AM
I'll help, since you're being lazy...

Also, it should be negligence, not an accident!

Accidental Shooting Kills Michigan Boy, 12

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Mich. Police say a 12-year-old Michigan boy was shot and killed when a gun being cleaned by his father went off.

Police say Ian Dunn died Tuesday afternoon at the home about 90 miles west of Detroit. Police are investigating, but they say the shooting appears to be accidental.

Police Chief Steven Fisher tells WWMT-TV that the father, 41-year-old Kevin Dunn, was cleaning the rusty gun. Fisher says it had been in storage for some time and the father had forgotten that there was a round in it.

The boy was struck in the head when the gun went off. He had been home sick from school.

Spiggy
03-05-2009, 6:53 AM
negligence

he left a round in the gun and I'm going to take a wild guess and say he tried to drop the firing pin while not observing the "do not point anything you are not willing to destroy" rule.

Had he followed the 4 Safety Rules listed on the back of the CWS and Front Sight business cards, he'd still have a kid

BroncoBob
03-05-2009, 7:09 AM
Man, this just makes me sick when I read things like this.

Biff...
03-05-2009, 7:13 AM
negligence

he left a round in the gun and I'm going to take a wild guess and say he tried to drop the firing pin while not observing the "do not point anything you are not willing to destroy" rule.

Had he followed the 4 Safety Rules listed on the back of the CWS and Front Sight business cards, he'd still have a kid

I don't get it. Why why why, every gun owner should observe the one safety rule that would prevent this. Every gun is always loaded, and should be treated as such.

rabagley
03-05-2009, 7:36 AM
The guy deserves a darwin award if that's his only son.

He disregarded basic safety rules at least twice. First, when he picked it up and didn't check to see if there was a round in the chamber. Second, when he started to clean it and for the very first step, didn't make sure the gun was unloaded...

When I'm handling my guns, about every third movement is to check the chamber to make sure it's empty. I'll do that while I'm watching a movie: pull the bolt/rack the slide, glance into the chamber, dry fire...

Dr Rockso
03-05-2009, 7:53 AM
In this type of story, whenever I read "cleaning the gun" my mind automatically replaces it with the phrase "playing with the gun".

AaronHorrocks
03-05-2009, 8:06 AM
How do you clean a loaded firearm? :confused:

yellowfin
03-05-2009, 8:10 AM
There must be some undisclosed other circumstances.

hawk1
03-05-2009, 8:23 AM
How do you clean a loaded firearm? :confused:

Most likely he wasn't cleaning the bore, but the outside finish. Grasped or grabbed with finger on the trigger.

AaronHorrocks
03-05-2009, 8:25 AM
It was a rhetorical question.

nick
03-05-2009, 9:07 AM
I always wondered how one shoots while cleaning...

Gunaria
03-05-2009, 9:10 AM
Aren't these type of stories being more and more prevalent now?
It seems like every other month or so.

kwest10
03-05-2009, 9:14 AM
I hear "AD" a lot. I finally asked, "what's AD?" at the range one day. Someone said, "YOU DON'T KNOW?!??!?!"..."it means 'Accidental Discharge'". I said, "you mean ND...NEGLIGENT discharge" "the only 'AD' is getting your rocks off too early in bed". The only "AD" in my book is if something fails on the gun.

Full Clip
03-05-2009, 9:16 AM
More foolish (and incredibly sad) behavior that will be used against the rest of us.

mbrown
03-05-2009, 9:22 AM
In this type of story, whenever I read "cleaning the gun" my mind automatically replaces it with the phrase "playing with the gun".

Good point.

I'm reminded of a story from the Sacramento area about six months ago. A cop's young son shot and killed himself when his father left his service pistol on the kitchen table or something. Reportedly, the man was "cleaning" his pistol and left it on the table while he was out of the room for just a minute. That was all it took. The police were quick to rally 'round their own and label it an accident and a tragedy. True, but it was abject negligence that set up the tragedy. Regardless of who is to blame, it just sucks, so don't copy these guys.

Saigon1965
03-05-2009, 9:37 AM
RIP kid -

hawk1
03-05-2009, 9:39 AM
It was a rhetorical question.

Then I'll call it a rhetorical answer then...:D

Greg-Dawg
03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't get it. Why why why, every gun owner should observe the one safety rule that would prevent this. Every gun is always loaded, and should be treated as such.

Unfortunately, not every gun owner is aware of that rule...or any gun safety rule in that matter. That's why, I always encourage new gun owners to take an NRA basic handgun class. I believe it's mandatory, no matter what background you have.

ohsmily
03-05-2009, 10:56 AM
What a f'ing moron. Very tragic about his son. I bet this guy will learn to not be so stupid in the future.

Dalton
03-05-2009, 11:22 AM
makes me sick to hear this.:no:

Turbinator
03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately, not every gun owner is aware of that rule...or any gun safety rule in that matter. That's why, I always encourage new gun owners to take an NRA basic handgun class. I believe it's mandatory, no matter what background you have.

Not aware of that rules or any rules? Amazing. There are gun safety rules printed everywhere - ammo boxes, gun manuals, the internet, gun stores, etc. For someone to go through life, at age 41, and not know the rules, is just amazing.

Turby

CowboyShooter
03-05-2009, 1:17 PM
Not aware of that rules or any rules? Amazing. There are gun safety rules printed everywhere - ammo boxes, gun manuals, the internet, gun stores, etc. For someone to go through life, at age 41, and not know the rules, is just plain STUPID.

Turby

There, fixed it. :thumbsup:

:D

esskay
03-05-2009, 1:58 PM

I can imagine that some idiot who gets himself in this sort of predicament figures that telling the police "I was cleaning the gun" sounds better than "I was playing with the gun."

RTO
03-05-2009, 2:08 PM
Just so sad. That father must be a total wreck.

tcrpe
03-05-2009, 2:09 PM
I can imagine that some idiot who gets himself in this sort of predicament figures that telling the police "I was cleaning the gun" sounds better than "I was playing with the gun."

It's called red-neck instinct. One moment this idiot is blowing his kid away, and just a split second later his self-preservation kicks in and the lies come spewing forth.

I'm always amazed when I see them in action.

Here's another example -- typical dirtbag is being chased by the police. Inevitably, he wraps his beater around a power pole, parts flying everywhere, and in a split second, before the wreckage has settled down and becomes stationary in the street, his pea brain can cut through the impact, concussion, bleeding, broken bones, and shock and he's hit the street running.

Truly a resilient animal.

jeffyboy
03-05-2009, 5:25 PM
Here's the Local TV News Report (http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1111405973/bclid1137706675/bctid14660391001?src=mrss)

USNHM242
03-05-2009, 7:40 PM
clear example of negligence