PDA

View Full Version : how to make wooden target stands.

NuGunner
03-04-2009, 8:08 PM
going to burro canyon this weekend looking for measurements and ideas. I"m trying to make something that will allow me to suspend some sporting clays, in addition to regular paper targets.

mycrstuff
03-04-2009, 9:20 PM
For the clay targets get some wire mesh that they use in concrete sidewalks and slabs. Then hook on Christmas ornament holders or paper clips twisted in half to hold up the clays.

For regular targets I copied the target in the photo. It is from the San Gabriel Gun Club. Unfortunately I could not make the detachable part of it as it was put together with roofing/flooring staples and I don't have access to that type of stapler. I just used regular wood screws and made a frame out of 1x2s and covered it with cardboard.

Then I used a metal frame stand base from ALCO Targets to hold it up. It works great and it has holes pre-drilled for stakes to hold it down. I use metal tent stakes that Big 5 sells for a buck. Get extras as sometimes they are hard to get out and will bend. I found that using a full size crowbar is the easiest way to get them out of hard ground.

The only draw back is that there is a little slop between the stand and the stand base. This was cured by folding a piece of cardboard over the end of the 1x2 going before sliding it into the base.

Here is ALCOs website:

http://alcotarget.com/osb/showitem.cfm?Category=25

They also have a good selection of targets and are local.