PDA

View Full Version : Glock 29 Questions

fltingck
03-04-2009, 9:01 PM
I have would like to know how all you Calguners feel about the Glock 29. Is the recoil more managable than a lightweight .357 revolver? I understand that the 10mm round is very flat shooting... how accurate can your shoot with the short barreled 29? Also, would this pistol be too intimidating for a 110 pound woman? (I know it depends on the woman... but in general) Thanks!

pleeds
03-04-2009, 11:19 PM
First of all I’m the new kid on the block on this forum so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Boy, there are so many variables that an appropriate answer is very difficult. All I can do is give you my/our experience.

Questions to be answered;
1. Has the lady had any experience shooting revolvers or semi-autos?
2. What calibers and bullet weights?
3. Will this be a SD weapon or target range/plinking gun? (9mm ammo is much cheaper than the 10mm)

My wife is heavier than 110 lbs. and has done quite a bit of shooting. She has shot my Glock 19, 27 and 30SF. She definitely does not like the recoil of any of the Glocks. In fact I got her a Walther P22 (.22 cal) semi auto for carry purposes that she dearly loves to shoot. She shoots any of the Glocks very well, accuracy wise, but she complains about the recoil after every shot, even though she maintains a very nice, tight group. (IMO accuracy, shot placement, is more important than caliber size.) I’m confident that my wife would be a formidable opponent for a BG with her 10 rounds of .22 CCI Mini Mag.

I have had quite a bit of experience shooting pistols and of my three Glocks I prefer the G19 or the G30SF. The recoil of the 19 is quite mild compared to the G27, which has very snappy recoil that I don’t especially like. Even though the G30SF has pretty heavy recoil, probably similar to the G29, it’s more of a heavy push rather than sharp or snappy recoil. As a disclaimer, I have never fired a G29 or any 10mm pistol. Also, ammo for the 10mm is quite a bit more expensive than either the 9mm or .40 cal. With all the above said I believe she should test shoot a G29 before you consider buying, that is, unless you actually want the gun for yourself.

The Lyman Reloading Handbook, 49th Edition has a “Free Recoil Energy” chart on page 454 that will give you the actual foot-pounds of recoil energy. You will than be able to compare the foot-pounds with any other caliber. The formula is rather long and complicated so I won’t include it in this response. If you can’t find it send me a pm and I’ll forward the formula to you.

You know, with all the above said I really don’t have enough information to give you an intelligent answer. So, I guess I may be speaking out of turn. I just thought my/our experience may be helpful. My Glocks are quite accurate for me at ranges of 15 yards or less. You’ll probably hear from Glock shooters claiming tight patterns at 25 yards but that hasn’t been my experience.

Best and happy shooting.

fltingck
03-05-2009, 7:33 PM
Thanks for the comprehensive reply :)