PDA

View Full Version : new dealer in Eureka - Sportsmen's Access

dac41
03-04-2009, 6:03 PM
heard their radio ad today, apparently we have a new gun shop in town.

Guess old west shootery might actually have to start stocking guns and not making their bread and butter from transfer fees! haha.

Wondering if anyone has been to SA. . . Is it any good or is the same old crap in town with $650 glocks?

chrisdesoup
03-04-2009, 7:45 PM
did you get an address? I keep driving past prosport (I think thats the name), Sig lists them as a dealer....

I just had 3 lowers sent to anglin and they told me $25 fee and $25 DROS when I asked about one... I should have asked what they charge on multiples... if anyone knows please chime in.

dac41
03-04-2009, 8:03 PM
Some guy named "Anglin" owns the place? $25 is about right, that's a fair price for some paperwork that takes 15 minutes.

The ad said "directly across from Denny's"

Lowers all go on the same FFL transfer, it's one fee for all your lowers if they are processed together.

chrisdesoup
03-04-2009, 8:11 PM
Some guy named "Anglin" owns the place? $25 is about right, that's a fair price for some paperwork that takes 15 minutes.

The ad said "directly across from Denny's"

Lowers all go on the same FFL transfer, it's one fee for all your lowers if they are processed together.

anglin (sp) second hand in eureka... it's on 4th or 5th whatever 101 is over by the bowling alley... found them in an online FFL search and the guy I spoke with did not start sputtering FUD when I asked about OLL's just said "as long as it's legal and for right now OLL's are legal".. and when people say that it makes me happy :)

I might go check the new place out when I go to starbucks tomorrow.

Deadred7o7
03-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Its right next to The Democratic Party HQ office ROFLMFAO.

bombadillo
03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Its right next to The Democratic Party HQ office ROFLMFAO.

Freaking love it! Right next to the Dems headquarters and you get to point scoped rifles right into the dennys window which I've always wanted to do!! :rofl2: Definitely not anglins. If you're going to get a gun transferred online, Anglin is the shop to do it in. Ken and Steve only charge 50 bucks for an online transfer no matter what it is. I got 3 OLL's there and they charged me 50 bucks for the whole transfer of all three. As far as knowlege and a great all around guy, Robert Johnson who owns sportsmans access is a great guy and willing to go the extra mile for you versus pro sport center and some of the other shops in the area. (don't get me started on bucksport) Just don't talk to him about flash hiders! ;) Robert if you read this I jest!!

Humboldt
03-05-2009, 1:19 PM
So are they open? I havent heard anything about this place.

fal_762x51
03-05-2009, 1:30 PM
Did they get a new sign? It is the store that just had a sign that said "GUNS" a few weeks ago right?

bombadillo
03-05-2009, 4:00 PM
Did they get a new sign? It is the store that just had a sign that said "GUNS" a few weeks ago right?

Thats the one

dac41
03-05-2009, 7:44 PM
You know that this place is going to clean up on sales, if they have their prices in line and service is good.

A gun store here could do a lot of good for the local economy. . . Not as good as the green stuff but good just the same.

bombadillo
03-05-2009, 8:24 PM
Nah, he's a great guy, great customer service, can get you anything you want, and loves to B.S. with everyone while he's at it while slamming the Dems and anti-gunners!! Gotta love a patriot

Knight
04-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Bumping this old thread to add my .02 . . .

The guys who are in there treat you like you don't know anything about guns if you're under 30. Robert in particular got pretty aggressive when I stated that I didn't want to buy any of his Sigmas. Paul's Guns is still the cheapest place in town, and for transfers, as has been mentioned, Anglin's are the go-to guys.

skkeeter
04-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Robert seems to be a stand up guy. The first time I was in there I spend half an hour chatting it up about OLL and guns in general. He's got the best selection of modern firearms I have seen lately in Humboldt county. There's also a couple of Remington 700 SPS tacticals on the shelf. One in .308, and one in .223. They shouldn't last long. Just don't expect to find any ammo in there. Plenty of guns, but no ammo.

bombadillo
04-11-2009, 7:58 AM
My buddy bought the VTR tactical .308 and traded an OLL and some other stuff for it. Worked out well. He can get aggressive but he's in a business and wants things done his way. I avoid certain conversations with him at all cost because of his ideas that don't agree with mine. Ask about a flash hider on an OLL. :confused:

skkeeter
04-11-2009, 8:45 AM
My buddy bought the VTR tactical .308 and traded an OLL and some other stuff for it. Worked out well. He can get aggressive but he's in a business and wants things done his way. I avoid certain conversations with him at all cost because of his ideas that don't agree with mine. Ask about a flash hider on an OLL. :confused:

Yeah, when I talked to him about OLL, it seemed he wasn't quite up on all the laws regarding legal configurations. Once I broke the ice with him, he seemed friendly enough. I bet he has a bunch of transient drug users going in there all the time. There's some trashy people walking the back streets of Eureka. I used to work at Los Bagels 10 years ago, and on my way to work early in the morning, I would see prostitutes and drug users all spent from the night before wandering the streets in the early morning. Your buddy got a nice rifle. Tell him to wipe it down, cuz it's got my fingerprints all over it:)

MasterYong
05-04-2009, 3:40 PM
Yeah, when I talked to him about OLL, it seemed he wasn't quite up on all the laws regarding legal configurations. Once I broke the ice with him, he seemed friendly enough. I bet he has a bunch of transient drug users going in there all the time. There's some trashy people walking the back streets of Eureka. I used to work at Los Bagels 10 years ago, and on my way to work early in the morning, I would see prostitutes and drug users all spent from the night before wandering the streets in the early morning. Your buddy got a nice rifle. Tell him to wipe it down, cuz it's got my fingerprints all over it:)

This is by far the best shop in town. I have spent probably close to $5500 in there since Jan 1st 2009. Robert is the best steward of a gun shop that I have ever been to, hands down. He's got lower prices than any store in town- he's the owner, so you can haggle- he can get you ANYTHING that's available anywhere in the US (so long as it's CA legal/can be made to be CA legal). I have had nothing but positive experiences with him.

As far as the comments on him not knowing the OLL laws I think you guys are WAY off base. I've had many converasations with him where it's clear that he knows his stuff. I told him about my AR-15 with a Bullet Button and a flash hider and he agreed that it was legal. Like many FFLs, however, he isn't really interested in helping just any kid build an OLL AR- so if he was resisting you maybe you were a little too excited about your black rifle?

I have been in there when "kids" came in, and he was totally polite to them. Who knows why someone got the impression that he doesn't think people under 30 know anything about guns. I have referred at least 5 friends to him, all under 30, and they all walked away satisfied. Heck- I'm 24 and he treats me like he should: a loyal, paying customer.

Robert's one heck of a stand-up guy. WAY better than those jerks over at Bucksport (who wont help you unless you waive a wad of $100 bills under their noses and have prices 30-40% above MSRP). WAY better than the jokers at Pro Sport Center (that don't know what they're talking about, charge too much, and can't wheel & deal). Easier to deal with than Wild West Shootery- the owner of that place is cold as ice, wouldn't even talk to me. And I wont say anything about Anglin, as I've never purchased anything there and they're not exactly a gun store, but they've treated me well anytime I've been in there to browse.

bombadillo
05-04-2009, 4:01 PM
I think that he's an awesome guy and will do business with him again. I've spent money there, not quite as much as yourself, but a bit here and there. I've referred a handful of friends who have totaled thousands of dollars worth of business there. Its really hit and miss with him though. If he wants to get you something for a deal he'll do it but if he doesn't want to, then forget about it. Its definitely a personality thing with him and he just flat clashes with some people. He is one of two people I'd actually buy from locally. Him, and Ted Paul at pauls guns. I appreciate roberts shop and all he's done for the community especially being next door to the democratic headquarters, but spreading FUD like saying that ANY flash hider in california is illegal, then there are definitely issues regarding the law. I specifically showed him 12276.1 CA P.C. and just waved it off. Again, i'm not hammering on him and he is OLL friendly, but certain things like that shouldn't go around. That would make most people who own off list lowers felons for having assault rifles if that were true.