PDA

View Full Version : coffee shop meetings to pen letters to our state reps

BTF/PTM
03-04-2009, 7:54 AM
I've been mulling this over for a while now, coming up with the best way to craft meaningful, effective letters to our State Government to voice our opinion on gun control. There's a lot of knowledge and experience and "fire in the belly" on our forum, and I think if properly combined it could be very effective in getting our collective voice heard. Multiple minds are always better than one, and I think a group of us could come up with very effective, well researched factual and opinionated letters to our State. Would anyone be interested in meetings like this? Nothing formal, could be at a coffee shop or someone's house or whatever. As long as there's web access for research and everyone is comfortable, doesn't matter to me.

Oh, and if it's also an opportunity to arrange an open carry gathering, that's an option too.

7x57
03-04-2009, 7:57 AM
The problem is that legislators basically just count letters they receive as for or against. Nobody's going to read your deathless prose.

Good writing should go toward letters to the editor and the like, with an audience of fence-sitters that might actually read it.

7x57

BTF/PTM
03-04-2009, 8:49 AM
The problem is that legislators basically just count letters they receive as for or against. Nobody's going to read your deathless prose.

Good writing should go toward letters to the editor and the like, with an audience of fence-sitters that might actually read it.

7x57

An excellent point. I've already learned something new :) Ok, so edit my initial post and say we'll work on letters to the editor and other methods of getting a voice out to the people who are more likely to read and respond to it.

My line of thinking is that, along with aiming the letters are the appropriate groups, if we can work together to write using real fact and real logic rather than the blindly opinionated crap that we've been seeing posted lately in school newspapers and other avenues then we might be able get somewhere.

prod39
03-04-2009, 9:48 AM
This is the type of thing that's best done through Lobbyists from NRA or Rifle and Pistol Owners Assoc.
I know not all of us can afford to support these groups BUT, the liberals use lawyers and lobbyists to crush us !!? We need to get more LEGAL Support!
Letters to the editor and the like is a full waste of time, as the readers are the ones who voted in Obama.
Before the slam against my opinion ,,,,yes, I'm in the NRA and a couple of other Gun Rights groups and WAYYY older than most us here.
Thanks for reading,
Jim B

the_donald_
03-04-2009, 10:29 AM
The problem is that legislators basically just count letters they receive as for or against...

...along with aiming the letters are the appropriate groups, if we can work together to write using real fact and real logic...we might be able get somewhere.

Volume, volume, volume.
Legislators can tend to only look at the majority opinion of what is flowing through their mail. Real fact and logic is the cornerstone, but what is needed is a focused, volume driven effort to get noticed. Even with the same verbiage per letter, mailboxes need to overflow, e-mail inboxes need to be flooded, fax machines need to get jammed, etc. This requires a coordinated effort that I'm willing to participate in.

I am not of the opinion that only lobbyists or major organizations can get things done. The voice of organized citizens can be heard.

BTF/PTM
03-04-2009, 11:06 AM
^ Just learned more new stuff. I don't even know why I'm at work, I've already learned enough new stuff that's completely unrelated to work that I might as well just take the rest of the day off :thumbsup:

So the meeting idea evolves again. I like it, the fact that there's an opinion about this in the first place is good. I've never been one to slam someone for disagreeing, that's the whole point of having such a discussion in the first place. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

I'd like to propose a first meeting. Any preferences where? I don't care where it is, could even be over a happy hour somewhere as long as we all stayed cognizant enough to keep on track.

KWA-S
03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
If we have a meeting in the Santa Barbara area, count me in. It would be nice to meet some local Calgunners. I can't outside the county because I don't have a car and rely on public transportation.

CCWFacts
03-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Yes, the aids that open the letters reduce it all to a simple "yes on ___" or whatever. So you should always make your first sentence a simple, "I'm writing to ask you to vote YES on AB 357". That way they get the point without any mistakes and they check it off. That's really all you need to write.

But the idea of having coffee shop meetings is good. If the organizer shows up with a bunch of pre-printed / addressed envelopes, that helps. Hand-written letters help (or so I have heard).

the_donald_
03-05-2009, 8:27 AM
Yes, the aids that open the letters reduce it all to a simple "yes on ___" or whatever. So you should always make your first sentence a simple, "I'm writing to ask you to vote YES on AB 357". That way they get the point without any mistakes and they check it off. That's really all you need to write.

But the idea of having coffee shop meetings is good. If the organizer shows up with a bunch of pre-printed / addressed envelopes, that helps. Hand-written letters help (or so I have heard).

Very good points on all counts. Hand-written letters do make a difference, they get more attention, your audience must concentrate more to read it. Believe it or not, it does get across to the reader that you have deliberately put more effort into getting their attention.

I'm in the Orange County area, and again, am willing to participate.

nicki
03-05-2009, 3:13 PM
I like the idea for the following reasons.

1. It actually gets us locally to get together in small groups and the letters actually get written.

2. Elected officials give the most weight to hand written letters, they give the least weight to e mails. They figure your hand written letter represents thousands of people, so it does make a difference.

3. The events don't have to be limited to only letters, they also should be social so that they are fun.

4. If there is a interest, perhaps connecting it with something like meetup.com may be a option. Granted it is a fee service, but the Calgun meetup is posted with everyother meetup in a geographical location.

This gives exposure to people who are serving the net who actually want to meetup instead of surf the net.

Nicki