PDA

View Full Version : Failing the HSC

zachary2287
03-04-2009, 1:37 AM
I just went to get my HSC for my first handgun and I didn't miss a single one. But as I was joking about how ridiculous that test is I asked the guy if anybody ever actually fails it. So the guy says that I'd be surprised by how many actually do. He told me that a guy came in last week to take the test and missed....21!!

Seriously 21? I mean how stupid could you possibly be? That means he only answered 9 of the questions correctly!!

Has anybody ever heard of or seen a worst score than that on the HSC?

ck867
03-04-2009, 1:38 AM
I never seen a bad score but my local gun shop says people fail the test all the time. Maybe those people really shouldn't handle guns. I got a perfect score also

CalNRA
03-04-2009, 1:39 AM
reading is key to passing the test. :D

D53
03-04-2009, 1:45 AM
its been a couple years since I passed mine without missing any, but from what I remember it was all common sence.

walter
03-04-2009, 2:02 AM
if you cant pass the HSC you shouldn't be allowed to own a pair of scissors

CA Gun Laws Suck
03-04-2009, 2:08 AM
The people that I have seen fail which is a few...lol english was their second language. If you speak english as your primary language you better pass!

zachary2287
03-04-2009, 2:20 AM
The people that I have seen fail which is a few...lol english was their second language. If you speak english as your primary language you better pass!

Apparently the guy spoke perfect english and then asked to see if the grader was using the right answer key.

I was speechless when I heard the guy had missed 21. How did he even manage to dress himself and drive to the store?:confused:

slick_711
03-04-2009, 2:24 AM
I've only ever seen two people fail it. One didn't speak english, and the other was either drunk or the stupidest person I've ever met in my life (based on my conversation with him, not his failing).

Oldnoob
03-04-2009, 6:40 AM
As much as I believe in 2A, if one fails HSC, he should not have the right to own firearm.
BTW, HSC should be free.

bruss01
03-04-2009, 6:55 AM
I just went to get my HSC for my first handgun and I didn't miss a single one. But as I was joking about how ridiculous that test is I asked the guy if anybody ever actually fails it. So the guy says that I'd be surprised by how many actually do. He told me that a guy came in last week to take the test and missed....21!!

Seriously 21? I mean how stupid could you possibly be? That means he only answered 9 of the questions correctly!!

My guess would be either functionally illiterate or dyslexic or something similar. You can be a person with raw intelligence, who somehow slipped through the system without managing to learn to read (or read well enough to do well on a driver's license or firearms exam). It almost happened to my wife... but a 5th grade teacher (FIFTH GRADE!!!) realized something was wrong when this obviously bright girl couldn't manage her school work. It seems she just faked her way through those early reading lessons because she was bored with it, not realizing the future value. Today she is a voracious reader, in fact she leaves me in the dust. Her IQ is definitely higher than mine, and I'm a computer geek.

That said, anyone failing the HSC who knows how to read, obviously learned gun handling skills from watching Elmer Fudd on Looney Tunes.

BillCA
03-04-2009, 6:56 AM

Actually, thinking like a bureaucrat is the key to passing the test. :rolleyes:

its been a couple years since I passed mine without missing any, but from what I remember it was all common sence.

Not really. It's "common sense" only if you buy into the Brady hoplophobia.

X-NewYawker
03-04-2009, 7:17 AM

Obviously either an Obama or Ron Paul voter...

kermit
03-04-2009, 7:22 AM
As much as I believe in 2A, one should not have to take the HSC, to exercise one's right to own firearms.
BTW, HSC should be free.

Fixed it for you.:)

Not to give anyone ideas, but, if there is a need for the HSC, why is there no rifle or shotgun test? They are much more dangerous in the wrong hands. :43:

GTXR390
03-04-2009, 8:53 AM
it ain't hard to pass this test...the study guides available for FREEEE online, or you can get one at the local gun store...i just don't get how people can fail.

quick question, if i already own handguns, and my HSC expires, does that require me to renew? Or i just a renewal, if i plan on purchasing more handguns?

thanks!

GTXR390
03-04-2009, 8:56 AM

Obviously either an Obama or Ron Paul voter...

LOL :D

cheeto
03-04-2009, 9:01 AM

had to use this as my sig lol

Sutcliffe
03-04-2009, 9:10 AM
Anybody think that those who want our guns won't revamp the test in the future in insure more prospective gun owners fail? How many languages is it offered in? Do you have to speak English to excercise your right to bear arms?

Your commitment to the constitution means that you have to allow people you may not like, trust or deem fit for being seen in public enjoy the same freedoms you do.

will227457
03-04-2009, 9:15 AM
I have seen people fail....most english is a second language.....I have also seen people who arejust stupid fail it.....

I disagree with the test in general, as well as the hands on demonstration.....do you take a driving test before you buy a new car? does the car salesman check to make sure that you are safe before you drive off with his new mercedes?

Now I understand that driving is a privilage and a license is required but we should be a free state and allow some one to walk in and pay for a gun and walk out with it the same day.....back ground check with the fed is instant, there really is no reason for the 10 24hr wait

AlliedArmory
03-04-2009, 9:21 AM
if you cant pass the test, you definitely shouldnt even be handling a weapon

cheeto
03-04-2009, 9:24 AM
my friend failed it and hes not stupid at all
but i still call him a dumbass for failing it lol
he took it again as soon as he faild and passed it only missed one
i think some people try to go through it fast and thats a big reason they fail

peteboozer
03-04-2009, 11:33 AM
when i took mine the dude told me that the day before someone had missed 19

PJA
03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
If you fail it, you should not be allowed to write with anything sharper than a Crayon.
Pete

sorensen440
03-04-2009, 12:59 PM
There are still some that don't read or right (makes it tough)

fairfaxjim
03-04-2009, 1:19 PM
There are people who can speak english perfectly, but are functionally illiterate, they just cannot read AND understand what they are reading. Some can even appear to be able to read - they have learned to sound out the words pretty well, but cannot understand them. The HSC is a very simple test for those that can read and understand. There are also some who just simply cannot take tests - their brain seems to freeze up - some even almost have a panic attack at the simplest of tests. The could not pass a test that had their own name, address and phone numbers as the correct answers.

For those that cannot read english, an interpreter is allowed. I don't know of anything available for the functionally illiterate for the HSC test.

antiocharmory
03-04-2009, 4:03 PM
I've given out quite a few HSC tests, but I will not disclose the actual amount a person has missed. I will say this though, it is very important that you come in sober, and that English is your primary language. Seems that the English barrier can be an issue, even if they offer the HSC test in Spanish.

wellerjohn
03-04-2009, 4:14 PM

+100:D

Bentot
03-04-2009, 4:16 PM
Do you guys think our liberal politicians will pass this test if given to them?:D

nimoZ
03-04-2009, 5:22 PM
My favorite question:
Safety rule number two is to keep the gun pointed:
a) to the north
b) in the safest possible direction
c) up
d) down

:)

fairfaxjim
03-04-2009, 5:28 PM
My favorite question:

Safety rule number two is to keep the gun pointed:
a) to the north
b) in the safest possible direction
c) up
d) down
:)

I know, I thought everybody knew that North was the safest direction. CA public school is really dropping the ball lately. :D

xrMike
03-04-2009, 7:38 PM
Obviously either an Obama or Ron Paul voter...I voted for Ron Paul and got a perfect score.

Echidin
03-04-2009, 7:44 PM
Most of the questions are common sense kind of questions. There were a few that, unless you read the HSC study guide, you may miss. However, there is no excuse for missing 21 questions.

8200rpm
03-04-2009, 7:58 PM
I voted for Ron Paul and got a perfect score.

He voted for McLame.

zachary2287
03-04-2009, 7:58 PM
I voted for Ron Paul and got a perfect score.

+1 Ron Paul and 100% here too.

AlexBreya
03-04-2009, 8:14 PM
9/30 seamses lyke a gud skor 2 mi?

SimpleCountryActuary
03-04-2009, 8:17 PM
Most of the questions are common sense kind of questions. There were a few that, unless you read the HSC study guide, you may miss. However, there is no excuse for missing 21 questions.

Right, the questions require either common sense or, else, answering in the strictest possible way. For example: How many beers should you drink before shooting at the range:
a) 1
b) 2
c) 3
d) Men should drink Malt Whiskey and you must be a wuss or else you would know that already.

Seriously, the tests have to be easy enough for a Bureaucrat to pass it.

toolman9000
03-04-2009, 9:26 PM
I administered a few hundred HSC tests in 2006 and only had about 20 people fail - either they were illiterate, didn't speak english or spanish, or were "special" and rode the bus or walked to the gun store.

BLC
03-04-2009, 9:26 PM
Heck, the driving test at the DMV is harder than the HSC test!! The dude at my local range tells me some people actually admit to being a fugitive from justice on the form you fill out when purchasing. Now thats stupid!

slick_711
03-04-2009, 9:33 PM
There are still some that don't read or right (makes it tough)

Are you one of them? ;)

xrMike
03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
He voted for McLame.Heheh, I thought about voting for him, but decided NOT to waste my vote. :D

will227457
03-05-2009, 1:42 PM
[/QUOTE]Originally Posted by sorensen440
There are still some that don't read or right (makes it tough) [/QUOTE]

Are you one of them?

LOL....I was about to ask the same thing....

Mickey D
03-05-2009, 9:38 PM
Apparently the guy spoke perfect english and then asked to see if the grader was using the right answer key.

When I took mine several years ago, the tester started checking my test with the key flipped over backwards. I was watching him start to mark them all wrong. After about the first ten wrong, he realized his mistake. I passed 100%

Boarding-Team-Leader
03-05-2009, 10:11 PM
I stopped into the local shop today to get a bow string replaced . Decided to take the test while I was there. I went in cold and passed 100%. I have not purchased a handgun in quite a while. Last time all I needed was a copy of my DD214. Looks like I will have to buy something soon.
BTL

JDay
03-06-2009, 12:10 AM

There's a studyguide? :rolleyes:

CalNRA
03-06-2009, 2:45 AM
There's a studyguide? :rolleyes:

yeah, if you have always thought guns are evil, and only gone into the gunshop when your neighbor's house got home invaded, you need a booklet to understand that you have to point the gun in a safe direction.;)

Decoligny
03-06-2009, 11:27 AM

Not even these!

http://www.armadaart.com/images/products/B660-SafetyScissors-112103.jpg

Timberline
03-06-2009, 9:49 PM
As much as I believe in 2A, if one fails HSC, he should not have the right to own firearm.
BTW, HSC should be free.

Do you think or feel that the HSC should therefore be a 50-State requirement?

Deadred7o7
03-07-2009, 12:04 AM
So some on here are saying the 2nd is not valid if you can not pass a test? Whats next bring back the poll tax???