PDA

View Full Version : Iced tea stains on nickel finish

Commander_Cody
03-03-2009, 8:16 PM
Greeting Fellow Calgunners,

I hope this is the right forum for this question, if not please direct me to it.
I'll get right to the point. I've got an early 80's S&W Mod. 57 in .41mag, with the nickel finish. Anyway, I spilled some iced tea near where it was stored( a drawer ), not realizing some dripped on said 57. The 57 sat for about a day and a half 'till i noticed the little stains on the finish.

Before I start trying different polish/stain remover products on it, I figured I'd ask for assistance from someone out there who removed such stains and know which might be the best way to approach it. I did use a bit of CLP oil on it, but to no avail. This little revolver is in such great condition I just don't want to experiment with different sh*t. Sooo, to make a short story long....
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Cody

tankerman
03-03-2009, 8:33 PM
Del Taco hot sauce cleans anything.

Commander_Cody
03-03-2009, 8:42 PM
That's the response i figured I'd get. Guess i'll just bust out the angle-grinder.

dirtykoala
03-03-2009, 8:48 PM
i think i remember vinegar for nickel, but i would be scared to try it. look for a firearms finisher maybe...

cineski
03-03-2009, 8:49 PM
You may want to call S&W and ask them?

Colt
03-03-2009, 9:00 PM
Try toothpaste - saw this written up on another site, however it was not in the context of tea stains. Anyway, start somewhere innocuous with very small amount of paste. I have used toothpaste on a nickel pistol and it did not appear to harm the finish (YMMV). Good luck!

Commander_Cody
03-03-2009, 9:16 PM
Damn Colt,

For some reason, your reasoning sounds sound.

Will try, I'll update.

Cody

tankerman
03-03-2009, 9:23 PM
That's the response i figured I'd get. Guess i'll just bust out the angle-grinder.Stick a penny in Del Taco Hot sauce for an hour and you'll see what I mean.

Toothpaste sounds good to you though? Go figure.

Commander_Cody
03-03-2009, 9:27 PM
This is not a penny, and I'm not gonna stick it Del Taco hot sauce. Because Del Taco sucks!

tankerman
03-03-2009, 9:33 PM
This is not a penny, and I'm not gonna stick it Del Taco hot sauce. Because Del Taco sucks!Crest is a much better choice.:thumbsup:

Commander_Cody
03-03-2009, 9:40 PM
Sigh!!

Fine......How about Taco Bell "Fire" sauce, I hear that can do the same trick on a penny? Jesus.......Help Me

Commander_Cody
03-03-2009, 9:44 PM
Forget this pissing contest that I started. I"ll try on my own.

Peace Tank, thanks for suggestions, there's no Del taco around here.

I'll try fire

rayra
03-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Man, people don't no **** anymore about materials science. Soak a cotton ball in isopropyl alcohol and dab/hold on the stains. NO hard scrubbing or anything else that will completely **** up the finish in that spot.
NO polishes. NO abrasives. Don't even need a brush, or maybe some VERY LIGHT application of an old toothbrused, using it's tips.

kermit
03-04-2009, 6:30 AM
I used Nevr Dull on my titanium 386 for removing the powder marks without damaging the finish. If you can find an old Canadian nickel, you could experiment on it since they used to be 100% nickel, or try a spot under the grip that wouldn't show.

Californio
03-04-2009, 7:01 AM
If all else fails a little Flitz should work, with a soft cloth. Rub gently. I used it to cleanup two nickies.

BLC
03-04-2009, 7:16 AM
What about a lead away cloth? Too abrasive for a shiny finish? I have used it on my SP101 and then polish with a silicone treated cloth. I have heard, as mentioned above, Flitz is good stuff too but never tried it

BillCA
03-04-2009, 8:29 AM
Cody,

Without seeing the damage or getting a discription of the color, it's hard to suggest a remedy.

Ray's alcohol trick might work and it shouldn't harm the nickel finish. Use sparingly at first and see where that gets you.

Is the stain a brownish tea-stain or did it cloud the nickel with a whiteish discoloration? Can you feel anything where the stain is (like a dried material?)

Vinegar is slightly acidic and may remove the stain when used with a Q-tip or soft cloth. Go slow and wipe clean a small area and let sit for 24 hours before attacking the rest.

I'd try a little daub of Flitz on a Q-tip and with very little pressure try it in a small area, let dry and buff off. When done, coat the gun with Flitz Gun Wax (beeswax & carnuba wax) to protect the finish.

BillCA
03-04-2009, 8:30 AM
What about a lead away cloth? Too abrasive for a shiny finish? I have used it on my SP101 and then polish with a silicone treated cloth. I have heard, as mentioned above, Flitz is good stuff too but never tried it

No. A lead away cloth will leave visible scratches in a nickel finish.

glockman19
03-04-2009, 8:33 AM
Man, people don't no **** anymore about materials science. Soak a cotton ball in isopropyl alcohol and dab/hold on the stains. NO hard scrubbing or anything else that will completely **** up the finish in that spot.
NO polishes. NO abrasives. Don't even need a brush, or maybe some VERY LIGHT application of an old toothbrused, using it's tips.

We have a winner!!!

Don't ruin your gun with abarasives. Toothpaste is an abrasive.

Beelzy
03-04-2009, 9:37 AM
+1 with the NevrDull.

DO NOT use toothpaste or Flitz or any abrasive, unless you want a scuff
mark.

TheBundo
03-04-2009, 9:41 AM
Try soaking the whole gun in iced tea :)

Commander_Cody
03-04-2009, 7:01 PM
Thanks for the responses ya'll, I appreciate the input.
Bill, it started as a purple/brownish stain. I did use the alcohol tip and it
did reduce the stain a bit, now you can only see the stains when I tilt the gun to a certain angle, which kind of looks like whitish hard water stains now. I wonder how deep the tannins penetrated the nickel? I heard of a product called MAAS metal polish, any experience with it? I'll get my camera tommorow and take snap some shots, although I don't know how well the stains will show. Oh, and I can't feel any raise to stain.

Thanks again,
Cody

Commander_Cody
03-04-2009, 7:04 PM
Awesome Idea Bundo!!!!
I'll be the only guy on my block with the tan Louie Vuitton edition Smith & Wesson. Sweet!!!!!

nrakid88
03-04-2009, 7:07 PM
Hey aparrently Rembrandt toothpaste is non abrasive. Thats why i use it. Get some more mileage out of my teeth.

LkPillsburyDude
03-04-2009, 9:56 PM
Man, people don't no **** anymore about materials science. It's people don't KNOW.

BillCA
03-05-2009, 2:58 PM
Thanks for the responses ya'll, I appreciate the input.
Bill, it started as a purple/brownish stain. I did use the alcohol tip and it
did reduce the stain a bit, now you can only see the stains when I tilt the gun to a certain angle, which kind of looks like whitish hard water stains now. I wonder how deep the tannins penetrated the nickel? I heard of a product called MAAS metal polish, any experience with it? I'll get my camera tommorow and take snap some shots, although I don't know how well the stains will show. Oh, and I can't feel any raise to stain.

Thanks again,
Cody
Have you ever seen a "cloudy" nickel finish? It looks milky almost as if it's under the surface of a clear finish.
Simichrome will usually take that out with light & gentle slow work. If you think the stains are water stains then they may simply be a thin film of calcium (lime) from the water. A light application of a gentle polish will remove them. And no, I wouldn't suggest coca-cola (for the phosphoric acid) to remove the calcium.

Mickey D
03-05-2009, 8:23 PM
Try toothpaste - saw this written up on another site, however it was not in the context of tea stains. Anyway, start somewhere innocuous with very small amount of paste. I have used toothpaste on a nickel pistol and it did not appear to harm the finish (YMMV). Good luck!

Or maybe Polident, if you can get the gun in that glass of water. :confused:

One Shot, One Dropped
03-05-2009, 9:06 PM
Crest is a much better choice.:thumbsup:

Yeah, I would be surprised if someone used Del Taco sauce (instead of Crest) when brushing their teeth...