PDA

View Full Version : shotgun pistol ?

seabee
03-03-2009, 7:40 PM
I was thinking that maybe you could get a short shotgun pistol in the same way people get the AR pistols.

1 have a out of state person change a pump shotgun into a pistol and ship it to your ffl as a pump action pistol ?

does anyone think this could happen?

dfletcher
03-03-2009, 8:18 PM
A short barreled shotgun is illegal in CA. I believe constructive possession applies, so possession of even the barrel itself, if less than 18", is not legal.

Quiet
03-03-2009, 8:25 PM
Penal Code 12020
(c)(1) As used in this section, a "short-barreled shotgun" means any of the following:
(A) A firearm which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell and having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.
(B) A firearm which has an overall length of less than 26 inches and which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell.
(C) Any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.
(D) Any device which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell which, when so restored, is a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C) inclusive.
(E) Any part, or combination of parts, designed and intended to convert a device into a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C) inclusive, or any combination of parts from which a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive, can be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

Quiet
03-03-2009, 8:28 PM
You could buy a pistol grip only shotgun (one that never had a shoulder stock attached), form a trust/corporation, send in a ATF Form 1, and once you get approved, make the pistol grip only shotgun into an AOW. ;)

vandal
03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
A short barreled shotgun is illegal in CA.

C&R SBS and AOW are specifically allowed if you get a NFA tax stamp.

This would include old 870s, Ithaca 37's, and Serbu Shortys.

kar6man
03-04-2009, 12:59 PM
You can always buy the Taurus Judge. lol

PolishMike
03-04-2009, 1:18 PM
You can always buy the Taurus Judge. lol

No you cannot. It is considered a SBS and ILLEGAL in CA.

DarkHorse
03-04-2009, 1:25 PM
Wait for it...he'll be here soon...

I'm too impatient
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82693

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1154192&postcount=33

ke6guj
03-04-2009, 1:29 PM
who will?

DarkHorse
03-04-2009, 1:35 PM
who will?

Haha, I was thinking of you, but in a purely informational sense; I'm not weird or anything. I just read that whole thread last night and got very excited.

I do have one question:

If you went the C&R route, would you be able to remove the stock and install a pistol grip, and still retain SBS status? I'm just thinking it might be a PITA to fire as an AOW, but I'd like the option to fire it both ways. Anybody have a range report yet?

Also, what was determined on the transporting requirements? I mean, if I go to my buddy's house in AZ, assuming such a firearm is legal there, would I have to fill out federal paperwork?

(I guess that's more than 1 question)

Electric Factory
03-04-2009, 1:38 PM
"I like to keep this handy... for close encounters."
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/Picture1897.jpg

ke6guj
03-04-2009, 1:50 PM
ha ha.

lets see, if papered as an SBS, it is legal to change the stock to a Pistol grip if you want. It is still an SBS no matter what config it is in. Its not like an AOW that can become an SBS if a stock is attached.

As for transportation requirements, if it is an SBS/SBR/DD/MG, you must have federal permission to transport it across state lines. I'm pretty sure everything is legal in AZ, so you just have to have the 5320.20 approved first.

AOWs and suppressors (if you are so lucky) do not require a 5320.20 approval.

AJAX22
03-04-2009, 1:53 PM
according to federal law you could get a bare receiver for a mossberg in .410 and assemble it with a rifled barrel into a pump action pistol and it would be legal.

It would NOT however be ok here in CA. (unless it was chambered in .45/70 or .45 LC and had no other markings)