PDA

View Full Version : Sig p250 All Terrain finally safe at home in Ca

thatrogue
03-02-2009, 10:35 PM
I Love Calguns especially the real Trailblazing contrubutors. I want to personally think Bill Wiesse (sp?). and the other board member that are responsible for it coming to my attention, the method in which I could obtain a sigp250.

I read your detailed write up on interfamily transfers and so did our good friend @ John at Sonoma Firearms. My father (in the great state of Texas) offered to give me his Sig p250 All Terrain 9mm. Pops swapped the threaded 9mm barrel for the barrel and slide off his other .40 cal model, and sent off to Sonoma Firearms. The rest is history. Thanks again.:chris:

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/rivercitystunter/SSPX0149.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/rivercitystunter/SSPX0150.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/rivercitystunter/SSPX0152.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/rivercitystunter/SSPX0153.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/rivercitystunter/SSPX0154.jpg

thatrogue
03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/rivercitystunter/SSPX0157.jpg

happy_gunner
03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
beautiful, i'm picking up mine from the shop tmrrw and was thinking about doing my own ACU camo on it

thatrogue
03-02-2009, 10:43 PM
I was thinking these grips are cheap enough... like 45 bucks I think. I will probably pick up two and FDE one and leave the other black.

kar6man
03-02-2009, 10:43 PM
that thing is awfuly purdy.

ncmavtgun
03-03-2009, 9:06 AM
Can your dad in Texas legally adopt me and send me one too?
Awesome gun. Congrats!

Vin496
03-03-2009, 9:21 AM
I remember you thread, cool you got it. Can I ask how you handled the magazine issue?

cineski
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I thought the 250 only came in 15 rounds for 9mm?

Kingofthehill
03-03-2009, 10:35 AM
DROOL!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice!

JOe

bwiese
03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Thank you for the kind words, we're here to help :)

yzernie
03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I thought the 250 only came in 15 rounds for 9mm?
Last I knew Sig didn't even make a 10 rounder for that gun. I'm also curious about the magazine issue.

thatrogue
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Sig does not make a 10 rounder... I use a piece of abs plastic that fits in the bottom of the spring at the base plate to convert the 13 round mag to 10 rounds . It is about an inch and works flawlessly so far.

Rudolf the Red
03-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Sig does not make a 10 rounder... I use a piece of abs plastic that fits in the bottom of the spring at the base plate to convert the 13 round mag to 10 rounds . It is about an inch and works flawlessly so far.

Interesting. I wonder what the DOJ would say about that method considering the mag is still technically a high cap. :confused:

Vin496
03-03-2009, 1:08 PM

Hmmm?

If that little piece of plastic easily slips in and out or can be removed by just taking the mag apart, you may very well be breaking the law.

The mags have to be permanently made not be able to accept over 10 rounds.

RedDawn
03-03-2009, 1:12 PM
Nice handgun addition. Congrats!

Sarkoon
03-03-2009, 2:34 PM
Hmmm?

If that little piece of plastic easily slips in and out or can be removed by just taking the mag apart, you may very well be breaking the law.

I believe that it *is* considered to be a permanent modification as long as it cannot be converted back to high-cap without disassembly. Since disassembly is required to take out the plastic block, I believe it is legal.

thatrogue
03-03-2009, 2:38 PM
Hmmm?

My purchased 10/20 Ar mags have the body punched with a tab extending inward but this method is certainly not permanent by any stretch of the imagination.

I know this has been debated extensively.

Please show where it is a requirement that the modification be made "permanent". :thumbsup:

What exactly is the criteria for judgment of "permanent"? Tool needed? Epoxy applied?

I surely do not want any unnecessary laws to be broken.:D

munkeeboi
03-03-2009, 2:47 PM
at this point permanence is defined as good as the lawyer that you might have to be paying. We are all taking the risk, of what "permanent" means. It just depends on the situation, who is after you and how much they want to go after you.

the more reasons you have in your defense that it cannot be returned back into a Higher than 10 rd capacity state without destroying or ruining the mag, the better off you are. I am far from a lawyer, but value my freedom enough that I am taking every precaution when using modified magazines.

Vin496
03-03-2009, 6:05 PM
at this point permanence is defined as good as the lawyer that you might have to be paying. We are all taking the risk, of what "permanent" means. It just depends on the situation, who is after you and how much they want to go after you.

the more reasons you have in your defense that it cannot be returned back into a Higher than 10 rd capacity state without destroying or ruining the mag, the better off you are. I am far from a lawyer, but value my freedom enough that I am taking every precaution when using modified magazines.

+1

I'm with you on this.

In all honesty unless your showing off or loading the mag past 10 rounds, the chances of anyone wanting to check or make an issue are almost nonexistent.

It's just you have a gun that is newer than the hi cap ban, and is non rostered. If you take it out shooting you may get asked about it from other shooters or maybe curious LE. The subject of the mags could very well come up, just as it was asked several times here.

If someone checks and all they have to do it pop off the baseplate and voila you now have a 15 round mag, then you may have some problems.

This was a major reason I held off on getting a P30, till last week HK started selling 10 round mags, now I have a P30 on the way w 2 10 round mags.

West coast
03-03-2009, 6:12 PM
Nice!!!!!!

Jeff P
03-03-2009, 7:35 PM
Nice score, Pops should get a nice Xmas gift. That is the only P250, 40 cal and camo pattern, I have seen here in the state. Have fun shooting.

Nerfherder
03-03-2009, 8:06 PM
Nice piece! Just don't drop it on grass, you may never find it ;)

Juno05
04-19-2009, 9:56 AM
How's the trigger on it? I've read it pulls at a max 6.5 pounds; seems like it'd be pretty smooth.

chansen49
04-19-2009, 10:21 AM
But that gun isnt on the DOJ safe list for california? How does that work? My dad has a grizzly in TX that has MY name all over it IF I can do it legally.

Chris

Splinter
04-19-2009, 11:01 AM
But that gun isnt on the DOJ safe list for california? How does that work? My dad has a grizzly in TX that has MY name all over it IF I can do it legally.

Chris

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

leitung
04-19-2009, 11:01 AM
I believe that you blood parent ca send you a off list gun from out of state through an exemption in the safe list.

Thats one sweet pistol, I wish I could pick one up as well, but I dont have a parent that lives out of state to send it to me.

thatrogue
04-19-2009, 11:35 PM
I believe that you blood parent ca send you a off list gun from out of state through an exemption in the safe list.

Thats one sweet pistol, I wish I could pick one up as well, but I dont have a parent that lives out of state to send it to me.

Correct... although I dont think there is any requirment for blood

Vin496
04-20-2009, 7:09 AM

It has to be a immediate family member. Grandfather to Father to Son, of course it can be Grandmother/mother/son or daughter. Just no Brother to Sister, or cousins and uncles. Has to be direct up and down the lineage.

As for "blood" part, it actually has to be your real parent, no step parent. Real in the legal sense, so if you were legally adopted by say a step mother, then that would be a real parent.

gunn
04-20-2009, 8:03 AM
My purchased 10/20 Ar mags have the body punched with a tab extending inward but this method is certainly not permanent by any stretch of the imagination.

I know this has been debated extensively.

Please show where it is a requirement that the modification be made "permanent". :thumbsup:

What exactly is the criteria for judgment of "permanent"? Tool needed? Epoxy applied?

I surely do not want any unnecessary laws to be broken.:D

I also believe BWeisse cited a CalDOJ document that mentioned a "permanent modification". The specific document was failed a rulemaking attempt but IIRC, you get the idea of that they consider permanent conversion uses rivets + epoxy.
http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/2006-Rulemaking-Attempt/modifiedtextnov1.pdf

When I converted a 30rd bulgarian AK magazine rebuild kit into a 10rder, I used two rivets + an epoxied chopstick to act as a follower block. On top of that, I epoxied the baseplate shut once I confirmed that the mag works as I wanted. Any attempt to remove the rivets + dremel off the epoxy would result in a mangled beyond use magazine body.

If I were you, I'd consider how to use epoxy + rivets in a similar fashion.
-g

leelaw
04-20-2009, 8:10 AM
I believe that it *is* considered to be a permanent modification as long as it cannot be converted back to high-cap without disassembly. Since disassembly is required to take out the plastic block, I believe it is legal.

Negative. Epoxy your baseplate on.

cineski
04-20-2009, 1:10 PM
I still can't believe an FFL in CA would DROS some 15 round mags.

Vin496
04-20-2009, 1:59 PM
I still can't believe an FFL in CA would DROS some 15 round mags.

You don't DROS magazines you register the gun. Magazines were probably not even sent with the gun, mailed directly to the poster.

Yodax109
04-20-2009, 7:25 PM
How do you like the gun? I've heard some don't like the trigger, but I was thinking about picking one up!

leelaw
04-20-2009, 9:45 PM
How do you like the gun? I've heard some don't like the trigger, but I was thinking about picking one up!

The trigger pull is long. The trigger reset is long.

The grip is very comfortable, and the recoil is very manageable (from the viewpoint of the compact .45 model).

Since the trigger is longer, I did notice that I was paying more attention to my sight picture, and the groupings were very nice.

That said, I'm evaluating if it's one to keep in the collection. I love the idea of the pistol, but don't know if it's executed exactly how I want. I might switch out the trigger first and shoot it some more, but after one range session I'm not convinced.

cineski
04-21-2009, 7:05 AM
He did get the magazines, and altered them himself.

You don't DROS magazines you register the gun. Magazines were probably not even sent with the gun, mailed directly to the poster.

Vin496
04-21-2009, 7:43 AM
He did get the magazines, and altered them himself.

What are you talking about?

You stated you can't believe a FFL would DROS 15 round mags. I said you don't dros mags you dros a gun, and the mags probably weren't even sent with the gun.

Then you post the quote above.

You do know that the mags don't have to be sent with the gun, right? And to save himself some hassle from the FFL, probably had them sent directly to his house, disassembled of course. Where he then modified them to be 10 rounders.

cineski
04-21-2009, 7:46 AM
Sorry, Vin, missed that. I didn't know that was an option.

Vin496
04-21-2009, 8:11 AM
Sorry, Vin, missed that. I didn't know that was an option.

I reread my post, and I think it comes off as a little aggressive, and I apologize for that.