PDA

View Full Version : Colt Defender vs Kimber PRO CDP II vs Kimber Eclipse PRO

Rob Roy
03-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Which one is better? Does the real thing by Colt have the edge? Any other suggestions in the same price range?

PutTogether
03-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I hate to be the no fun voice of reason......but better at/for what?

the CDP will be easier to carry (lighter)

The Eclipse will be better looking (subjective)

The Colt will be a colt (which is 'better' to some people)

Rob Roy
03-02-2009, 10:31 PM
I hate to be the no fun voice of reason......but better at/for what?

the CDP will be easier to carry (lighter)

The Eclipse will be better looking (subjective)

The Colt will be a colt (which is 'better' to some people)

They might differ in reliability, being finnicky about ammo, quality of finish.

Sam
03-02-2009, 10:42 PM
you could always grab a Wilson Stealth and never have to worry about this question again... I'm happy with Colt's quality, even though they don't have the necessary beavertail, but that could always be fixed.

dgey
03-03-2009, 12:12 AM
my cdp II pro is straight up reliable. Once it was broken in I didn't have any issues. It's as accurate as you would want. In battle situations, 1 inch groupings don't mean as much as being able to hit what you want when you want.

PutTogether
03-03-2009, 1:44 AM
Finish?
Kimbers come from the factory with arguably one of the nicest fit/finishes available. As a rule, there is great attention to detail, and the gun looks and feels great. While this is certainly nice, it still doesn't mean anything other than it is a gun that has been finished in very good quality. It still needs to be broken in, and still needs to be tested to be trusted. (as does any semi-auto, especially a 1911)

"Better" depends on your use of the firearm. If it is to hold, feel, and enjoy the craftsmen ship - I'd say the eclipse.

That said - the nicest finished 1911 I've ever own was less reliable than the ugliest most beat up one I've ever owned. For plinking at the range and holding and admiring it was better. For being cocked and locked in the nightstand at night - it was definitely not.

It is a very tough question to answer because of all the potential uses of the gun, which can be tough to narrow down, because we expect a gun in this price range to wear so many hats.

For reliability, (keeping in mind that two 1911s made by the same manufacturer on the same day can vary greatly in reliability out of the box) I would trust either of the Kimbers over a modern produced colt. I know, I know, it has become so fashionable to bash the new Colts.......but still, the Kimbers in my hand just feel like a "better" gun.

I would also prefer an all steel gun to an aluminum frame, so my vote goes to the Eclipse Pro.

I am assuming, that since you are looking at the shorter barreled guns and asking about reliability, that at least one of your planned uses of the gun is defense, and maybe even carry. If so, it is worth mentioning that none of the guns you have selected, (or any auto for that matter) should be trusted until you have run AT LEAST 100-150 rounds of the AMMO YOU PLAN TO KEEP LOADED IN THE GUN IN CASE OF DEFENSE NEED through the gun to test for reliability.

Miltiades
03-03-2009, 3:56 AM
I own two of the guns mentioned, the Colt Defender and the Kimber Pro CDP. I'm not familiar with the Eclipse Pro.

My Defender and Pro CDP have both been reliable through quite a few practice rounds. The larger Pro CDP is easier to shoot well because of greater weight and barrel length, but a little harder to conceal because of the longer grip with a sharp corner. The Defender conceals very easily but is more challenging to shoot because you feel the recoil more. I think your preference will depend upon your exact application, but both are excellent guns of their type.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/ColtDefender43.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/KimberProCDP64.jpg

B Strong
03-03-2009, 5:22 PM
I own three Kimbers - a TLE/RL, a Pro Carry HD II in .38 super, and a Tactical Pro II in .45 - two out of three are fantastic, the TP II has been back to Kimber once already and has never made it through more than 80 rounds w/o a failure to feed. The slide goes close enough into battery that I can push it into battery with my left thumb. Installing a 22 pound recoil spring got it up to the 80 round mark. I'm deciding whether or not to send it back again or see how far I can throw the thing into Crystal Springs reservoir

My vote would be for the Colt.

Rob Roy
03-03-2009, 8:49 PM
you could always grab a Wilson Stealth and never have to worry about this question again... I'm happy with Colt's quality, even though they don't have the necessary beavertail, but that could always be fixed.
Oh man!!! Wilson stuff is $$$$$:eek:

bigcalidave
03-04-2009, 12:22 AM
I love my pro cdp 2. Absolutely my fav handgun. Just feels so good in my hands, nothing sharp on it, rides great. Damn pretty too. Only thing I've changed on it was the crimson trace grip.
Perfect!

1911su16b870
03-04-2009, 8:48 AM
I only have the 5-in CDP and the 3-in UCDP and they are both fantastic firearms. Light, melted finish, meprolites, great overall.

CSACANNONEER
03-04-2009, 10:28 AM
My Pro CDP II is my goto gun. I had two and just passed my extra one on to another calgunner last week. get the PRO!

Sam
03-04-2009, 1:26 PM
Oh man!!! Wilson stuff is $$$$$:eek:

A Wilson with proper maintenance will last you for your lifetime. Look at it this way, take the price of a Wilson and divide it by the number of years you have left. This is the price you pay per year to enjoy such a fine firearm.