PDA

View Full Version : 1911, good smith around OC or Corona?

AvyDriver
03-02-2009, 5:23 PM
Hey gang,

I have a SW1911 back when they only offered one model. So in the very beginning. Ive had some work done on it but just small stuff, like magwell bevel. It has feed issues on occasion, more then it should and after reading several other peoples writes up saying they never have issues no matter what ammo they put in it leads me to believe that this shouldnt happen.

Any suggestions? Any suggestions on good 1911 smiths in the Orange County or Corona area?

Mute
03-02-2009, 5:37 PM
Will O'hara in Corona.

951-371-4971

reallybigtoad
03-02-2009, 5:55 PM
+1 for Will O'hara.

He's a very talented smith and an all around good dude.

AvyDriver
03-03-2009, 6:10 PM
Thanks for the info, is this guy out of his house or a store? Reason I ask is it makes a little difference how I approach him is all.

NiteQwill
03-03-2009, 7:21 PM
I was looking for similar info.

Does anyone know if he is accepting new work? How are his prices?

Jonathan Doe
03-03-2009, 7:23 PM
Terry Tussey used to be in Orange ounty. I don't know if he is still there.

AvyDriver
03-03-2009, 7:46 PM
Terry Tusseys website shows his address in Nevada. No clue if thats old or not. Any idea Topgun?

SVRider
03-03-2009, 9:02 PM
Terry Tusseys website shows his address in Nevada. No clue if thats old or not. Any idea Topgun?

Not Topgun, but yes, Tussey moved to Nevada. Unfortunately, I read he had a bad mountain biking accident and is now partially paralyzed. The article I read said he may not be making it back to the workbench, but I believe he has others doing work for him in his shop.

Not OC, but up in the valley (Canoga Park IIRC), you will find an old-school smith, Jim Hoag. Never dealt with him directly (although I spoke to him before), but supposed to be very good and his price/turn time are very reasonable....

HTH!

randy
03-04-2009, 2:45 AM
www.davesmetalworks.com great work, great turnaround time.

Covina

AvyDriver
03-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Come to find out the guy sitting in the cubicle next to mine is a hot shot smith from the corps. A couple guys I work with who shoot comp asked me if I was serious when I asked them if they knew a good 1911 smith. I knew he did high power precision rifles. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info.

pklin1297
03-04-2009, 4:16 PM
Come to find out the guy sitting in the cubicle next to mine is a hot shot smith from the corps. A couple guys I work with who shoot comp asked me if I was serious when I asked them if they knew a good 1911 smith. I knew he did high power precision rifles. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info.

You never know who could be sitting right next to you... :)

What's his name? Maybe we know him already?