PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my first 1911. The Kimber CDP Pro II (just 1 question)

Exposed
03-02-2009, 11:55 AM
This thing is amazing, I havent had a chance to take it out to the range yet but I will probably be heading out this weekend. Its a very beautiful gun. Field stripping it and putting it back together is not very pleasent but whatever. I want to buy some new grips for it as well as a couple new mags cause the kimber mags are not all that great. Anyone know where I can get some good reliable mags and grips? Your help would be appreciated.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/steppenwolf_321/IMG_2114.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/steppenwolf_321/IMG_2115.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/steppenwolf_321/IMG_2120.jpg

USN CHIEF
03-02-2009, 12:01 PM
This thing is amazing, I havent had a chance to take it out to the range yet but I will probably be heading out this weekend. Its a very beautiful gun. Field stripping it and putting it back together is not very pleasent but whatever. I want to buy some new grips for it as well as a couple new mags cause the kimber mags are not all that great. Anyone know where I can get some good reliable mags and grips? Your help would be appreciated.

1. If you do not post pics of your "New Gun", this thread is worthless.

2. Field Stripping any gun is the best pleasant thing a true GUN OWNER enjoys all the time.

3. Why do you say that Kimber mags are bad if you have not shot your gun yet?:confused:

4. These people sell some nice grips..

http://www.vzgrips.com/grips.html

5. Mags, I see that the majority of gun owners favor the Wilson Combat Mags.

Saigon1965
03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Post some pics - You can't go wrong with Wilson mags - Becareful of the "idiot" scratch -

Ding126
03-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Wilson or Ed Brown for mags.

Exposed
03-02-2009, 12:08 PM
1. If you do not post pics of your "New Gun", this thread is worthless.

2. Field Stripping any gun is the best pleasant thing a true GUN OWNER enjoys all the time.

3. Why do you say that Kimber mags are bad if you have not shot your gun yet?:confused:

4. These people sell some nice grips..

http://www.vzgrips.com/grips.html

5. Mags, I see that the majority of gun owners favor the Wilson Combat Mags.

I had heard they werent that great, and as soon as I got home I oiled it up and loaded it with snap caps. Sure enough, slide would not come forward all the way a couple of times, and a couple stove pipes. I guess Im not a true gun owner since trying to get that little latch to stay in place while I have the alen wrench stuck in the bull barrel to be able to fit the pin that holds the barrel to the slide was very irritating. I didnt really mind though cause I know it will get easier with time. As for pictures, they are on there way.

AlliedArmory
03-02-2009, 12:10 PM
what kind of grips do you want?

field stripping this thing is a sinch. instead of using the tool, i use the bottom of a mag and push down on the recoil spring. turn the bushing 90 degrees and slowly let the spring expand to full length. push the slide back to where the notch lines up with the slide release and it should come out easily. take the slide off and clean.

i used to always use the tool until Black Majik taught me this little trick

as for mags i use KimPro 8 rders and Wilson Combat 47D. both work perfectly.

AlliedArmory
03-02-2009, 12:12 PM
once u get the hang of stripping and reassemblying it, it will be super easy

Exposed
03-02-2009, 12:20 PM
pictures added. :D

Black Majik
03-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Congrats on the new CDP Pro. Magazines are like favorite defensive ammunition. They're all good. I use Checkmate, Wilson 47Ds, Wilson ETMs, Tripp's Cobramags, ACTs, Chip McCormick Powermags, Les Baers, and they all run well. Find one that runs well in your gun and buy a ****load more.

field stripping this thing is a sinch. instead of using the tool, i use the bottom of a mag and push down on the recoil spring. turn the bushing 90 degrees and slowly let the spring expand to full length. push the slide back to where the notch lines up with the slide release and it should come out easily. take the slide off and clean.

i used to always use the tool until Black Majik taught me this little trick

Thanks for the plug. :D

Exposed
03-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Congrats on the new CDP Pro. Magazines are like favorite defensive ammunition. They're all good. I use Checkmate, Wilson 47Ds, Wilson ETMs, Tripp's Cobramags, ACTs, Chip McCormick Powermags, Les Baers, and they all run well. Find one that runs well in your gun and buy a ****load more.

Thanks for the plug. :D

Ya, your going to have to SHOW me that field stripping trick sometime cause I cant follow directions by reading them. Perhaps its my ADD lol.

the_donald_
03-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Nice looking Kimber!:thumbsup:

Field stripping will become easier over time, my first field strip was tough, getting the slide stop back in was a pain in the arse. Now that it's broken in, no problem.

Hand cycle the slide a few hundred times before going to the range, it will help prevent any FTEs. Make sure the rails are well oiled too.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself & your purchase. Shoot & repeat.

Black Majik
03-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Ya, your going to have to SHOW me that field stripping trick sometime cause I cant follow directions by reading them. Perhaps its my ADD lol.

Unfortunately, my method won't work on a PRO size Kimber. It works for fullsize 1911s with 1pc FLGR and GI rod and plug setups.

However it should wear itself in with some use and become easier to field strip. A paperclip will work fine as a makeshift takedown tool. :D

With an unloaded gun, you should be able to take the top and bottom half apart. I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning since it'll just get dirty a few days later, so I usualy break my 1911s apart in halves. Make sure the gun is unloaded, bring the slide to the rear and match the slidestop to the slidestop notch. Pull out the slidestop and carefully remove the slide off the frame. The guide rod will be under spring pressure so catch it as the slide comes off. It'll break in two separate halves (slide assembly and frame assembly) Then, I just wipe down the slide, frame rails, barrel, guiderod and relube. Should work for the PRO.

dgey
03-02-2009, 2:50 PM
you need to break the gun in. Kimbers manuals tell you this. Anything you do prior to breaking in the gun doesn't really matter. You won't know how well anything works. Once you've fired 500 rounds, the gun will feel much better. I know, I have the exact same weapon. Once this is done, you may change your mind regarding mods you want done.

ripcurlksm
03-02-2009, 4:04 PM
congrads, Kimber is a fine pistol with stellar customer service

1) Wilson and KimPro mags are great with mine
2) to avoid the idiot scratch, lay the pistol on the bench and insert the slide stop with two hands.

takedown will get easier, and make sure to run the kimber "seeping" with oil (but none actually inside the barrel.) Kimbers run under tight tolerances and so its important to keep them lubricated. Shooters Choice was recommended to me from Dennis at Kimber and ive never looked back since. Try Brownells to get it.

Kruzr
03-02-2009, 4:30 PM
To field strip a Pro size Kimber you must use the L shaped tool that holds the reverse shoulder plug and spring compressed on the full length guide rod. Unlike the Kimber Ultra's you can't remove the guide rod and spring from a 4" Kimber unless the plug is pushed back out of the slide.

You lock back the slide, insert the tool. At this time there is no more tension on the recoil spring. You move the slide to the take down notch and remove the slide stop. Then just push the slide forward off the frame.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mbpo/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/K_takedown.jpg

AlliedArmory
03-02-2009, 4:39 PM
you need to break the gun in. Kimbers manuals tell you this. Anything you do prior to breaking in the gun doesn't really matter. You won't know how well anything works. Once you've fired 500 rounds, the gun will feel much better. I know, I have the exact same weapon. Once this is done, you may change your mind regarding mods you want done.

yes break it in and you will love it even more. mine had a few FTE the 1st time at the range.

Mine runs WWB great. Blazer Brass sometimes it fails to feed the 1st round. Winchester Ranger SXT ran great in it.

i say dont worry about anything til u hit the 1k rounds mark

Exposed
03-02-2009, 4:52 PM
To field strip a Pro size Kimber you must use the L shaped tool that holds the reverse shoulder plug and spring compressed on the full length guide rod. Unlike the Kimber Ultra's you can't remove the guide rod and spring from a 4" Kimber unless the plug is pushed back out of the slide.

You lock back the slide, insert the tool. At this time there is no more tension on the recoil spring. You move the slide to the take down notch and remove the slide stop. Then just push the slide forward off the frame.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mbpo/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/K_takedown.jpg

Thank you for that. I was able to do it, it was just a pain.

Sam
03-02-2009, 4:56 PM
check here for wood grips:

http://shop.thefinergrain.com/main.sc

http://www.esmeralda.cc/

I personally like Wilson ETM magazines.

happy_gunner
03-02-2009, 5:14 PM
I've been using KimPro and Wilson Mag and no prob with both. As far as grip what do you looking for wood? rubber??

Miltiades
03-02-2009, 5:38 PM
I use McCormick thin rosewood grips on my Pro CDP, along with Wilson mags. I also switched out the original ambi safety for a single side Ed Brown safety, and replaced the original plastic mainspring housing with a steel checkered housing.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/KimberProCDP30.jpg

eijjie33
03-02-2009, 5:47 PM
nice looking kimber you got there.just be very carefull with idiot marks.just calm yourself every time you put it back together after disassembling it,don't rush it like what i did....:oops::kest::whistling::D

CSACANNONEER
03-02-2009, 5:49 PM
I find taking my Pro CDP II down to be easier than a full size 1911! It isn't hard, you'll get used to it. As far as mags go, I prefer Chip McCormick Powermags. Also, I recommend getting a Houge wrap around rubber grip. I really like the way they feel. I find the wood grips that came with it to be uncomfortable to shoot with. Anyway, you've got a great little carry gun that will last you a long time. I've shot between 20K and 25K through mine so far.

TZL
03-02-2009, 5:51 PM
I like Wilson 47D for 8 rounders and Chip McCormick powerplus10's for 10 rounders.

Kimber ProTactical mags work well also

I also picked up two Novak mag at the gun show this weekend that looked nice, haven't tried them yet

CSACANNONEER
03-02-2009, 5:52 PM
nice looking kimber you got there.just be very carefull with idiot marks.just calm yourself every time you put it back together after disassembling it,don't rush it like what i did....:oops::kest::whistling::D

Hey, they're not idiot marks, they're character marks. But, if you don't like scratches, be careful, they scratch easily. Yes, I'm speaking from experience.

Sam
03-02-2009, 6:12 PM
just align the slide stop, push straight DOWN and not forward (assuming you're sitting down and the pistol is in front of you). It's also best to sandwich the slidestop with your index and thumb. Never an idiot mark for me!

Kid Stanislaus
03-02-2009, 6:15 PM
If that gun is anything like my CDP II it'll be VERY accurate.

Exposed
03-02-2009, 6:17 PM
Im looking for thin rubber grips. And I found some wilson combat mags on budsgunshop Im going to pick up. Thank you all for the feedback.

eijjie33
03-02-2009, 6:18 PM
Hey, they're not idiot marks, they're character marks. But, if you don't like scratches, be careful, they scratch easily. Yes, I'm speaking from experience.

well yeah,but if someone has a change of heart and want to sell the gun it might lower the value of it,right?but as for me i'm not letting mine go.

NiteQwill
03-02-2009, 6:39 PM

Doesn't work on the CDP Pro because it has a FLGR. It requires a paperclip or tool to remove the slide. So field stripping is a PITA. Change it out with a GI plug and spring.

Also, I highly recommend you change the stock spring to Wolff XP springs. These springs were the ones originally designed for the 4" Kimbers but Kimber chose to go with a slightly softer spring, leading to multiple FTRB or FTE issues. Check out the 1911 forums.

I love my CDP Pro, too!
http://www.sk8ng.com/dusty/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/img_3503.jpg