PDA

View Full Version : Question RE: CA Handgun Roster and Magazine Disconnect Safety

PutTogether
03-02-2009, 1:19 AM
Forgive me in advance if this is a stupid question, but I had to ask eventually as it has been driving me nuts.

I consistently hear that Gun A or Gun B will "never make it on the roster because they don't have a mag safety." I hear it said about the LCP, and at least a few of the HK's.

Neither of my 1911s has a mag safety and they are on the list.

My Glock doesn't have one, and it is on the list.

Not having a magazine safety can't be in and of itself reason to not be on the list can it?

Can someone point me in the direction of exactly what a gun has to have/not have to be put on the list? (Assuming of course that its manufacturer submits it for approval)

slick_711
03-02-2009, 1:25 AM
Having a magazine safety and loaded chamber indicator were not always the criteria for getting added to the list. As of Jan '07 any new pistol to be added to the list had to have one or the other. As of Jan '08 and new pistol added to the list had/has to have both.

So yes, it is -- in and of itself -- enough to keep guns from being added to the list. We will not see any new 1911s, doubtful as to the HKs, and certainly not the LCP. Few manufacturers want to bother with full re-designs, even if CA is a big market. And [arguably] that's what DOJ wanted.

ck867
03-02-2009, 1:27 AM
those new safety laws are regarding new guns being created and manufactured so they have to follow those certain rules. Your glock, 1911, etc...were guns that were on the roster before those new rules were created.

Caanon
03-02-2009, 1:28 AM
I'm definately no expert, so someone may correct me. That said, I believe it's an issue of when you're trying to get on the list. Guns already on the list before the legislation passed can stay on list and be renewed, but new guns without the feature can't be added to the list.

Basically it's a stupid pointless law that keeps us from having new model guns.

slick_711
03-02-2009, 1:35 AM
I'm definately no expert, so someone may correct me. That said, I believe it's an issue of when you're trying to get on the list. Guns already on the list before the legislation passed can stay on list and be renewed, but new guns without the feature can't be added to the list.

Basically it's a stupid pointless law that keeps us from having new model guns.

Stupid... yes, in our eyes. Pointless... no, you stated it's point yourself. That was the whole idea. Of course we disagree with the law, but it was not pointless. :(

walter
03-02-2009, 2:18 AM
who the **** needs a LCI anyways.. cant trust that crap.. cali anti's probably want pregnancy-type guns with a + showing with a round and a - showing with no round. how hard is it to pull back the slide and be 100% sure

dumb

i want a PPS!!!

dfletcher
03-02-2009, 8:01 AM
Does anyone think the "you're already on the list so you don't have to have it" will go away? As in, "effective 1 Jan 20?? all semi auto handguns certified for sale in CA must meet all requirements" sort of deal.

Librarian
03-02-2009, 9:19 AM
Can someone point me in the direction of exactly what a gun has to have/not have to be put on the list? (Assuming of course that its manufacturer submits it for approval)

Merely an FAQ, for which you have received the correct answer.

But how did you miss the sticky?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127

TonyM
03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
If the manufacturers are smart they should have no trouble getting many new models on the list.

Look at Glock, they have added new models because they are significantly similar to currently accepted models. If other manufacturers, for instance makers of 1911 pistols went this route, I'm pretty sure they would have to let them on the list too. Even w/o the disconnect.

PutTogether
03-02-2009, 4:50 PM
Thank you - it all makes more sense now. And again, forgive me for starting a new thread instead of just finding the info on my own.