PDA

View Full Version : Arlington West

kermit315
03-01-2009, 6:59 PM
Hey guys,

I took the family to Santa Monica Pier today, and saw a bunch of crosses in the sand, and some people walking around with "Arlington West" on their shirts. Anybody know what is up with this?

TJ01
03-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey guys,

I took the family to Santa Monica Pier today, and saw a bunch of crosses in the sand, and some people walking around with "Arlington West" on their shirts. Anybody know what is up with this?

I believe it's a group of veterans who put the memorial up, each cross has the name of a soldier killed in the present war. I think they have a cross for every soldier that has been killed.

NiteQwill
03-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Arlington West is a memorial set up every weekend. It's run by vets and volunteers. Been there numerous times. It's been up for several years now.

http://www.arlingtonwestsantamonica.org/

FYI: It's not meant to be a political statement. It's actually to inform the public about not forgetting the sacrifices of those in uniform.

chris
03-07-2009, 9:37 AM
i want to go see it. i would like to find the cross for my friend that i lost in Iraq. do the crosses have names?

NiteQwill
03-07-2009, 11:04 AM
i want to go see it. i would like to find the cross for my friend that i lost in Iraq. do the crosses have names?

Yes, all crosses, stars, and crescents have names.

Stormfeather
03-07-2009, 2:01 PM
Hey guys, if anyone does go there, can you guys do me a super huge favor and maybe take a picture of a particular name for me? I would greatly appreciate it. The name is Ronald Baum
He was a great friend in the marines, and I recently learned of his passing while over here in iraq. Im hoping someone can take a pic of it and post here with it, would greatly appreciate it.
thanks

kermit315
03-08-2009, 6:23 PM
That is very cool. I am glad it isnt political based, I would hate to have those brave brothers and sisters of mine names being used in some political crap campaign.

nick
03-08-2009, 6:38 PM
I wouldn't be so sure that it's non-political. I might be wrong, but do read their site, even the name itself is somewhat telling. I talked to them a year ago or so, and they were anything but political. Maybe they've changed their ways since then, but I doubt it.

nick
03-08-2009, 6:39 PM
Hey guys, if anyone does go there, can you guys do me a super huge favor and maybe take a picture of a particular name for me? I would greatly appreciate it. The name is Ronald Baum
He was a great friend in the marines, and I recently learned of his passing while over here in iraq. Im hoping someone can take a pic of it and post here with it, would greatly appreciate it.
thanks

I live a few blocks from there, so I'll do it next Sunday, if you still want it.

HCz
03-08-2009, 8:10 PM
I'm not in service, but I saw the thread title and couldn't pass by.

I went there in their 2nd year, and had feeling that it was not completely neutral. They did not do things that leaned to any particular side, but my gut feeling said something different.