PDA

View Full Version : Family Handgun Transfer Question

frankiejoe577
03-01-2009, 3:20 AM
Hello I'm 19 years old. I'm a security Guard in California. I would like to get a Glock 19. My Parents are alright with me getting one but they do not like guns and they will not buy it. My Uncle with the same last name as me is willing to buy it. Can we use the INTRA-FAMILIAL HANDGUN TRANSACTION form to transfer the ownership to my name? Am I legaly allowed to do this since I'm under 21? everyone has a clean record and a California HSC. Please let me know the best way to go about this.

AdamM
03-01-2009, 3:24 AM
Nope, only parent or grandparent

Yes you can own it under 21,I had my dad do this for me too

frankiejoe577
03-01-2009, 3:46 AM
Erm, My parents don't want to buy it. Can My uncle buy it and I can just use it any time I want then we can transfer it to my name when I'm 21. Does he have to be with me when I use it or can I just pick it up and go to the range by myself?

Can he do a PPT transfer to me? or do you have to be 21 in california for ppt also?

leelaw
03-01-2009, 3:56 AM
You may infrequently borrow it for up to 30 days at a time.

He may PPT it to you once you have reached 21 years old, but not before.

frankiejoe577
03-01-2009, 4:01 AM
Great, they would not know how frequently I did because no paper work is needed but I will just borrow it for the day every few weeks or so to go to the range. Thanks

ontmark
03-01-2009, 4:19 PM
Because you are borrowing it. I believe you will need a Handgun Safety Card in Possession. I may be wrong.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php

SDgarrick
03-01-2009, 5:12 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=143884

This is complents of Fjold:
2) The dealer licensing and reporting requirements do not apply to the loan of any firearm in the
following instances:
Infrequent loans of firearms between persons who are personally known to each other for any
lawful purpose, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in duration. (Penal Code 12078(d).)
Loans of a firearm for the purpose of shooting at targets on the premises of a target facility
if the firearm is kept within the premises of the target facility at all times.
(Penal Code 12078(h).)
Loans of an unloaded firearm or a firearm loaded with blanks for use solely as a
prop for motion picture, television or other entertainment event. (Penal Code 12078(s).)
Loans of a long gun to a licensed hunter for a period of time not to exceed the
hunting season for which the firearm is being used. (Penal Code 12078(q).)
Loans to minors by a parent, legal guardian, or grandparent:
- Long guns may be loaned for an indefinite period.
- Handguns may be loaned for the purpose of engaging in a lawful activity, and the loan does not
exceed the period of time necessary to participate in the activity.
Loans to minors by other than a parent or legal guardian:
- Long guns may be loaned with the express permission of a parent or legal guardian if the
loan does not exceed 30 days.
- Handguns may be loaned with the express permission of a parent or legal guardian for not more
than 10 days. (Penal Code 12078(p).)

Maybe have a written note with you when you shoot it.
Cheers

Librarian
03-01-2009, 5:27 PM
Another thing to keep in mind: must be 21 to buy handgun ammunition.

JDay
03-02-2009, 1:06 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=143884

This is complents of Fjold:
2) The dealer licensing and reporting requirements do not apply to the loan of any firearm in the
following instances:
• Infrequent loans of firearms between persons who are personally known to each other for any
lawful purpose, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in duration. (Penal Code 12078(d).)
• Loans of a firearm for the purpose of shooting at targets on the premises of a target facility
if the firearm is kept within the premises of the target facility at all times.
(Penal Code 12078(h).)
• Loans of an unloaded firearm or a firearm loaded with blanks for use solely as a
prop for motion picture, television or other entertainment event. (Penal Code 12078(s).)
• Loans of a long gun to a licensed hunter for a period of time not to exceed the
hunting season for which the firearm is being used. (Penal Code 12078(q).)
• Loans to minors by a parent, legal guardian, or grandparent:
- Long guns may be loaned for an indefinite period.
- Handguns may be loaned for the purpose of engaging in a lawful activity, and the loan does not
exceed the period of time necessary to participate in the activity.
• Loans to minors by other than a parent or legal guardian:
- Long guns may be loaned with the express permission of a parent or legal guardian if the
loan does not exceed 30 days.
- Handguns may be loaned with the express permission of a parent or legal guardian for not more
than 10 days. (Penal Code 12078(p).)

Maybe have a written note with you when you shoot it.
Cheers

You highlighted the wrong section, he's 19 thus not a minor. He will also need to acquire a Handgun Safety Certificate prior to borrowing said handgun.