PDA

View Full Version : CA DOJ Handgun Roster and a gun's finish

ersatz
02-28-2009, 9:40 AM
No where on the roster does it state the finish of the gun. Some argue that it will state Stainless Steel, carbon steel, blue steel, etc but that merely indicates the material and not the finish, although I admit there is a corelation. Well, I'm trying to order a ceramic coated model and the FFL says it's not on the roster as they only list SS. I informed him that has nothing to do with the finish and only refers to the build material and the firearm in question is in fact a SS but with a black ceramic coat. It is still uses the same model designation so it should be compliant with the CA DOJ roster correct? I also inquired to the manufacturer but they said they are unsure and told me to contact the state. Well, that's a futile effort though I have sent a letter and hope to receive one back but can affirm or deny my premise but that may take months. So, am I correct in stating that the finish is not listed on the roster and I indeed can get a black ceramic coated model since it technically still is the SS model?

Librarian
02-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Hard to tell without the specific gun mentioned.

Probably will still be hard to tell if the manufacturer doesn't know. The only way that is certain is if the mfr and the state list exactly the same numbers.

Para and Springfield are notorious for changing numbers and adding suffixes that don't make it into the Roster database.

The problem is 12131.5. (a) A firearm shall be deemed to satisfy the requirements of subdivision (a) of Section 12131 if another firearm made by the same manufacturer is already listed and the unlisted firearm differs from the listed firearm only in one or more of the following features:
(1) Finish, including, but not limited to, bluing, chrome-plating, oiling, or engraving.
(2) The material from which the grips are made.
(3) The shape or texture of the grips, so long as the difference in grip shape or texture does not in any way alter the dimensions, material, linkage, or functioning of the magazine well, the barrel, the chamber, or any of the components of the firing mechanism of the firearm.
(4) Any other purely cosmetic feature that does not in any way alter the dimensions, material, linkage, or functioning of the magazine well, the barrel, the chamber, or any of the components of the firing mechanism of the firearm.Manufacturers are supposed to pay to have variants, as described here, put on the Roster, so they can be sold.

andalusi
05-14-2009, 10:32 AM
No where on the roster does it state the finish of the gun. Some argue that it will state Stainless Steel, carbon steel, blue steel, etc but that merely indicates the material and not the finish, although I admit there is a corelation. Well, I'm trying to order a ceramic coated model and the FFL says it's not on the roster as they only list SS. I informed him that has nothing to do with the finish and only refers to the build material and the firearm in question is in fact a SS but with a black ceramic coat. It is still uses the same model designation so it should be compliant with the CA DOJ roster correct? I also inquired to the manufacturer but they said they are unsure and told me to contact the state. Well, that's a futile effort though I have sent a letter and hope to receive one back but can affirm or deny my premise but that may take months. So, am I correct in stating that the finish is not listed on the roster and I indeed can get a black ceramic coated model since it technically still is the SS model?

Did you ever get a response from the California DOJ?

Californio
05-14-2009, 1:54 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=179227

That is what this suit is all about, one of the plaintiffs has the same problem, the color of the pistol.

NotSoFast
05-14-2009, 2:28 PM
If the model number is different on the ceramic one than is on the stainless steel one, you might have a problem, especially if California has based their list on model numbers.