PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased xd 9mm some questions

Look Wat I kAn DO !
02-28-2009, 1:31 AM
Well, I went to this new gun store in my town to get my HSC. I was going to drive 2 hours to go to the Bay and purchase a P0-1.
The gun store had a Glock 19 for 599 and they had 2 xd 9 for 540. Well after passing the test , i asked the gentleman behind the counter "why so much for a glock and can you drop the price a little?" The gentleman behind the counter responded " What.
That gun will sell today or tomorrow. I can sell it for more if i want,people will buy it". After holding the the xd's and the glock i decided to go with the xd. Well after thinking about it , why would people purchase a G-19 for more that a xd?
After i purchased the xd, they told me it was an 11-day waiting period...wtf? I asked ...10 days>? He told me that my city told them to make it 11-days because of gang violence.

Well, i got the gun for 606 not including the HSC. I know they go for cheaper but what do you guys think?
Thanks.

-hanko
02-28-2009, 4:35 AM
Well, I went to this new gun store in my town to get my HSC. I was going to drive 2 hours to go to the Bay and purchase a P0-1.

Well, i got the gun for 606 not including the HSC. I know they go for cheaper but what do you guys think?
Thanks.
Personally, I think I would have bought the CZ;).

-hanko

oghl888
02-28-2009, 5:55 AM
The XD is a good gun. I would take it over a glock if I am buying a polymer pistol today. I would take a P2000 over an XD but that's another 2-3 hundred bucks. The CZ is a different gun. I bet you will end up with a CZ also in the near future.

Don't let buyer's remorse effect you. the price of ammo will dominate the ownership cost. Enjoy the gun and don't worry about what you've paid.

cindynles
02-28-2009, 7:42 AM
I think your shop is doing like Big-5 with the waiting period. California law states the waiting period is ten 24-hour periods. So technically if you bought it a 12:00 you could pick it up after 12:00 on the tenth day. Big 5 and some shops that don't want to mess with the time stamp just tack on another day to make sure they are covered. A good shop will give you a date and time for when you can pick up your toy.

Glock - XD, you can't go wrong with either one. The price you paid is not that bad, its right around MSRP. Think of the money you saved in gas not having to drive 2 hours.

1911su16b870
02-28-2009, 7:46 AM
I think you will really enjoy your XD9 as your first! Now start shopping for ammo and a introductory self defense handgun class. Congrats, enjoy and be safe!

Greg-Dawg
02-28-2009, 9:01 AM
why would people purchase a G-19 for more that a xd?

Glocks and XDs are the same in their polymer frame material. Only difference is the obvious design, but the XD has the beavertail safety. As for price, Glock mags are cheap, parts are available/interchangeable and customer service is great.

You should've gotten the Glock.

By the way, I just bought a Glock early this year and only paid $398.20 (non-LEO of course). :)

Fjold
02-28-2009, 9:04 AM
After i purchased the xd, they told me it was an 11-day waiting period...wtf? I asked ...10 days>? He told me that my city told them to make it 11-days because of gang violence.

The dealer/clerk is a retard. How does changing a 10 day wait to an 11 day wait help prevent gang violence?

SpecV
02-28-2009, 9:10 AM
Not bad price, for your xd9. I think how people view glock is the brand, its so well known. There are some hardcore glock fans that will buy anything glock.

duck814
02-28-2009, 9:21 AM
Buy some lube, ammo, mags, possibly a light and have fun :)

zman
02-28-2009, 9:25 AM
You have made a good decision. Enjoy your XD :thumbsup:

jmf_tracy
02-28-2009, 9:33 AM
you did fine! the XD9 is one of my two favorite guns. the other being a CZ P-01. i think you need to go back and get the CZ P-01 too. by the way i have had glocks too. the XD is way better than the glock at least for me. it fits my hand better and i shoot better with it.

Blue
02-28-2009, 9:36 AM
If you're feeling bad go to an indoor range and shoot both. I think you'll like the XD of the Glock. For me it has a much more natural point of aim.

Look Wat I kAn DO !
02-28-2009, 9:38 AM
Thanks guys for your wise words. The glock did not feel right in my hand, it was like holding a block of wood.

Wicked K5
02-28-2009, 9:53 AM
The gun store had a Glock 19 for 599 and they had 2 xd 9 for 540.

What shop did you go to? I'm in Hollister and I'm getting tired of driving to the bay area to go gun/accessory shopping.

bboyin4food
02-28-2009, 9:56 AM
yea seems like that "11-day" waiting period is helping out huh? 3 gang related homocides in the last 24 hours. nice job on cutting down gang violence by making US wait 24 more hours :eek: cause we LOVE shooting gangsters! lol.

no worries tho one more day wont be much longer. i had to wait the same. you will like the xd-9. just be glad you didnt get the xd-45 right now.. hard to find ammo and its hella expensive.

see you at the range in 11 days.

bboyin4food
02-28-2009, 9:59 AM
What shop did you go to? I'm in Hollister and I'm getting tired of driving to the bay area to go gun/accessory shopping.

hunters supply in salinas - new shop, haven't been there yet. might check it out later today and report ;)

Twinkies
02-28-2009, 10:37 AM
The Glock has a more proven track record, and its much more in demand.
9mm Glocks are very difficult to come by right now. All I see available are compact .45s.
Having shot both, I like the feel of the XD, grip angle, and factory sights of
the XD better.
The Glock has less muzzle flip, a better feeling trigger, and is much simpler.
(no grip safety, striker indicator, chamber indicator,etc)
There are endless available modifications for the Glock.
I know a couple LEOs that are issued Glocks and choose to carry an XD off-duty if that makes you feel better.

Greg-Dawg
02-28-2009, 10:50 AM
...The Glock has less muzzle flip, a better feeling trigger, and is much simpler.
(no grip safety, striker indicator, chamber indicator,etc)

FYI: newer Glocks do have a loaded chamber indicator.

http://www.cybershooters.org/images/SHOT%20show%202002/Glockextractor.jpg

Bizcuits
02-28-2009, 11:10 AM
My first handgun was an XD .45 Tactical. Beautiful gun, but a little to big for carrying. I sold it over the summer.

My second handgun was an XD 9 service model. I carried it for a very long time. Although I wasn't a fan of the loaded chamber indicated. I liked the grip safety, but I felt for carry I wanted something that had no safety.

It was later replaced by a G19, due largely to the fact that I had several preban magazines laying around.

The Glock has definitely grown on me. I doubt I will ever buy another though as I'm currently eye balling a Springfield GI and have long wanted a S&W 5906.

You have a good gun! Enjoy

X-NewYawker
02-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Glocks and XDs are the same in their polymer frame material. Only difference is the obvious design, but the XD has the beavertail safety. As for price, Glock mags are cheap, parts are available/interchangeable and customer service is great.

By the way, I just bought a Glock early this year and only paid $398.20 (non-LEO of course). :)

Ws that earlier this DECADE?
Unless they are Department trade ins or pre-owned, GLOCKS are consistecey more expensive than XDs. (you price on teh XD seems high but I bought mine last year)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/BSXD-2.jpg

Xds fit my hand better and hit where I point them. I love my XD. I am buying a raced out GLOCK because I guess I should have one of every brand/type of pistol, but the XD is my SHTF gun.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/BarstoXD-1.jpg

Wicked K5
02-28-2009, 1:32 PM
Ws that earlier this DECADE?
Unless they are Department trade ins or pre-owned, GLOCKS are consistecey more expensive than XDs. (you price on teh XD seems high but I bought mine last year)

Probably got the GSSF discount. Been thinking of doing that myself....

RudyN
02-28-2009, 4:16 PM
You did fine getting the XD9. I have a XD9 and really like it. The 11 day period is a lot of Baloney and the clerk at the gun shop is a retard.

lowdrop2001
02-28-2009, 5:04 PM
Both the xd9 and glock 19 is a good first gun. I bought a glock 19 for my first gun a few months ago. I love it, but I also like the xd9. when I bought mine it was on sale and the xd was not. The important thing is the you got the one that felt better in your hand. Go and shoot it. Congrats on you first toy. Its a very addictive hobby. :2guns:

Norcalkid
02-28-2009, 5:44 PM
Just a quick question. Is the XD 9 smaller than the XD 40? If so is it a noticeable difference. Trying to decide but can’t find a shop with both in stock to compare them.

tacticalcity
02-28-2009, 6:00 PM
No...it is just a different caliber bullet.

1BigPea
02-28-2009, 7:20 PM
Good choice on the XD. I love my XD40. :thumbsup:

will227457
02-28-2009, 8:22 PM
price seems right for the xd......other shops do the 11 day wait also, but it's their business they can run it how they want we can go to them or go somewere else with our money

tortoisethunder
02-28-2009, 8:59 PM
both are good guns...you did not make a mistake either way. as far as price, you bought it so price really isn't an issue. your piece of mind is better that you will be able to defend your home a property against deadly attacks, to me well worth the extra money...plus most quality guns will outlast the owner by several generations if taken care of properly...which is pennies a day, right.

just enjoy and shoot it, you will love it and most likely will buy a few more in time.

Look Wat I kAn DO !
02-28-2009, 9:26 PM
bboyin4food and i went to burn a couple of rounds on his xd 45 and wow. I like how it feels. I can't wait to shoot my 9.

Shoot-it
02-28-2009, 10:51 PM
At my local gun shop they have Sig's, m&ps, Glocks no xds all sold out can get them in stock. NOW HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU GLOCK BSERS ALWAYS SAYS GLOCKS ARE IN HIGH DEMAND!!!!!!!!!!! Xds are in high demand not glocks. I went in last year to buy a new handgun the only one that felt good in the hand was xd and M&p I bought the xd-40.:thumbsup:

Gryff
02-28-2009, 11:08 PM

Said by a guy whose avatar is a cop who shot himself with his Glock. Funny.

I vote XD without a second thought, but the simple fact is that it is personal preference. No matter what the bashers of each platform say, both are outstanding weapons and well-loved by many. An XD9 Tactical is my main competition gun and helped me win my division at the IDPA Nationals a couple of years back. My home defense gun is an XD45 Tactical.

On the other hand, my wife shoots a Glock 34 in competition and carries a Glock 26 for CCW. The fact that she chose a Glock over an XD (or anything else) doesn't cause me to lose any sleep at all.

Just a quick question. Is the XD 9 smaller than the XD 40? If so is it a noticeable difference. Trying to decide but can’t find a shop with both in stock to compare them.

Nope. Exactly the same frame and slide size. The XD45 is physically larger, though.

bboyin4food and i went to burn a couple of rounds on his xd 45 and wow. I like how it feels. I can't wait to shoot my 9.

My XD45 is the softest-shooting .45 I've ever fired. I got it for home defense, but I like it so much that I've shot it a bunch in competition recently.

Look Wat I kAn DO !
03-01-2009, 12:18 AM
This makes me feel alot better for purchasing the xd9. I always heard good things about glocks and that they would feel good. It was one of my dream guns, but when i tried it. My dream was broken...lol. I hate having medium size hands even tho im almost 6 ft haha.

LEKNIGHT
03-01-2009, 12:36 AM

-hanko

thats what i did. I have a P-01 and now a xd 9 tac!

LEKNIGHT
03-01-2009, 12:38 AM
FYI: newer Glocks do have a loaded chamber indicator.

http://www.cybershooters.org/images/SHOT%20show%202002/Glockextractor.jpg

why do you have locks and such in the trigger guard?

Warhawk014
03-01-2009, 6:55 AM
you made a wise decision

bill104
03-21-2009, 4:42 PM
Well I just Bought a S&W MP 9, cuss I liked the feel of it, sadly I just looked at the reciept, I pick it up 4-1-09, Thats 11 days. :eek::toetap05:.
Wheres that Support group at. :grouphug::willy_nilly::toetap05:

eccvets
03-21-2009, 5:11 PM

-hanko

why in the hell do people think the cz is such a good gun? its not as good as people make it out to be. sure it goes bang but others will to

One Shot, One Dropped
03-21-2009, 9:49 PM
Check out www.pistolgear.com while you wait for it...

EDIT: It's been over 10 days. He probably already has it.

caldude
03-21-2009, 10:17 PM
The Glock did not feel right in my hand, it was like holding a block of wood.

Same reason why I don't have any Glocks - I just don't like the feel of them. I do have a couple of XDs (9mm and 45ACP), and a CZ75B. Of those, the CZ is by far my favorite.

Mstrty
03-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Well I just Bought a S&W MP 9, cuss I liked the feel of it, sadly I just looked at the reciept, I pick it up 4-1-09, Thats 11 days. :eek::toetap05:.
Wheres that Support group at. :grouphug::willy_nilly::toetap05:

Congrats on the new piece:cheers2:

Mac Bolan
03-21-2009, 10:50 PM
to each their own! You did good, the Glock is a good gun but if you like the feel of the XD then the XD is the best for you. Sorry a lot of Glock owners are like BMW owners to them none better. Something as good is automatically sucks . competition is good................ Mac

JJ1911
03-22-2009, 12:35 AM
As previously mentioned, if you like XD more than Glock, than shoot an XD! I owned a glock for 6 months and didn't really enjoy it. I thought i did, but then i tried other guns like HKs, SIGs, etc. I have sold all my other pistols and have no regrets. Now, I own a XD Tactical, and two 1911s. The XD is the only polymer gun I really enjoy now.

Look Wat I kAn DO !
03-22-2009, 3:20 AM
The first week i got the xd 9 4 inch , i did about 300 rounds( I got the gun 3-10-09). Also i rented a glock and it was fun but not as fun and cool looking as the xd(glock did not feel good). The accessories that came with the xd sold me . Well , im already looking for a new pistol and its going to be a fnh 40.

mobicon
03-22-2009, 6:19 PM
I have bought the XD 45, XD 9mm and the Xd sub compact 9mm and I love them all. they never jam and I have tried to melt down the 45 by shooting clip after clip as fast as I can reload and shoot again. They will eat any ammo that I can put in the mag.

When I bought my first XD the sales man told me the biggest difference between the two is the barrel. He said the XD is a standard rifled barrel but the Glocks barrel has a hexagon shape in side and the hexagonal shape is twisted to give the bullet it's spin.

Warhawk014
03-22-2009, 6:43 PM
This makes me feel alot better for purchasing the xd9. I always heard good things about glocks and that they would feel good. It was one of my dream guns, but when i tried it. My dream was broken...lol. I hate having medium size hands even tho im almost 6 ft haha.

congrats on the xd. now all you have to do is get rest of the siblings and you have yourself a little family to be proud of. i have 3 so far

smittty
03-22-2009, 7:19 PM
The gun store had a Glock 19 for 599 and they had 2 xd 9 for 540. Well after passing the test , i asked the gentleman behind the counter "why so much for a glock and can you drop the price a little?" The gentleman behind the counter responded " What.
That gun will sell today or tomorrow. I can sell it for more if i want,people will buy it". After holding the the xd's and the glock i decided to go with the xd. Well after thinking about it , why would people purchase a G-19 for more that a xd?

Thanks.

I think you made the right best choice and the price is fair. Here in SB they are $575 plus dros, but neither shops have had them for some time.

Mason McDuffie
03-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey man, I love my XD9 so much I went out and got the XD40. Congrats on the pickup. Its like everyone says, if it shoots and you like it screw what everyone else thinks. My XD's eat whatever I put through them. Haven't had a problem yet. No complaints here.

Apex
03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Great choice on the XD. Great choice on the 9mm for your first handgun.

Shoot the heck out of it! :thumbsup:

bombadillo
03-23-2009, 5:58 PM
Great gun, have an XD9SC that has been great for me. Got it for a front room gun and has run flawless. I can shoot 1 ragged hole groups off hand at 25 feet with ease shooting sellier and bellot crap rounds. XD now has a huge aftermarket and every bit as good as glock in my opinion. I liked the extra feature of the safety like a 1911 on the backstrap and it fit my hand better than a glock did. I also like the .40 mags just happen to work in a 9mm so you can experiment and find out what you may with borrowing a .40 mag and putting a few 9mm rounds in. Its pretty interesting.:cool:

epic4444
03-23-2009, 11:54 PM
dont regret it...im sure it will serve you well

Look Wat I kAn DO !
03-24-2009, 1:24 AM
When I bought my first XD the sales man told me the biggest difference between the two is the barrel. He said the XD is a standard rifled barrel but the Glocks barrel has a hexagon shape in side and the hexagonal shape is twisted to give the bullet it's spin.

what does that mean?:confused:

JTROKS
03-24-2009, 9:23 AM
I have bought the XD 45, XD 9mm and the Xd sub compact 9mm and I love them all. they never jam and I have tried to melt down the 45 by shooting clip after clip as fast as I can reload and shoot again. They will eat any ammo that I can put in the mag.

The standard rifling and hexagonal both will sping the bullet. I haven't really chronoed my rounds through my 1911's Wilson rifled barrel or Glock's hexagonal rifling. I've heard folks claim the hexagonal are faster and accurate, but I think that depends on the gun and the shooter. One thing is sure, you can't shoot too many hard cast lead through a polygonal/hexagonal rifled barrel.

Palindari
03-24-2009, 12:26 PM
LOL... you should love your XD9 - I've got one myself :D

But as you can see, it's a personal pref. If you know someone with a Glock go shooting with him/her and compare - or rent one at an indoor range. I think you won't be disappointed :thumbsup:

JimAmentler
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Good choice. Of course, the Glock would have been a good choice as well. Congrats on your purchase. Both weapons are good to go with Glock having the longer track record. I own both, but carry the G19 as I have trained with the Glock for far longer than I have the XD.

As several others have said, buy yourself a holster, some magazines and some ammo and get out there and get some training.

Enjoy!:thumbsup: