PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Dan Wesson PM7 back from master gunsmith Jim Hoag

bin31z
02-27-2009, 7:19 PM
So I decided to take the day off work cause I wasn't feeling well and about noon time I got a call from Jim Hoag saying that my Dan Wesson PM7 was ready. It was in his shop for a trigger job with Wilson Combat Ultralight trigger, A2 sear, and Ultralight hammer. Also, I had him do a reliability package with a Ed Brown Hardcore extractor. The total was 175 for all the work. I picked up the gun and immediately started playing with it in the parking lot. I suddenly realized that the hammer didn't look like the one I put on and when I racked the slide, it wasn't smooth at all. However, the trigger pull was PERFECT. Anyways, I got the gun home and all my worries were resolved. The problem was, Mr. Hoag had used WD40 to lube the gun. When i got everything cleaned up with CLP and Tetra Grease on the rails, the slide felt like it was on bearings. Looking at the gun, I noticed that not only did he throat the barrel, polish the feed ramp, he broke all the sharp edges inside and out of the gun. When I loaded my Wilson Combat 47D magazines with 8 rounds and hand racked the slide, the gun had no problem feeding and extracting the unfired rounds as the extractor was tensioned perfectly. I'll test the gun at the range soon to test reliability. Now we get the best part of the gun...the trigger. Since I used premium parts that were already polished to 8 rms when it came from Wilson Combat, Mr.Hoag said he had no trouble getting the pull to 3.5 lbs even thought I asked for 4. He also did not install the trigger overtravel stop because he said those things only cause problems and there was no need for them. Let me tell you about the trigger pull....as soon as you get past the initial overtravel, you feel the trigger solidly engage the sear..and after 3.5 lbs of pressure, trigger breaks like a glass rod. Even watching the trigger as I pull it, I don't see the slightest hint of creep before the trigger breaks. It just pushes against the sear...stops...and breaks when you have applied pressure. I'm in LOVE!!!:D

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii266/bin31z/IMG_0987.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii266/bin31z/IMG_0988.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii266/bin31z/IMG_0990.jpg

Next, I realized what happened with the hammer looking like it was a different one than the one I sent in. The original Wilson hammer would not clear the Ed Brown beavertail. So Mr.Hoag ground off the back of the hammer to fit. Instead of doing a rush job, he actually blended the lines of the hammer so that the shape of the hammer was still smooth and looked like it came like that from the factory and doesn't look botched. I'm very happy he did all that work free of charged.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii266/bin31z/IMG_1001.jpg

bin31z
02-27-2009, 7:29 PM
The only sad thing is that in modifying the hammer, he had to grind off most the raised sharp edges that help you cock the hammer. There only 2 little edges left but it doesn't seem to be a big problem but we'll see as times goes on.

Even the really nice trigger pull that comes from the factory had about 1 mm of creep before it broke. The new trigger pull is even nicer than the nice factory set up. The factory trigger feels stiff by comparison.

Saigon1965
02-27-2009, 7:31 PM
Thats's not a bad price at all for the work - Enjoy the piece -

HCz
02-27-2009, 7:40 PM
Congratulations! Didn't know Hoag was still doing his stuff.

leelaw
02-27-2009, 7:44 PM
Very nice. I don't know if I like the recontouring of the hammer, but the rest still looks nice, and Hoag does some great work.

bin31z
02-27-2009, 8:21 PM
Very nice. I don't know if I like the recontouring of the hammer, but the rest still looks nice, and Hoag does some great work.

I'm not too crazy about it either...but I don't think there's a better option in the situation. I don't think it would have been easy or practical to cut up the beavertail. I could have gotten another hammer but who knows if that one is going to fit.

Sam
02-27-2009, 9:31 PM
I'm not too crazy about it either...but I don't think there's a better option in the situation. I don't think it would have been easy or practical to cut up the beavertail. I could have gotten another hammer but who knows if that one is going to fit.

Two necessary upgrades for a great price. Nice! I agree, the hammer doesn't look quite right. You may not want to, but what about getting a matching Wilson beavertail to match a Wilson hammer? It seems like those two should work together properly. Although for a range gun, I guess I wouldn't worry too much about the difficult of manipulating the hammer.

bin31z
02-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Yea, this is going to be a target type pistol hence the adjustable sight...SS finish..wood grips. My next 1911 is prolly going to be a FBI clone....

1911_Mitch
02-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Nice toes!

ETA- the pistol looks good too.

The SoCal Gunner
02-27-2009, 10:32 PM
I hope the hammer can withstand the abuse.

You didn't mention anything about the reset.

dfletcher
02-28-2009, 8:30 AM
I hope the hammer can withstand the abuse.

Same here - I've read some DWs had a problem with hammers breaking, was linked to them being too thin in the rear. I have the PM and the CBOB and have had no problems.

Hopefully the now ultra - ultra light will have enough mass to make the gun go "bang".

hkfooey
02-28-2009, 8:46 AM
Nice bro - and very good price!!

bin31z
02-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Same here - I've read some DWs had a problem with hammers breaking, was linked to them being too thin in the rear. I have the PM and the CBOB and have had no problems.

Hopefully the now ultra - ultra light will have enough mass to make the gun go "bang".

well...these wilson hammers are tool steel..but I guess if there's every any problems, I can get Mr.Hoag to replace another one for free probably :)

bin31z
02-28-2009, 10:12 AM

well...these wilson hammers are tool steel..but I guess if there's every any problems, I can get Mr.Hoag to replace another one for free probably :)

I just spoke to him on the phone and he said that if he thought it would have problems..he would have never done it.