PDA

View Full Version : IF there were a new AW law, what would it ban/allow?

Librarian
02-27-2009, 1:22 PM
Might as well ask 'what will the Dow Jones average be tomorrow?' - until there is a bill to discuss, the provisions of a bill cannot be known.

We can talk about the one that expired in 2004, but there's no good reason to believe a new version would be identical.

We could expect that this time the bill would not have a sunset clause.

We could expect that a new version would make no more sense than did the previous one.

We could expect that the bill would come from some of the 'usual suspects', or at least be co-sponsored by many of them.

But details? That hiding place for the Devil?

My crystal ball is broken.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj284/Librarian_bucket/magic8ball.jpg

tombinghamthegreat
02-27-2009, 1:57 PM
A ban would only mean i along with others would be buying "assualt weapons" from criminals instead of gun stores.

Some Guy
02-27-2009, 1:59 PM
Should one pass, without a sunset clause, what would it take to overtrun it?

yellowfin
02-27-2009, 2:01 PM
Should one pass, without a sunset clause, what would it take to overtrun it?A change of prez and the morons who voted for it.

chris
02-27-2009, 2:17 PM

A change of prez and the morons who voted for it.

so getting rid of the entire Congress is nothing short of a miracle. as it won't happen.

the moron factor in Congress is very high. and if such AW ban would be introduced it would interesting to see the so called pro gun democrats actually stand up to the their party BS and vote NO on such legislation and prove to American gun owners that not all Democrats are gun grabbers.

domokun
02-27-2009, 2:28 PM
If the proposed bill HR1022 was any indicator.... we'll be back to bolt actions, revolvers and muzzle loaders pretty soon if it passes. :TFH: :eek:

elSquid
02-27-2009, 2:30 PM
My crystal ball is broken.

Mine was very specific!

http://sqidbait.googlepages.com/aw2.jpg/aw2-full;init:.jpg

-- Michael

yellowfin
02-27-2009, 2:31 PM
It would be nicer for them in the meantime to take over the party from its present leadership and squash the AWB idea altogether. I for one seriously doubt that most of them actually like Pelosi and her minions.

tenpercentfirearms
02-28-2009, 7:02 AM
It will ban all firearms and ammunition. All of it. Only complete firearms and ammunition would be grandfathered in.

So all of the half built AR15s and unloaded brass, illegal. You must build it all into complete guns and ammo before the ban.

No my being a gun dealer has nothing to do with this statement of fear and panic. [/sarcasm]

Meplat
02-28-2009, 12:09 PM

Gator Monroe
02-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Centerfire Semi-auto will be First !:sleeping:

Meplat
02-28-2009, 12:21 PM
We can do it with that if we have to, but, we won't have to. If you watched the eruption of the former Yugoslavia after the fall of the former Soviet Union with a discerning eye you saw guys coming up with weapons that you know had been a the bottom of a corn crib since the end of WWII. I mean, I saw Thompsons, STENs, and MG-42s, you name it.:43:

If the proposed bill HR1022 was any indicator.... we'll be back to bolt actions, revolvers and muzzle loaders pretty soon if it passes. :TFH: :eek:

rayra
03-01-2009, 1:42 AM
It'll be Chicago / Illinois -style restrictions on a national scale. National registration, national permitting, DC-style bans by type, criminalization for failure to register or expiration of permit while in possession. And parts of it won't survive a court challenge, but those sorts of things take several years. In the meantime we're criminals for noncompliance.

rayra
03-01-2009, 1:43 AM
waitaminute. I seem to recall Librarian issuing a topic disparaging the idea that any such ban was coming.

/it would be funny, if it weren't such a bitterly ironic subject

Ford8N
03-01-2009, 4:07 AM
We can do it with that if we have to, but, we won't have to. If you watched the eruption of the former Yugoslavia after the fall of the former Soviet Union with a discerning eye you saw guys coming up with weapons that you know had been a the bottom of a corn crib since the end of WWII. I mean, I saw Thompsons, STENs, and MG-42s, you name it.:43:

I suspect that was one of the reasons the BATFE started to strongly enforce the barrel ban on AK kits. There are A LOT of unpapered working AK's in the U.S. now.

Librarian
03-01-2009, 9:47 AM
waitaminute. I seem to recall Librarian issuing a topic disparaging the idea that any such ban was coming.

/it would be funny, if it weren't such a bitterly ironic subject

Ray, you persistently mis-state my position.

I said it isn't here YET, and until there is something specific to fight against, one is wasting effort. (Unless you happen to be a major donor to some politician and can actually get him or her to listen to you.)

I never said such a thing was impossible. I never said such a bill could not or would not be introduced.

But there is no such bill TODAY.

Jpach
03-01-2009, 11:10 AM
It would ban absolutely everything. Ammo, Uppers, LPKs, Flats, the transfer of ALL magazines, scopes over 1.5x must be turned in for destruction, all weapons must have their evil features removed and barrels must be dethreaded. Ill add some more stuff later. Considering the fact that the ban has not been introduced or possibly even drafted for that matter, its pretty devastating.

nicki
03-01-2009, 11:52 AM
They will ban as much as they can under a AW ban, probably all semi auto rifles. Current ones will be allowed to be registered and owned for the time being.

If compliance is low, they may consider doing a Aussie style buyback and pay those who turn them in thus avoiding takings lawsuits.

12 guage shotguns will be next, some of you may remember the streetsweeper, striker 12 and USAS Shotguns. They were reclassied as ddestructive devices by executive order and a creative reinterpretation of the GCA of 1968.

Expect they will say that shotguns over 50 cal that are not configured in a sporting configuration are destructive devices. A pump mossberg for home defense is not a sporting gun, thus it would be a destructive device.

They could limit us to over/unders, side by side and single shot shotguns only and require full length stocks, no folders guys.

Then there is the issue of "Sniper rifles". Expect to see not only the 50 cal, but other rifles go as well. A 30/06 is a common rifle round, but how about the 417 barrett or other exotic and limited or wildcat rounds?

On handguns, expect to see the Saturday Night Special ban on cheap guns, a ban on "pocket rockets" for expensive small guns, a ban on semi auto's that were designed to take mags over 10 rounds.

The anti's know that as they require more licensing, less people will choose to own guns. Requring licensing according to them will reduce gun ownership by at least 50 percent.

As gun ownership is reduced, controls can be tightened till the population is totally disarmed.

They know criminals will have guns, that is not the real issue for them. The real issue for them is to take away your arms because the obvious goal of the gun control movement is to strip the American people of the means to violently remove a tyranical government from power by force.

Our opponents oppose the values of the Declaration of Independence, they say we need to be more like Europe.

Just a small comment. I country was designed to be the exact opposite of Europe because the European way of doing things was screwed up.

Nicki

hnoppenberger
03-03-2009, 9:23 PM
its gonna be a big i told you so. thats what its gonna be.

i just hope my upper comes in soon. shoudl be any damn day!

NorthCountySC
10-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Please link to the bill or don't go there - we have actual bills to worry about right now.

Amen to that. HR1022 as well as other AW bills are unlikely because of the outcry that would follow....its those little jabs at our freedom that we should be worried about. all these little jabs add up to alot of loss over time.

since 962 has been passed we must focus on supporting a progun and over turn of 962. Bill 373 is just that...also alot will ride on the Mcdonal V. Chicago case. we have alot that can change the gun politics landscape for this state and the country

373 link
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=5176

BigDogatPlay
10-17-2009, 10:11 AM
If any Congress was going to try to shove out some kind of draconian ban, it would be this Congress. The Attorney General and the Secretary of State called for a permanent AWB with a massive FUD campaign.

And while bills have been introduced, none have come even close to coming out of committee to a floor vote, let alone getting anywhere near Barack's desk for a signature. And it doesn't look like any will any time soon. They didn't in the last Congress, and so far they aren't in this Congress.

Why do you suppose that is?

Choptop
10-17-2009, 10:12 AM
what would it ban? Speculation.

Sinestr
10-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Dancing ?? Maybe,you never know.

locosway
10-17-2009, 11:19 AM
If one did pass, it would be very restrictive, but the NRA would lobby to let some guns in and compromise. We would also expect to see no time limit set for it to expire.

Obama is paving the road for a revolt, especially if this happens.

Rob454
10-17-2009, 3:18 PM
If one did pass, it would be very restrictive, but the NRA would lobby to let some guns in and compromise. We would also expect to see no time limit set for it to expire.

Obama is paving the road for a revolt, especially if this happens.

Yeah i think that at that point out of the 80 million gun owners i would say that about 70-80% will go and do what the government tells them. After all they know better right?
I think of the smog laws in Cali and how strict they are. Those smog laws Cali wrote and uses are now being looked at and USED in other states.

People in other states sit back and laugh at californians' and the laws we have not realizing that they are next on the chopping block. . Instead of uniting they laugh at us and think what idiots for voting these people and laws. Well the s*8t that's going on in this state will envelop the country eventually if we let it. if you think that the BATF and the respective state DOJ or whatever entity deals with guns in other states did not look long and hard at what/how the cali AWB entails/was written and if you think they will not have a set in concrete no mistake AWB that covers what Cali AWB missed you are sadly mistaken.There is some democrat/liberal weasel somewhere in the bowels of some state capital in ever state of this union that is dreaming up some crazy really restrictive AWB and its using Calis AWB as a template and making the damn thing even more stringent than Cali.
I think other states will have a harder time when they will get their own version of the AWB because the government ( not everyone in the government is stupid) actually sometimes learns from their mistakes
To all the other states good luck when a AWB bill arrives. Call Cali for legal advice

As for a 1776 revolt well people today ( not all but enough) are simply too conditioned not to challenge authority. Why the government will take care of us from cradle to grave so why bother.

Hope you guys realize that there is some sarcasm in here.

locosway
10-17-2009, 3:22 PM
It's the republicans too. There's no such thing as reasonable gun control for the law abiding. We're faced with a great dilemma that we've never known before. We have both parites showing us they don't care, and that they will not follow the constitution.

I think the only way around this is to get a new party into the office which hasn't happened in a long time. If it doesn't happen, there will be revolts, conditioned sheeple or not.

Rob454
10-17-2009, 3:38 PM
It's the republicans too. There's no such thing as reasonable gun control for the law abiding. We're faced with a great dilemma that we've never known before. We have both parites showing us they don't care, and that they will not follow the constitution.

I think the only way around this is to get a new party into the office which hasn't happened in a long time. If it doesn't happen, there will be revolts, conditioned sheeple or not.

maybe it is time for a new party to take over. hopefully one that has more common sense? I may vote liberitarian next time. Everyone I know sais I woudl vote for that guy but hes not gonna win. And I say well with a attitude like that of course he is not. Stand by for the upcoming riots and despair IMO

locosway
10-17-2009, 3:43 PM
maybe it is time for a new party to take over. hopefully one that has more common sense? I may vote liberitarian next time. Everyone I know sais I woudl vote for that guy but hes not gonna win. And I say well with a attitude like that of course he is not. Stand by for the upcoming riots and despair IMO

I believe I'll be voting Libertarian next time as well.

RRangel
10-17-2009, 3:50 PM
It will ban all firearms and ammunition. All of it. Only complete firearms and ammunition would be grandfathered in.

So all of the half built AR15s and unloaded brass, illegal. You must build it all into complete guns and ammo before the ban.

No my being a gun dealer has nothing to do with this statement of fear and panic. [/sarcasm]

You forgot airsoft and paintball guns. Nerf guns and spit wads will be next.

AndrewMendez
10-17-2009, 4:04 PM
I want to play too!!!

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/bbiggs_/Put-More-Tin-Foil-on-your-Roof-.jpg