PDA

View Full Version : Another 2 Flying with a Gun Questions.

Vin496
02-26-2009, 5:08 PM
1-I'll be going Out Of State for a bit next week and was wondering if I decide to take 1 of my handguns, if I can just use the hard plastic case it came in as the locked container, of course I'll use padlocks, and pack in my declared luggage.

2-What do you do if you only have a carry on?

DedEye
02-26-2009, 5:14 PM
1) Plastic hard case is fine.

2) You don't bring a gun.

neomentat
02-26-2009, 5:15 PM
why do you feel like you need a gun for where you're going? sounds like you're only option is to UPS it to your out of state address and UPS it back. why not just leave your guns at home and go handle your business without being so paranoid?

Vin496
02-26-2009, 5:22 PM
why do you feel like you need a gun for where you're going? sounds like you're only option is to UPS it to your out of state address and UPS it back. why not just leave your guns at home and go handle your business without being so paranoid?

What???!!??

You do realize you are on a gun forum right? I never said I needed one or had to have one.

How about I may just want to take it.

surpip
02-26-2009, 5:29 PM
What???!!??

You do realize you are on a gun forum right? I never said I needed one or had to have one.

plastic case is fine, you can even pack a box of ammo

no possible way to bring it in a carryon

DedEye
02-26-2009, 5:31 PM
What???!!??

Yeah, I don't think he thought that one through so well.

Greg-Dawg
02-26-2009, 5:49 PM
Do you have an out of state CCW? It'd be good to have one when traveling with a pistol.

Sam
02-26-2009, 6:51 PM

Paranoia may save his life. I think we all have guns out of a paranoia to some degree.

Gryff
02-26-2009, 7:03 PM

Wow...I think the Brady Campaign has a job for you if you're looking...

rdmax
02-26-2009, 8:36 PM
I have taken my own gun out of state to use for target practise while I was working out of state on long term assignments. It is actually really easy to take a firearm on an airplane flight, as long as it is properly locked in a hard case and declared at the ticket counter. They just peek to make sure it is unloaded and then they put there special handling tag on it. As I recall, I picked up my gun case at the baggage claim just like everyone else.

q2on
02-26-2009, 8:39 PM
I have taken my own gun out of state to use for target practise while I was working out of state on long term assignments. It is actually really easy to take a firearm on an airplane flight, as long as it is properly locked in a hard case and declared at the ticket counter. They just peek to make sure it is unloaded and then they put there special handling tag on it. As I recall, I picked up my gun case at the baggage claim just like everyone else.

So the case has to be unlocked, or do you have to be available to unlock it for them? The poster mentioned padlocking the case... if so, wouldn't they have to remove the lock before they can verify it's unloaded?

Gryff
02-26-2009, 9:24 PM
So the case has to be unlocked, or do you have to be unavailable to unlock it for them? The poster mentioned padlocking the case... if so, wouldn't they have to remove the lock before they can verify it's unloaded?

You HAVE to be present when they inspect the gun (this includes both the ticket counter agents and the TSA). Sometimes they'll try to tell you different, but it's federal law that you have to be present. So do not use TSA locks on the gun case, use padlocks or something that they cannot open with a universal key.

Occasionally, some airlines or TSA will say that they need to inspect the weapon in a back room. Again, unless you go with them, this is breaking the law (it's the exact same thing as letting a stranger borrow your gun and taking it out of your sight). Unlike your outer luggage, they cannot simply cut the lock off if they want to take a look. They have to physically find you and bring you back to the inspection point before they can inspect/handle the weapon (which could entail bringing you off the plane and you missing your flight). They can open your outer luggage without you being present, but they cannot open the firearm case.

So, declare the weapon at the gate and let the ticket agent verify that it is unloaded (if they request). Then they'll normally walk you over to the TSA inspectors who may or may not inspect it. Normally they are simply going to run it through the bomb/Xray scanner.

A note about ammo...you can pack ammo in the same suitcase as the gun, but the gun must be locked in its own box/case. Make sure that your ammo is either in its original box(es), or you are using the plastic ammo boxes.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/handgun/images/p50.jpg

I got yelled at by TSA last year when I tried to transport several hundred rounds bulk packed in a plastic ammo can (even though I filled the empty space in the can with foam peanuts to keep the ammo from moving around).

As for a gun case, use one that is strong enough to keep someone out. I don't like the plastic cases like the MTM or DoskoSport because someone can pry them open pretty easily with a screwdriver. My personal favorite is the GuardForce because it is stronger and the clasps have padlock loops on them to provide better security.

kato4moto
02-26-2009, 9:37 PM
Gryff's description is pretty much what I experience at any of the domestic airports large or small that I fly. It's a pretty painless experience and takes just a few more minutes.

I place my lockable aluminum handgun case inside larger soft-sided luggage; neither has any type of firearms identifiers. When flying with long guns, my Pelican is again "decorated" with nothing that would cause someone to think there's a firearm inside. In fact, I've only been asked if I'm a musician (the long hair helps). I answer affirmatively.

I fly an average of twice a month on business trips and have been taking at least one firearm and ammo for three or four years now with no problems (knock on wood). Be polite and pleasant to the ticketing agent; they've all been pretty cool and none has shown any sign of being anti-gun, at least visibly. Same with TSA.