PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Handguns Into CA

xLusi0n
02-26-2009, 2:46 PM
If an AZ resident travels to CA with his AZ bought and owned handgun, at what point does he need to register it if he does not become a CA resident? The importer form on the CA DOJ website asks for a CA Driver's License or ID number...but if the person has an AZ license?

Cypren
02-26-2009, 2:58 PM
If an AZ resident travels to CA with his AZ bought and owned handgun, at what point does he need to register it if he does not become a CA resident? The importer form on the CA DOJ website asks for a CA Driver's License or ID number...but if the person has an AZ license?

To my understanding, you only need to complete a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report if you are changing residency. Temporary importation of handguns by a non-resident is legal, provided that they comply with all other aspects of California firearms law for possession. Note that many guns (such as those handguns not listed on the roster for sale in California) are perfectly legal to own, but cannot be sold. However, other guns are explicitly illegal due to features (for example, the threaded barrel on an HK Mark 23 or USP Tactical makes it an "assault weapon" and importation is illegal).

The New Resident report is required to be filed within 60 days of the first date of residency in the state. As a general precaution, then, it would stand to reason that a length of stay of under 60 days would fall well outside the bounds of arrest or prosecution for failure to register. Lengths beyond that would be increasingly likely to require a court battle to prove your permanent residency in another state in the event that you were arrested.

xLusi0n
02-26-2009, 4:01 PM
Well, if a cop was to detain someone with that handgun (assuming transported correctly) he would just have to show his AZ driver's license and explain he's not a resident and he should be OK right?

Cypren
02-26-2009, 5:20 PM
Well, if a cop was to detain someone with that handgun (assuming transported correctly) he would just have to show his AZ driver's license and explain he's not a resident and he should be OK right?

Assuming that the handgun isn't prohibited as an assault weapon (for features such as a threaded barrel), that he only has California-neutered magazines (10 rounds or less), that it's transported unloaded and in a locked container, and that he is not in a prohibited place (such as a university campus), having an Arizona driver's license and Arizona plates should get him out of a charge of having an unregistered handgun and let him be on his way with no incidents.

It's in the forum rules, but just to be clear: this does not constitute legal advice. If you want a guarantee of safety, you'll need to consult with a California attorney specializing in firearms law. This is just my best-understanding interpretation of the penal code and applicable case law.

gunsmith
02-26-2009, 6:21 PM
Assuming that the handgun isn't prohibited as an assault weapon (for features such as a threaded barrel), that he only has California-neutered magazines (10 rounds or less), that it's transported unloaded and in a locked container, and that he is not in a prohibited place (such as a university campus), having an Arizona driver's license and Arizona plates should get him out of a charge of having an unregistered handgun and let him be on his way with no incidents.

It's in the forum rules, but just to be clear: this does not constitute legal advice. If you want a guarantee of safety, you'll need to consult with a California attorney specializing in firearms law. This is just my best-understanding interpretation of the penal code and applicable case law.

what he says plus

I'm pretty sure those cool AR15 type pistols with removable mags would be a no no, also keep it to ten round mags.
plain handguns, unloaded, locked in a gun bag, separate ammo and in the trunk should be fine. IANAL

Quiet
02-26-2009, 6:58 PM
Only residents of CA can register firearms in CA.

xLusi0n
02-26-2009, 6:59 PM
It's just a P2000SK 9mm with 10rders.

aslink
02-27-2009, 2:25 AM
I'll be moving to CA very soon. Do I have to register my guns?

I thought when I filled out the paperwork at the gun store to purchase my name gets attached to that serial number of said gun and that would be enough of a paper trail. I could be way wrong to think like that but then what's the point of the paperwork in the first place?

I've got to say there are way to many rules to own guns in CA. I grew up in CA and moved out about 6 years ago. Started purchasing guns here in Montana and now that I'm moving back my head swims with all the rules. It's silly really. I have my CCW here and I would think all states would push for their populous to get CCW's. You take a class and then get finger printed and then they do a background check. That to me seems a lot better then knowing some just registered their gun/s.

An armed society is a polite society.

And of course my other favorite is.

The police aren't paid to protect they're paid to show up after so they can outline the bodies and ask questions.

TRICKSTER
02-27-2009, 2:32 AM
I'll be moving to CA very soon. Do I have to register my guns?

I thought when I filled out the paperwork at the gun store to purchase my name gets attached to that serial number of said gun and that would be enough of a paper trail. I could be way wrong to think like that but then what's the point of the paperwork in the first place?

I've got to say there are way to many rules to own guns in CA. I grew up in CA and moved out about 6 years ago. Started purchasing guns here in Montana and now that I'm moving back my head swims with all the rules. It's silly really. I have my CCW here and I would think all states would push for their populous to get CCW's. You take a class and then get finger printed and then they do a background check. That to me seems a lot better then knowing some just registered their gun/s.

An armed society is a polite society.

And of course my other favorite is.

The police aren't paid to protect they're paid to show up after so they can outline the bodies and ask questions.

All the information you need is here....
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php

JDay
02-27-2009, 2:36 AM
Note that many guns (such as those handguns not listed on the roster for sale in California) are perfectly legal to own, but cannot be sold.

This is not true. You can PPT any handgun that is not on the roster so long as its not classified as an AW in this state.

Sam
02-27-2009, 2:54 AM
This is not true. You can PPT any handgun that is not on the roster so long as its not classified as an AW in this state.

you could, but off roster guns cannot be transfered from an Arizona resident to a California resident.

I have my CCW here and I would think all states would push for their populous to get CCW's.

please leave your logic at the border.