PDA

View Full Version : Pelosi says something right for once - should we respond?

Dr Rockso
02-26-2009, 11:53 AM
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/pelosi-tosses-cold-water-on-reviving-assault-weapon-ban-2009-02-26.html
Pelosi throws cold water on weapons ban
By Mike Soraghan
Posted: 02/26/09 11:59 AM [ET]
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tossed cold water on the prospect of reinstating the assault weapons ban, highlighting Democrats’ reluctance to take on gun issues.

“On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,” Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. “I think it's clear the Bush administration didn’t do that.”

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who don’t want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

The White House declined to comment on Holder's remarks, referring reporters to the Department of Justice. The DoJ did not respond to The Hill's request for comment.

Attorney General Eric Holder raised the prospect Wednesday that the administration would push to bring back the ban. But Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated on Thursday that he never talked to her. The Speaker gave a flat “no” when asked if she had talked to administration officials about the ban.
In response to Attorney General Holder's recent comments about reviving the federal AWB to combat cartel violence in Mexico, Pelosi said that "we need to enforce the laws we have right now." Sound awfully familiar to what we've been saying for years, that the push for new, ineffectual, feel-good laws is irrational when we don't enforce the laws we already have.

Pelosi's statement, even if politically motivated, is on target. If you're a constituent of her's I think you should respond with a positive letter or email. Qualify it however you'd like; that you don't see eye-to-eye with her on many issues, but you're happy to hear that she is concerned with enforcing existing law instead of creating new, ineffective, feel-good laws.

Somehow I think I'm going to get flamed for this, so bring it on :cool2:

racer_X_123
02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
No if she really thinks that then i dont feel that it is an issue and we should let her know that we agree that creating new laws is not the solution

Alaric
02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Somehow I don't think Pelosi's comments were motivated by her support for the 2nd, which arguably does not exist. I believe they were motivated by her desire to demonstrate her own self-aggrandizing power and rebuke Holder for stepping out of lockstep with her legislative agenda.

Sending her love letters will only serve to inflate her giant ego even further.

AaronHorrocks
02-26-2009, 12:01 PM
What she said was code that Bush is bad for not signing the bill to CONTINUE the "Assault Weapons" Ban.

Dr Rockso
02-26-2009, 12:03 PM
What she said was code that Bush is bad for not signing the bill to CONTINUE the "Assault Weapons" Ban.
Bush would have signed it, congress didn't pass one.

I agree that this is probably motivated from a desire to rebuke Holder for opening his yap and pissing people off. But what harm could come from letting her know that what she said is what she should continue to say?

artherd
02-26-2009, 12:12 PM
she's a politician, and like any other is paying attention to the way the opinions of her voters are changing.

Show her how many of us agree that 'no new laws' is a good idea, and suddenly watch that become 'her opinion!'.

oddball
02-26-2009, 12:19 PM

+1

George Bush not enforcing gun laws? Interesting way of phrasing it Nancy.

AaronHorrocks
02-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Bush would have signed it, congress didn't pass one.

I agree that this is probably motivated from a desire to rebuke Holder for opening his yap and pissing people off. But what harm could come from letting her know that what she said is what she should continue to say?

According to the spam the demorats sent me trying to get me on an online petition, the bill was on Bush's desk to sign.
Do I believe YOU or the democrat party? I guess I'll have to say YOU since I don't know you. Therefore you're more trustworthy. The whole thing could have just been more propaganda and lies to make people hate bush more.

SDJim
02-26-2009, 12:52 PM
she's a politician, and like any other is paying attention to the way the opinions of her voters are changing.

Why do I see a resurrection of the "Trial Balloon" MO here. A member of the administration (in this case the AG) makes a statement and pollsters see which way the wind blows before action is taken. If more people start contacting their representatives saying this is really bad . . . BO can go on TV saying "There is nothing to fear, the AG was speaking out of turn", but if more people support another AWB, it becomes a great idea.
Or, maybe I'm just reading to much into things . . .

MolonLabe2008
02-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Don't be fooled. These scumbags will pass gun control laws when the time is right.

odysseus
02-26-2009, 12:58 PM
I think right now everyone should be downright light on what any of these politicians in D.C. says to a reporter, camera, etc. While what Pelosi says is certainly interesting and not entirely unexpected, it means nothing and should be taken with a grain of salt. A lot of "talk" is going on around this subject in both directions, and certainly what is more important is what is on paper, what is on the floor, and what is being acted on, not what is being positioned on with a lot of hot air to be distributed to the MSM. Judge a tree by its fruit.

JDoe
02-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Why do I see a resurrection of the "Trial Balloon" MO here. A member of the administration (in this case the AG) makes a statement and pollsters see which way the wind blows before action is taken. If more people start contacting their representatives saying this is really bad . . . BO can go on TV saying "There is nothing to fear, the AG was speaking out of turn", but if more people support another AWB, it becomes a great idea.

I believe you are correct that it was/is a Trial Balloon.

Two Shots
02-26-2009, 1:03 PM
Is this the beginning of infighting amongst the elite.

Tier One Arms
02-26-2009, 1:05 PM
They'll have a bill to BHO by this summer.

deleted by PC police
02-26-2009, 1:17 PM
This is one of those occasions where you look a gift horse in the mouth.

rayra
02-26-2009, 1:36 PM
Pelosi is doing nothing more than clucking over a separation of powers issue, form her point of view.
She'd pass a total gun ban in a microsecond, if she thought she could survive doing so.

pneutin
02-26-2009, 1:39 PM
“On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,” Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. “I think it's clear the Bush administration didn’t do that.”

I think what she really meant was, "we currently need to enforce the laws we have, and then we'll look into an AWB when the economy is better and the time is right". Not "we need to enforce the laws we already have and not push for more gun control".

DDT
02-26-2009, 1:55 PM
For every stick there must be a carrot.

hawk1
02-26-2009, 2:12 PM
Meh, she 'mis-spoke' thats all...:cool:

CSDGuy
02-26-2009, 2:14 PM
I think what she really meant was, "we currently need to enforce the laws we have, and then we'll look into an AWB when the economy is better and the time is right". Not "we need to enforce the laws we already have and not push for more gun control".
That and by reading the response to the AG's statement, she's likely reading the tea leaves like this: "we do this, and we're out of office in 2010, in a HUGE way." She knows that if they try this again, too soon, they're gone. She's being protective of the Democrats remaining in power more than she's doing "us" a favor.

Dutch
02-26-2009, 3:25 PM
Somehow I don't think Pelosi's comments were motivated by her support for the 2nd, which arguably does not exist. I believe they were motivated by her desire to demonstrate her own self-aggrandizing power and rebuke Holder for stepping out of lockstep with her legislative agenda.

+1 :thumbsup:

Canute
02-26-2009, 4:32 PM
I think it's difficult to make conjectures at what ulterior motives she may or may not have. Remain wary, but consider this a gift.
I think it's possible that the American public is souring enough on gun control that it will be difficult for more of it to pass through without a fight.

Pvt. Cowboy
02-26-2009, 4:40 PM
If you're a constituent of her's I think you should respond with a positive letter or email.

Good grief.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9735/07526234124ackbarvt7.gif

DedEye
02-26-2009, 4:40 PM
For every stick there must be a carrot.

Yup.

Why shouldn't we provide positive reinforcement for this talking point? As others have said, perhaps if she hears this enough she'll actually adopt it as her point of view.

Maybe in a few years we can get her to run for Sheriff of San Francisco on the platform of shall issue CCW :p ;).

RRangel
02-26-2009, 5:06 PM
It almost sounds like she's providing cover. We all know she's not really a friend of gunnies, and I wouldn't trust what she says when the time comes for her to put her money where her vote is.

TheDM
02-26-2009, 5:43 PM
Don't be fooled. These scumbags will pass gun control laws when the time is right.

Yup, right before the revolution.

Personally, I think Holder's statement was a party experiment to "test the waters", not just for a possible new AWB, but to see how testy we are.

They learned we are close the edge, their backup plan was to have Pelosi calm the waters.

Never underestimate your enemy.

And, yes, I do get a good price on tin foil in the bulk that I buy it in, as well as supplies.

yellowfin
02-26-2009, 7:30 PM
If they pass another AWB with the economy down further, there might not be a ballot box.

vrand
02-26-2009, 7:56 PM
If they pass another AWB with the economy down further, there might not be a ballot box.

:cool:

OldGunTard
02-26-2009, 11:20 PM
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/reid-joins-pelosi-in-opposing-weapons-ban-revival-2009-02-26.html

Reid joins Pelosi in opposing weapons ban revival
By J. Taylor Rushing
Posted: 02/26/09 10:17 PM [ET]
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid will join Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in opposing any effort to revive the 1994 assault weapons ban, putting them on the opposite side of the Obama administration.

Reid spokesman Jim Manley said the Nevada Democrat will preserve his traditional pro-gun rights voting record.

"Senator Reid would oppose an effort (to) reinstate the ban if the Senate were to vote on it in the future," Manley told The Hill in an e-mail late Thursday night.

It was not immediately clear whether Reid would block the bill from the Senate, but his opposition casts serious doubt on its chances. Also, Manley noted that Reid voted against the ban in 1994 and again when it expired in 2004.

Reid's stance joins him with Pelosi, who told reporters Thursday that the administration had not checked with her before Attorney General Eric Holder told reporters the administration would attempt to reinstate the ban. Pelosi gave a flat “no” when asked if she had spoken to Holder or any other administration officials about the issue.

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who don’t want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

Holder said during a press conference Wednesday in Phoenix, Ariz., that Obama had made reinstating the ban one of his campaign promises.

"There are obviously a number of things that are — that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so I’m not sure exactly what the sequencing will be," Holder said. "It is something, however, that we still think would be an appropriate thing to do."

The news caught Capitol Hill by surprise, immediately pitting Democrats and Republicans against each other and even exposing deep divides among Democrats. A number of House Democrats lost their seats after being targeted by the National Rifle Association for voting for the 1994 ban.

-- Mike Soraghan contributed to this article.

On the face of it, on seems to me that:

(1) Democratic congressional leadership had agreed, well before AG Holder's lead trial balloon went clunk on the ground, that they weren't going to go near an AWB revival. Else they wouldn't have come out so quickly against their own party's cabinet member.

(2) Holder is off on his own on this, even in the executive. If he actually had something specific from Obama speaking to him as president to support an AWB, why would he stoop to citing that stale platform item, as if he's some kind of outsider with only public sources?

It struck me that he could even be trying to box Obama into a corner by citing his record. That wouldn't increase face time with the boss, even if Holder does play basketball.

oscarred
02-27-2009, 12:10 AM

On the money! She's a die hard and would never change her beliefs, just put aside for a few. A true despot.

johnny_22
02-27-2009, 2:35 PM
I wrote Mike Honda and let him know that I was happy with Speaker Pelosi's comments and asked him to support her in stopping any future so-called AWB ban legislation.

We'll see if he truly supports the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation which he is a member of.

radioburning
03-01-2009, 1:54 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, I think we dropped the ball on this one. Was there any public outcry about what Holder said? No. Was there a news story about how Holder's office was flooded with calls, mail, emails, angry citizens? No, because it didn't happen. On top of that, when Pelosi, or Harry Reid, come out against Holder all they hear from the gun community is crickets.

Dr. Rockso, I'm with you on this one. I think many gun owners have too much face to save to congratulate a Dem for saying the right thing(even if said Dem is an idiot).

I want to save my guns, and the guns of future generations. I'm willing to look past years of pure stupidity, if in some way it helps preserve the 2A right here and now.

ElToro
03-01-2009, 2:02 PM
maybe el presidente Soetoro should ask his homie WJ Clinton how well the dems did at the ballot box after the 94 AWB ?

I think this was a trial balloon, the gun community (appropiately) went ape and they sent botox pelosi out to calm people down.

i think we will see increasing attempts to back door control through making ammo more expensive, lead ammo bans nationwide etc.