PDA

View Full Version : 17b and ccw

piutemike
02-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Hi, pretty new here and I have a question. 12 years ago I had my gun rights restored Penal code (17b). Has anyone ever heard of a person who had their gun rights restored in Ca also apply for and receive a CCW permit.

I'm in Kern County and the previous felony that was reduced to a misdemeanor was possession of a illegal weapon (sawed off shotgun)

Thanks,

Mike

Doheny
02-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi, pretty new here and I have a question. 12 years ago I had my gun rights restored Penal code (17b). Has anyone ever heard of a person who had their gun rights restored in Ca also apply for and receive a CCW permit.

I'm in Kern County and the previous felony that was reduced to a misdemeanor was possession of a illegal weapon (sawed off shotgun)

Thanks,

Mike

Kern is certainly one of the easier places to get a CCW, but I'm not sure what they would think of your situation. A lot of time has gone by, so it's certainly worth giving it a try. Just be prepared to explain the circumstances surrounding the matter.

paintballergb
02-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Your in a good place in CA but your conviction is more than likely going to ruin your chances.

Ten Rounder
02-26-2009, 7:36 AM
Be up front and disclose the information and apply. Then it is all in the hands of the sheriff. Really, why ask here, if you can ago buy a pistol you should be able to apply.

p7m8jg
02-26-2009, 8:10 AM
Make sure you're clear what you received under Penal Code section 17b.

If you had a felony conviction (if that's what you had) 17(b) can be used to reduce the charge to a misdemeanor. But I'd be very, very careful about whether it takes away any previous felony conviction prohibiting possession of a firearm under Penal Code section 12021.

Talk to a lawyer to be sure.

Meplat
02-26-2009, 10:36 AM
I would echo others in saying, see a lawyer first, but Kern is a good place to be. If you have your right to possess restored it would seem illogical not to allow you a permit because if you want to misuse a gun you can do it with or without a permit. But we all know the antis are illogical.

Speaking of logic, (sawed off shotgun)?, what the **** were you thinkin'.:eek:

Thanks,

Mike

CA_Libertarian
02-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Speaking of logic, (sawed off shotgun)?, what the **** were you thinkin'.:eek:

What's illogical about sawed-off shotguns is that they're illegal. Another stupid law that makes the sheeple feel a little safer, and another drop eroding our rights.

edwardm
02-26-2009, 2:33 PM

If you had a felony conviction (if that's what you had) 17(b) can be used to reduce the charge to a misdemeanor. But I'd be very, very careful about whether it takes away any previous felony conviction prohibiting possession of a firearm under Penal Code section 12021.

17(b) does just that in most cases.

From the horse's mouth, no less:

http://www.calgunlaws.com/index.php/topic-summaries/530.html

BigBamBoo
02-26-2009, 2:45 PM

piutemike
02-26-2009, 9:36 PM
I was in the same boat as you. Had a felony conviction 18 years ago. Got it reduced and set aside per 17(b),etc.

I went to the Sheriff's office a few months ago with all my paper work and DOJ paper work stating I could own firearms. The deputy I spoke with asked me a bunch of questions then said HE had no problem with issuing me a CCW but wanted to ask someone higher up the chain of command.

He left and about half an hour later he returns and tells me go take the CCW class,etc., and come back so I could get my CCW!

I still have not had the time to go take the class...but you should go talk with the officer who does the CCW. They should tel you if they will do it or not.

Good luck,Stan

Thanks Stan,
Thats what I was looking for, I know I can apply, I just wondered if there was ever a success story with someone in the same situation. Guess I have nothing to lose.

piutemike
02-26-2009, 9:45 PM
I would echo others in saying, see a lawyer first, but Kern is a good place to be. If you have your right to possess restored it would seem illogical not to allow you a permit because if you want to misuse a gun you can do it with or without a permit. But we all know the antis are illogical.

Speaking of logic, (sawed off shotgun)?, what the **** were you

thinkin'.:eek:

Not sure why you would think I need a lawyer, did that years ago, as for the other, back in 1988 I was shooting with a friend in the hills, Game warden pulls up, I have my buddys modified shotgun in my hand shooting it. Ya I knew they were illegal, but I wasn't out robbing banks, and it was stupid. You ever do anything stupid?

Mike