View Full Version : New owner training

02-25-2009, 5:34 PM
My wife and I bought our first handgun this past Sunday. A S&W 686 Plus. We want to be responsible guns owners and I have been looking for a class for new handguns owners in the San Jose, Ca area. Let me tell you, it's not easy.

I found one that seems to be have a regular schedule at the Chabot range but other than that nothing. We ask when we bought the gun and the owner of the shop said he could give the name of someone that might be able to teach us and to call him.

Before buying the gun we tried a few types at a range and ask them about training, got pretty much the same response, he's a guys name.

Does anyone know of a new handgun owners scheduled, structured training class in the San Jose area? We just want some pointers on proper aiming, shooting, care, cleaning and storage as well as the law regarding handguns in CA.

What Just Happened?
02-25-2009, 5:48 PM
Look around for NRA handgun classes. A good place to ask would be at ranges. That or you could exercise your Google-fu.

02-25-2009, 5:52 PM
chad - congratulations on your purchase and wise decision to seek training. the training and practice is so very important. i would suggest you contact mike miller (tacticalintervention) on this forum and ask about when his next pistol class is. i believe he does it out at metcalf range. i would also suggest you check out frontsight in nevada if you can afford the time and money it takes to train there.

02-25-2009, 5:56 PM
since it says you are in the south bay...

lots of classes here -

personally cannot vouch for them, but appears to be a wide selection

02-25-2009, 6:08 PM
Thanks for the link. I will check them out.

02-25-2009, 7:22 PM
Congrats on your new purchase! Good for you for seeking out proper training.

Give Bill Tidwell a call. He's an NRA Training Counselor in your general area. Here's his web site address:

02-25-2009, 8:21 PM
Grats on the purchase, and I am happy to hear you guys want some proper training as well. Besides gun ranges there are Security Personnel Training Centers that also teach Civilians with a more in depth training and offer some more off the wall how to in Case of Emergency Training as well. I went to my friend that is a Certified Firearms Instructor and took a 4 hour course. I knew some things about guns and safety, but I learned a whole lot too taking a simple 4 hour class.

Good luck and have fun and welcome to the Family :D

02-25-2009, 8:31 PM
I suggest stopping into Reeds during the week (less busy = more time to chat) Talk to them about classes and recomendations. There is glass behind the shooters so you can observe people using the range and what they are doing in the way of safety at the range. I have not taken any classes there but my dad took the stage 1 tactical class and loved it. Not a class designed for first time making gun go boom type folks but sounded like a great class once comfortable. I think they have an NRA class this weekend (or next but don't quote me)