View Full Version : Anyone use Red or Blue Dot for .223

02-25-2009, 1:29 PM
I saw a couple loads on another website that listed Alliant Blue Dot at 4.6gr pushing a 40gr to 2100. Anyone have a similar mag dump/plinking load using 55gr FMJ. Alliant's website didn't have any info (not good, I know). Basically Im looking for a powder where I can get the most rounds per pound of powder. Im going to be at loading up 5000plus rounds and would like to save wherever possible. Thanks ahead of time.

02-25-2009, 1:36 PM
Just as a note, I FULLY understand that these are shotshell powders. My main question is if anyone knows of a powder where I can get away with using as little powder as needed.

02-25-2009, 1:52 PM

02-25-2009, 2:47 PM
If you look up any powder-burn chart, you'll notice these are fast-burn powder, usually for pistol load. Maybe you already know this, that typical powder for 223 (say, varget) are medium burn rate. Powder-mfg will not recommend any form of squib-loading due to legal issue (especially from slower to faster powder, and risk of double-charging).

That does not mean it's not doable, as someone has done it before. I've done it for bolt or single-shot rifles, but not in an auto-loader. The phrase 'mag dump' worries me a little shooting squib loads, because one danger of squib-loading is primer-ignition-only (i.e. bullet stuck in the barrel) due to powder positioning (for example, 4.6gr spreading around in a relative large case), and if you hurry through a mis-fire/cycle action manually/trigger-pull without checking the barrel for obstruction- kaboom.

What I'll do:
1. Load each round individually to avoid any risk of double-charging using pistol powder. For a 223 case you can probably hide 2-3x amount of pistol powder without any visual warning.
2. Load 100 rounds and single-shot each one of them to see if you have any ignition problem, and if it cycle the action properly (load 2 rounds in the mag: first is squib round, 2nd a dummy round).
3. Repeat 1 and 2 until you feel 100% secure about your loads.
4. Always bring a brass-rod, hammer, and WD40 when shooting squib-loads.
5. If you're new to reloading, I suggest you try squib loading on a single-shot or bolt-action rifle to gain some experience.

02-25-2009, 3:10 PM
That Blue Dot was a intresting read. I wonder if it cycles a semi eh? Theres abundant Blue Dot in my area..maybe I can get some to try out.

02-25-2009, 3:11 PM
Reduced loads using Blue dot are popular right now for plinking but I have a problem with using such a small charge in a rifle cartridge. The case is so much bigger than the charge that you cannot see if you have the wrong charge in it. The neck of the 223 is so small that 5 grains of powder wouldn't look much different than 10 grains of powder and if you accidently double charge the case you won't know it until they go to dig the metal fragments out of your face.

The other issue with such a small charge is that you don't know where the charge sits in relation to the primer for every shot. If you point the rifle down, all the powder will be in the neck and you may get inconsistent powder burn rate leading to inconsistent pressures and accuracy.

My rules for reloading any bottle necked cartridge is that I won't use any load that: I cannot judge the uniformity of the charge just by looking inside of the case mouth, and I won't use any charge that if I double charge it, will not overflow the case.

02-25-2009, 3:18 PM
When I load reduced rounds I usually weight them before I seat the bullet. One thing that got me intrested in reduced rounds was at the range a guy was shooting 30-06 with poly-fil for his reduced loads. He said its suppose to keep the powder from moving around in the case. Makes sense, and he was getting sub-moa at 50 yards.

02-25-2009, 4:19 PM
30-06 with poly-fil for his reduced loads

1/4 sheet of single-ply toilet paper will do, too.
I always worried about melted dacron fouling the barrel.

02-26-2009, 9:33 AM
Amatuers. :D

The old Salts use cornmeal. ;)

02-26-2009, 2:51 PM
I've used 6.9gr of Red Dot behind a 150 grain hardcast bullet for a light 30-30 load. It's very pleasant to shoot.

02-26-2009, 8:49 PM
I used poly-fil in my 30-06 with cast bullets worked great, and I never seen any "fouling"