PDA

View Full Version : honorable representatives

captn-tin
02-25-2009, 11:13 AM
in contacting my (our) representatives, what is the correct greeting. honorable seems to be such a hard word to use in addressing these people. thanks for input.

yellowfin
02-25-2009, 11:26 AM
I guess Representative would work.

DDT
02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I just use their last name and Mr/Ms. I think using 'honorable' is despicable. There are supposed to be no titles of nobility in this country. And in many cases it's a downright lie.

Hope you never intend on getting on the good side of a judge.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2181890_address-elected-officials.html

deleted by PC police
02-25-2009, 11:35 AM
dear scum bucket???

DDT
02-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Yes, but a judge is not a representative... With Judges, especially those who decide whether I go to jail or go home... It's yes your honor sir, your honor.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood when you wrote "There are supposed to be no titles of nobility in this country."

7x57
02-25-2009, 1:17 PM
Hey, we have representatives who are honorable? Who knew!

And not all titles are titles of nobility. The founders knew the difference between a feudal station based on birth and a title associated with an office.

7x57

Nodda Duma
02-25-2009, 1:42 PM
When speaking, the appropriate address is Mr. or Ms. / Mrs. for a representative.
Senators get addressed as "Senator" Even the President gets a simple "Mr. President" (Chosen by George Washington). Judges, of course, get a "Your Honor"

These were all hammered out when the country was founded, about the time the 1st Congress went into session.

When writing a letter to a House representative, address the rep as "The Honorable Mr. XX" or "The Honorable Madam XX". Senators still get "Senator Xx."

-Jason

dfletcher
02-25-2009, 2:37 PM
"Jane you ignorant ....."

Oh wait, mine is named Nancy. Nevermind.

DDT
02-25-2009, 5:46 PM
The title is recognition of the position not the individual currently holding it. Much like presidents wear their jacket and tie and request the same in the oval office because it represents the dignity of the office, not the person.