PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Residency

JJ1911
02-25-2009, 1:36 AM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has used a Signed/Dated rental agreement as proof of residency. I'm asking because I'm about to do a PPT, and need to use a rental agreement as my proof. I've used it in the last 4 handgun transactions without any issue however on the Irvington Arms website it does not list it as acceptable.

I looked it up on the DOJ and there is a section about rental agreements, but I know different places have different policies. A couple of months ago I went to a place that would not accept my rental agreement even though others did, which is why I am asking!

Cesar G.
02-25-2009, 6:57 AM
you are good to go on rental agreement as long as it has been from the last 30 or 60 days not sure on that but rental agreement ok

SevenFifty
02-25-2009, 7:30 AM
I've used one, but had to have it notarized

ke6guj
02-25-2009, 11:12 AM
It should work fine to prove POR for CA, but if your ID does not have you current address on it, it may not meet federal POR requirements.

Franksremote
02-26-2009, 10:40 AM
A current rental agreement is fine as a SPOR.

socom2
03-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Guys, I got married and moved in with my wife and I was never asked to add me on to the rental agreement I have lived here for over a year and all the utility bills are in her name. I am not sure what else to show as proof of residency.. Someone told me to bring a copy of my marriage license and my wife's utility bill and maybe that would work. I just bought a RRA stripped lower from the cow palace show and need to do the paperwork etc.

Any thoughts?

BigMac
03-03-2009, 5:15 AM
If you are a US citizen, you do not need a secondary proof for a long gun.

socom2
03-03-2009, 9:30 AM
BigMac,

What would be the first proof if I am a citizen? Drivers License or what else?

Thank you,

ke6guj
03-07-2009, 12:27 PM
well, I don't see tax bill listed as an acceptable POR in the regulations, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf . Yes, it should be good enough, but it isn't a Utility bill, Residential Lease, or Property Deed. And it doesn't appear to be "Other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice" either.

CenterX
03-07-2009, 4:04 PM
Property Tax Bill does show both the address sent to and the address of the residence for the taxes.

This is just like a DMV auto registration. It shows your address and that you are current on payment

When matched to your driver license or other state issued ID (wow the founders of the constitution would be amazed that you have to show papers to prove who you are.) The car registration works. The Tax Statement Should too.

Call DOJ on monday, ask the question and get the agents name and extension if they state it is acceptable. Tell them you are going to "name of dealer" and that they have refused it in the past. or what to do if they refuse it.

Enjoy the experience. Laugh it off and get the paper that the mxyz wants.

(DOJ FAQ - copied)
What documentation is acceptable to demonstrate proof of residency for handgun purchasers?
Utility bill from within the past three months that bears on its face the individual's name and either of the following:
The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form
or

The individual's residential address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
"Utility bill" means a statement of charges for providing service to the individual's residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired telephone connection or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection) or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device.

Residential lease that bears the individual's name and either of the following:
The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form
or

The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification card, or change of address attachment thereto.
"Residential lease" means either of the following:

A signed and dated contract by which the individual (tenant)agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration for the right to occupy an abode for a specified period of time
or

A signed and dated rental agreement by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration at fixed intervals for the right to occupy an abode.
Property deed the bears the individual's name and either of the following:
or

The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
"Property deed" means either or the following:

A valid deed of trust for the individual's property of current residence that identifies the individual as a grantee of the trust
or

A valid Certificate of title issued by a licensed title insurance company that identifies the individual as a title holder to his or her property of current residence.
Current, government-issued license, permit, or registration, other than a CA Driver License or CA Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
or

The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
Examples of acceptable proof of residency:

Current DMV registrations.
Electricity, gas, cable bill with purchaser's name onit from within the last 3 months.
Signed, dated and notarized rental agreement/contract.
Examples of documents that are NOT acceptable proof of residency:

Hunting or fishing license (these documents are not issued by the government).
Cellular phone bill.
top (END of DOJ FAQ)

kobra
03-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Foreigners can buy a gun with green card and POR?

If thats the cause then thats why we got so much problem down south with the drug cartel.

hollabillz
05-05-2009, 4:28 PM
Foreigners can buy a gun with green card and POR?

If thats the cause then thats why we got so much problem down south with the drug cartel.

Trolling, right?

oogabooga
05-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Do you guys take .pdf printouts of utility bills? I do online payments, but they offer a .pdf bill that looks exactly like the bill that would come in the mail. Has name, address, date, etc. on it.

cseabass
05-07-2009, 2:17 PM
yep, as long as they have the correct info.