PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer demands videos from Sheriff Hutchens

tango-52
02-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Ordinary California Citizens Concerned With Safety (OCCCWS) have been requesting copies of the video from the January 13, 2009 Board of Supervisors meeting. After being delayed and then denied access to public documents, OCCCWS has begun legal proceedings against Appointed Sheriff Hutchens. The two letters, one to the Sheriff and one to the BOS, are each three pages long so I am only posting the link:

http://www.occcws.com/?p=612

In case you 't recognize his name and were wondering, here is some info on the attorney handling this matter. No, he is not one of the usual firearms attorneys. His expertise lies in areas appropriate to the issue at hand.

Attorney Profile
DAVID W. WIECHERT

Education: 1973-1977: University of Michigan
B.A. with Distinction and Highest Honors in Political Science

1977-1980: University of Michigan Law School
J.D. Cum Laude; Note Editor, University of Michigan Law
Review; Author of the "Haitian Vacation", Volume 77 - Michigan Law Review; Recipient of Howard Coblentz Award for Performance on the Law Review

Past
Employment: 1987-1994: Layman, Jones & Dye, Irvine, Ca.
Litigation Partner from 1/88 -1/94

1983-1987: Assistant United States Attorney
Central District of California
Member of Major Frauds Unit

1980-1983: Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, Century City, Ca.
Litigation Associate

Professional
Experience: Trial of over 30 cases in state and federal court, most by jury. Representation of individual and corporate clients in civil, criminal and administrative actions relating to potential violations of federal law. Won acquittal of Director of General Accounting of Carl Karcher Enterprises, Inc. in first insider trading prosecution filed in Central District of California. Handled civil, criminal, and administrative actions brought against President of Lincoln Savings & Loan Association for violations of securities laws. Represented former Orange County Treasurer in civil, criminal and administrative proceedings stemming from bankruptcy. Commentator on Burden of Proof and Court T.V.

Professional Associations: Former Officer and Director, Federal Bar Association, Orange County; Former Attorney Delegate, Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference; ABA White Collar Crime Steering Committee in Los Angeles

smokingloon
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
This is going to get interesting. Want to thank OCCCWS for their efforts.

hoffmang
02-24-2009, 11:19 PM
What happens if she just hands over the tapes?

-Gene

tankerman
02-25-2009, 4:20 AM

-GeneWell then why has she been delaying their release?

Sutcliffe
02-25-2009, 4:49 AM
Well then why has she been delaying so far?

The idea of what's on them is less to her than acknowledging that she got caught red handed violating the law.

tango-52
02-25-2009, 5:15 AM

-Gene

Well, that would be a start. She releases the videos, and OCCCWS can then prove that the plainclothesed SWAT team was harassing individuals because they were wearing OCCCWS buttons. Then there is getting the information that was requested in the thirty other PRAs, which deal with a lot of other embarrassing issues for her. I think she has her heels dug in and will be fighting.

DDT
02-25-2009, 6:17 AM

-Gene

I suppose the hope is that there will be further evidence of wrongdoing to keep up the fight. The more wrong doing proven the worse she looks for re-election, or possibly directly actionable activities.

OCCCWS
02-25-2009, 7:51 AM
I suppose the hope is that there will be further evidence of wrongdoing to keep up the fight. The more wrong doing proven the worse she looks for re-election, or possibly directly actionable activities.

OCCCWS has been monitoring an incredible number of actions on Sheriff Hutchens' part that, at the very least, are 'suspect'.

Just a quick reminder on why this footage was requested. About a dozen OCCCWS supporters showed up at the 1-13 OC BOS meeting along with many more citizens there for different reasons. They were met with an enormous presence of uniformed deputies (the Sheriff claimed fears of some union protest and open carry demonstration--neither of which materialized, amazingly), as well as SWAT officers in plain clothes. Not one single person was subjected to the use of a metal detector. The Sheriff also pulled the regular detail that operates the security cameras and replaced them with a hand picked deputy.

Once the OCCCWS supporters were allowed into the BOS chamber (into a supposed secure area) they were then approached at different intervals by officers in plain clothes and subjected to search, while others were not. Let me repeat that--they were not searched OUTSIDE, but after being let in to the area where they were preparing to speak out against the Sheriff. One OCCCWS supporter was followed from the BOS chamber to the ladies room by a female officer in plain clothes who stayed with her and then followed her out. Inside the BOS chamber, after subjecting OCCCWS supporters to search, the plain clothes SWAT officers then shadowed those with the green OCCCWS buttons. Some stood at the end of the aisles where these individuals sat and, as reported, glared at them.

While this was going on, Assistant Sheriff Hillmann, who is in charge of the SWAT team, and who famously derided law abiding citizens at the 11-18 BOS meeting on his Blackberry, sat at the back of the BOS chamber, presumably directing these activities.

Now, let's take the Sheriff at her word that all this was done because of fears of these really scary protests. Okay. Then why, when the Sheriff finished her remarks at the 1-13 meeting, did ALL the extra 'security' get up and leave with her. The meeting continued after this. Did the threat evaporate?

What has made the news is the fact that security footage from that day showed the hand picked deputy 'spying' on the notes of Supervisors. That would never have come to light had OCCCWS not demanded release of the footage via the Public Records Act.

Sheriff Hutchens thought that if she stonewalled long enough this would go away. She was wrong.

And one final thing--this is just the tip of the iceberg. Those who want to give Sheriff Hutchens a pass on this have no idea of what else has happened, and continues to be covered up, on her watch. But we do.

DDT
02-25-2009, 8:04 AM
Don't forget the SEIU union members who felt they were also treated poorly at the meeting.

hoffmang
02-25-2009, 12:04 PM
And one final thing--this is just the tip of the iceberg. Those who want to give Sheriff Hutchens a pass on this have no idea of what else has happened, and continues to be covered up, on her watch. But we do.

Don't at all construe my comment as "giving her a pass." I was just thinking the game theory through.

Here's to hoping she's as un-strategically minded as certain folks in Sacramento :thumbsup:

-Gene

OCCCWS
02-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Don't at all construe my comment as "giving her a pass." I was just thinking the game theory through.

Here's to hoping she's as un-strategically minded as certain folks in Sacramento :thumbsup:

-Gene

No worries. Didn't construe at all. :)

As for strategically minded, someone (I think here on CalGuns) put it best: she's a human mine detector, and she steps on every single one.

383green
02-25-2009, 12:43 PM
As for strategically minded, someone (I think here on CalGuns) put it best: she's a human mine detector, and she steps on every single one.

:rofl2:

Well, she's welcome to come visit my yard to detect the "mines" that my dogs lay... :D

I enjoyed reading those two letters. I especially liked the differences in tone and content between them, since one was (I think) a pro-forma request to friendly folks who probably don't have the documents in question, while the other was an open threat to a hostile party.

GuyW
02-25-2009, 3:33 PM
Now, let's take the Sheriff at her word that all this was done because of fears of these really scary protests. Okay. Then why, when the Sheriff finished her remarks at the 1-13 meeting, did ALL the extra 'security' get up and leave with her. The meeting continued after this. Did the threat evaporate?

Those naive Supervisors - they thought that the Sheriff was protecting THEM, as they paid for.....not her own bacon...

56Chevy
02-25-2009, 4:17 PM
I wonder when she's going to start saying that they're picking on her because she's a woman, or something resembling one.

N6ATF
02-25-2009, 5:20 PM
Hillmann's not a woman. Enemies of the Constitution deserve no defined gender - those who directly violate your human rights are just scum at the bottom of the cesspool.

Mute
02-25-2009, 5:24 PM
Sock it to her! We appreciate all the effort. KUDOS!!!!

vrand
02-25-2009, 5:49 PM
This is going to get interesting. Want to thank OCCCWS for their efforts.

:thumbsup:

56Chevy
02-25-2009, 6:02 PM
Hillmann's not a woman. Enemies of the Constitution deserve no defined gender - those who directly violate your human rights are just scum at the bottom of the cesspool.
Now who do you really feel?:p

GuyW
02-25-2009, 6:32 PM
those who directly violate your human rights are just scum at the bottom of the cesspool.

Mmmm, I think actually that the scum is usually on the top of the cesspool...but otherwise - right on!

N6ATF
02-25-2009, 8:37 PM
Iron-laden turds then!

Now who do you really feel?:p

I'd like to feel...

:wub:

whoops that's not what you meant.