PDA

View Full Version : AOW Question (VFG-definition??)

Rukus
02-24-2009, 7:17 PM
I've tried to search for an answer (both here and on a few other sites) but cannot seem to find a solid answer. Does the DOJ have a solid definition for what a Vertical Fore Grip is? For example a pistol grip is defined as:

"a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger while firing.

I'm curious as to how it would pertain to the definition of an AOW/ AR Pistol. I know that putting on a VFG on an AR constitutes the manufacture of an AOW and without the proper tax stamp results in a big no-no. But if one were to devise some sort of attachment that is used to index the shooters grip on the forend would it be considered a VFG? For example my idea would be something along the lines of what is seen here http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=22496&title=RAIL%20STOP Any ideas or feedback?

Josh3239
02-24-2009, 7:25 PM
I believe the current one used by the DOJ is, "any potrusion in front of the trigger that is designed or intended to grasp and control the firearm".

The DOJ updated the definition, but I think that was considered underground legislation and destroyed thanks to some of the guys on this forum.

ke6guj
02-24-2009, 7:26 PM
I don't have the answer you seek, but if you are attempting to design a non-VFG type of device, be aware that it has to comply with both CA and Federal law. So, both the feds and CADOJ have to agree that its not a VFG. Actually, on a fixed-mag pistol build, CADOJ's opinion wouldn't matter, just the feds.

EBR Works
02-24-2009, 7:51 PM
If you have an AK pistol, try this:

http://www.vmgtactical.com/

ATF says it is acceptable for use with a pistol.

Skammy
04-01-2009, 12:06 PM
...Has anyone thought of getting a c&r pistol that is on the Olympic pistol list and SBRing it :p ?

Quiet
04-01-2009, 1:50 PM
...Has anyone thought of getting a c&r pistol that is on the Olympic pistol list and SBRing it :p ?

C&R SBRs are effected by CA AW laws.

ke6guj
04-01-2009, 1:53 PM
C&R SBRs are effected by CA AW laws.
yah, but what he's angling at is that those listed olympic pistols are exempt from the AW laws. Interesting thought, but they are just .22lr's and .32's.

Are any of those olympic pistols 50+ years old or listed C&R?

Skammy
04-01-2009, 3:29 PM
I want to say that some of the high standards were.. or would be soon..

There is a S&W M-52 in 38 special listed but they made those in the 60s :\

I meant to put this in the other thread but got mixed up