PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota man facing charges for detonating Tannerite.

petey
02-24-2009, 3:44 PM
http://wcco.com/crime/prairie.island.explosion.2.631915.html

Jan 17, 2008 3:21 pm US/Central
Man Charged With Blast Near Prairie Island Plant
RED WING, Minn. (WCCO) ―

A man has been charged with eight felony and misdemeanor counts for setting off an explosion that put Prairie Island nuclear plant on high alert Sunday.

According to the Goodhue County Attorney, Brian Childs, 30, set off the explosion in a dump truck about a mile away from the plant Sunday evening.

Childs, of Welch Township, Minn., used explosives he had ordered through the mail to blow up the truck on his property.

"It was quite an explosion," said Goodhue County Sheriff Dean Albers earlier this week.

After the explosion, Childs then handed over a videotape of the blast.

According to the charges, Childs used 100 pounds of Tannerite he ordered over the Internet, which he placed in the truck's dump box before apparently allowing someone else to detonate it with a rifle shot. He said it was his understanding the Tannerite was legal.

Though no one was injured, Childs has been charged with felony disregard for human life, destruction of property, and reckless use of a dangerous explosive, in addition to five further counts.

His attorney, Joseph M. Paiement of Lakeland, said on Thursday that he anticipated filing motions to dismiss the charges ahead of Childs' next hearing on Feb. 22.

"We intend to challenge, particularly, the felony charges," he said. "I think that was over-charged."

A pdf of the complaint can be found at:
kstp.com/kstpImages/childs_criminal_complaint.pdf

I'm not suggesting that everyone who has T should have a boating accident, but this incident could move the BATFE to reclassify tannerite, or get the legislature riled up.

BTW, this guy had a previous felony conviction for assault. He also told the police that he had a video of the explosion, then gave them the memory card.

PolishMike
02-24-2009, 3:46 PM
http://wcco.com/crime/prairie.island.explosion.2.631915.html

Jan 17, 2008 3:21 pm US/Central
Man Charged With Blast Near Prairie Island Plant
RED WING, Minn. (WCCO) ―

No need to post old news. This has been discussed several times here.

petey
02-24-2009, 3:54 PM
Hmm. My "Search-Fu" skills must be weak. Time to hit the gym.

DDT
02-24-2009, 3:58 PM
I guess it's tough sometimes to find threads over a year old.

bwiese
02-24-2009, 4:49 PM
Tannerite, to me, is at least of very questionable legal status in CA.

I'd disregard what Tanner says about CA legality - he's in Oregon with Oregon lawyers.

Harrison_Bergeron
02-24-2009, 4:50 PM
From what I remember from the old thread, it was obvious from the pics or vid and the info on the blast that he did not use straight tannerite, thus he is not protected. Apparently 100 pounds of tannerite is not able to fully detonate on its own the way his concoction did.

This is just what I vaguely remember from the old thread, so it may be a little off.

383green
02-24-2009, 5:16 PM
Also, there's a wee bit of difference between a bit of Tannerite fun vs. distributing pieces of dump truck over a quarter mile radius. Even if tannerite was indisputably legal and there was a SCOTUS ruling stating that explosives are protected under the 2nd, I'd still consider this guy to be guilty of grossly negligent and dangerous behavior based on what I read.

F-2_Challenger
02-24-2009, 6:16 PM
^^ I agree ^^

MT1
02-24-2009, 6:19 PM
I want to see the video.

petey
02-24-2009, 6:32 PM
Video at liveleak

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1200611038

And I promise, no more threads about last years news. By next month, I'll even stop writing 2008 on my checks.

tankerman
02-24-2009, 7:07 PM
Looks like fun.

fairfaxjim
02-24-2009, 8:15 PM
I would recon if you did anything, no matter how legal, that resulted in a nuclear power plant being put on high alert, you are going to get charged with SOMETHING, probably lots of somethings. You just don't want to draw some kinds of attention to yourself.

edward
02-24-2009, 8:40 PM

I'd disregard what Tanner says about CA legality - he's in Oregon with Oregon lawyers.

If I could ask Bill, what section of CA law would you be questioning tannerite's legality under?

Do you think someone would get in trouble for disturbing the peace? Wreckless endangerment? Something like that?

Or does CA have some furtherance beyond fed. law regarding having things that are capable of exploding?

Or do you just think that the political culture in CA would doom someone to being sand bagged by a DA for the same reason they try to sand bag people on gun charges?

I actually am interested to know, I wanted to order a case O tannerite for a shooting trip in a couple weeks... looks fun.

Harrison_Bergeron
02-24-2009, 10:06 PM
1200 & 12305 of the Health and Safety Code seem like they'd be what got you, unless there is something special about Tannerite.

12000 (http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=54542917210+5+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve)
12305 (http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=54542917210+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve)

The guy in the article would definitely be SOL under these.

GW
02-24-2009, 10:11 PM

BLM says its cool

mygunsr2hve
11-02-2009, 8:14 PM
Welch man gets probation for explosion
10/10/2009 12:20:02 AM
Comments (0)
By John Weiss
Post-Bulletin, Rochester MN

RED WING -- A Welch man who pleaded guilty to two counts stemming from his role in blowing up 100 pounds of explosives on his property on Prairie Island was fined $2,583 on Friday.

Brian Wesley Childs, 32, pleaded guilty in Goodhue District Court on Aug. 27 to detonating a Tannerite exploding target with a high-powered rifle and unlawful possession of components for explosives. A charge of disregard for human life was dismissed.

He also was told he can't use firearms and forfeited the Tannerite he had. he will serve his three years probation with the Prairie Island tribe.

According to the complaint filed in June 2008, Prairie Island tribal police heard about an explosion that rattled windows and threw debris more than a quarter of a mile. Childs told investigators the Tannerite was exploded by a shot from a high-powered rifle at 300 yards but refused to say who fired it.

http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=2&a=420406

tyrist
11-02-2009, 8:37 PM
If I could ask Bill, what section of CA law would you be questioning tannerite's legality under?

Do you think someone would get in trouble for disturbing the peace? Wreckless endangerment? Something like that?

Or does CA have some furtherance beyond fed. law regarding having things that are capable of exploding?

Or do you just think that the political culture in CA would doom someone to being sand bagged by a DA for the same reason they try to sand bag people on gun charges?

I actually am interested to know, I wanted to order a case O tannerite for a shooting trip in a couple weeks... looks fun.

Search Dry Ice Bomb under the California Penal code.

E Pluribus Unum
11-02-2009, 9:24 PM
This guy is an idiot.

He lives within a mile of a nuclear power plant and he's blowing up a dump truck?

Seesm
11-02-2009, 9:31 PM
Seems like a way of wasting tax payers money.... Poor guy.

gazzavc
11-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Some people are just lacking in good old common sense.

That said however, it was a cool explosion.

Gaz