PDA

View Full Version : Hi cap magazine ?

MrWindow
02-24-2009, 2:42 PM
Ok I did read this...

If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?

No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.

(PC Section 12020 (b)(19-29))

But How do dispose of them and still be enumerated for in some fashion for their value if I no longer have a need for them, and not get to take a vacation in the Iron bar Hotel?

Thanks
James

BONECUTTER
02-24-2009, 2:45 PM
But How do dispose of them and still be enumerated for in some fashion for their value if I no longer have a need for them, and not get to take a vacation in the Iron bar Hotel?

Thanks
James

Sell the parts of the mags in peices as rebuilt kits for those who already have high-caps.

andrewj
02-24-2009, 2:51 PM
yep, just sell the parts

BONECUTTER
02-24-2009, 2:52 PM
i wouldn't post my ownership of a hicap mag on the internet. if you bought it in CA before the ban, you can use it. take them apart if they are illegal, and make them into 10 rounders.

:TFH: Why wouldn't you post ownership??? Obviously posting that you are doing something illegal would be a bad idea but there is no law against owning and he has not said anything illegal has transpired..

The gentleman was asking about getting rid of mags while being compensated legally. Sounds like he is asking the right questions.

Dr Rockso
02-24-2009, 2:57 PM
Disassemble and sell as a parts kit or sell to someone out of state.

AlexBreya
:TFH: Why wouldn't you post ownership??? Obviously posting that you are doing something illegal would be a bad idea but there is no law against owning and he has not said anything illegal has transpired..

The gentleman was asking about getting rid of mags while being compensated legally. Sounds like he is asking the right questions.

I kind of assumed that he meant he had an illegal one, since he wanted to get rid of it. I never would have thought that someone would every try to get rid of a legal hicap mag. my bad.

MrWindow

I quoted the law in the OP......Just wondering what the right thing to do with something I have no need for other than use for paper weights or giving them up to LE for zero.

James

CSACANNONEER
02-24-2009, 2:59 PM

He's young and paranoid. For many of us, owning normal magazines is no big deal. Most of us have owned some of our mags longer than he has been alive.

To answer the OPs question, you can either dissassemble them and sell them as parts or a parts kit or, you can take them to another state that allows for their transfer of ownership and sell them there. All the states that Ca shares borders with are good choices.

MrWindow
02-24-2009, 2:59 PM
I would'nt do anything Illegal and say so!
James

MrWindow
02-24-2009, 3:00 PM
Parts is parts.....
Thanks for the spirited conversation.

Thanks

James

DB2
02-24-2009, 3:06 PM
i wouldn't post my ownership of a hicap mag on the internet. if you bought it in CA before the ban, you can use it. take them apart if they are illegal, and make them into 10 rounders.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

It's not illegal to own a high capacity magazine.

You can take them apart and sell them as parts. You can't sell them complete. It would be illegal for the buyer to assemble them, but he can use the for repair.

MP301
02-24-2009, 3:24 PM
Its not even illegal to posses hi-caps whether you got them before or after the ban date...(although many think this is unwise), because nowhere in the law does it cover purchase or posses. Period. Just lend, sell, manufacture, import, blah blah. The guy that gets nailed is the seller,lender, etc. And that FUD about it being a conspiracy is BS as well because both parties have to be committing a crime...if one is not, then there is no conspiracy...duh.

I even read a law enforcement memo while looking into it from when the hi cap ban first came into effect that said possesion only is not actionable. Since being on calguns I have not relocated it but ill continue to search for it!

That aside, I think you should send me your hi cap magazine repair kits straight away! They are evil and a danger to children!

Glock22Fan
02-24-2009, 3:27 PM
I even read a law enforcement memo while looking into it from when the hi cap ban first came into effect that said possesion only is not actionable. Since being on calguns I have not relocated it but ill continue to search for it!

Apart from any others, see recent calguns thread re LAPD training memo in this section.