PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P or Sig P226?

Arteel
02-24-2009, 1:21 AM
My 21'st is coming up in April and i'm trying to decide on either the M&P 9mm or P226. I'm leaning towards the M&P just because its cheaper, 469shipped.
Any info and/or oppinions would be greatly appreciated.

oghl888
02-24-2009, 2:42 AM
The 226 is worth the extra dough. It's one of my first 3 purchases. I bought another one since then. My MP gets much less range time than my 226. That said, the MP is pretty good also. The trigger is rougher, but it's cheaper as you said.

Another consideration is how well each gun fits you. that one only you can answer.

Suvorov
02-24-2009, 4:55 AM
You are really comparing two VERY DIFFERENT pistols. The SIG has a traditional DA/SA action while the M&P is striker fired. If I were you, I would try to fire both and do a little research to get an idea of what type of action you like better. Since this is your first pistol, I'm assuming that you are not really experienced, so considering this, the M&P might be a little easier for you to learn to shoot well, but again it is all up to you. The SIG has almost a cult like following (especially amoung the rich Californians here on CalGuns) and has a very notable service history. The M&P is a new design but Smith has really put a lot of effort and their best engineers into designing the gun that is a world class pistol. From a standpoint of choosing a pistol that will give you a life time of service and one you can count on when the Goblins (a term Col. Cooper used before all this Zombie nonsense began) are at the door, either pistol is a good choice. So it all comes down to personal preference. The Smith might fit your hand better as well since it has 3 different grip backstraps - that said, despite all the fancy hand research that Smith has done, the SIG fits my hand better :confused:

You mentioned price, there is a HUGE price difference between the two and the Smith will approach almost 1/2 the price of a SIG - especially if you time your purchase with one of Smith's many promotions. If you decide you really want a SIG but can't afford one, check out their "red label" reconditioned guns or consider a previously loved (owned) gun. The older SIGs don't have accessory rails and have stamped slides, but are still awesome pistols!

While SIGs may come with a smoother trigger, keep in mind that the trigger systems are totally different and for less than $100 you can send your Smith off to have a Performance Trigger job done on it which will rival pretty much any auto trigger out there. Even after this work is done, you will be saving hundreds of dollars versus the SIG.

For the record I own both a M&P 45 as well as two SIGs (3 if you count the Mosquito). I prefer the P220 to the M&P for the simple reason that it fits my hand better and I still have yet to warm up to striker fired guns. My M&P trigger is not good and I have yet to send it off to get it tuned, perhaps when it gets back, my preferences will change?

Other notable pistols you might want to check out are the Glock and the Springfield XD. Here in Texas, they are able to buy the XDm and I think if it were available in the PRK, they would be flying off the shelves like ARs. Still, the standard XD is one worth your while to check out. Also, if you are open to other designs worth checking out, consider the Beretta and CZ series pistols - both are classic well proven 9mms.

Pugster
02-24-2009, 6:10 AM
While I would recommend the P226, go to the range and test out the two pistols. Go with the one that is the most ergonomic and accurate for you.

Jonathan Doe
02-24-2009, 6:32 AM
Both M&P and P226 that I have shot good groups. I prefer P226 because it fits my hand better. Both pistols are authorized for carry for LASD.

Butter
02-24-2009, 8:16 AM
Like everyone's saying, try before you buy. For me, I can shoot Sigs, but unless it is a P225 or a P239, my hand's just too small for the standard trigger reach. For a P226, on the first double action trigger pull, I have to cant the pistol slightly off axis to reach the trigger. I also found over the years that I am just not a fan of double actions unless they are on revolvers so my purhcases reflect that.

Forgetting the cachet of owning a Sig, or any gun for that matter especially if it is to be used as an accomodating tool, then look for a few things: 1) Reliability (both have them with more history going to the Sig); 2) Decent sights; 3) A trigger that you can manipulate well; and 4) How it subjectively feels in your hand.

For me, numbers three and four put me in the M&P camp over the Sig of which I have tried a few.

leelaw
02-24-2009, 8:35 AM
I've got both. I bought the Sig, but got the M&P for free.

If I had to choose which one to buy in the future, I'd buy another Sig.

windrunner50
02-24-2009, 8:42 AM
Save your pennies, and get the Sig.....the P226 is an excellent pistol.:D

Scorpiusdeus
02-24-2009, 9:01 AM
I own both, 2 P226s, and two M&Ps. I love them both. While I prefer the P226s, I will tell you that the ONLY gun to ever challenge my top rating for the P226 is the M&P.

Either way you go, you can't go wrong.

gn3hz3ku1*
02-24-2009, 9:57 AM
sig!

DedEye
02-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Get the Sig.

lioneaglegriffin
02-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Sig Sauer.

civilsnake
02-24-2009, 12:25 PM
I really like my 226 and would recommend it to anybody. It helps that I have long hands and fingers, though. I don't much care for polymer frames, either. If you want a trigger system more like the M&P, you can get the DAK trigger on the Sig, but it will be a traditional DAO vs. a striker. The Sig also scores a huge bonus if your father gifted to you some full capacity mags prior to 2000.

I don't own an M&P, I've never fired one. I don't like the feel of the hinged trigger when dry-firing, though. I can't recommend something I haven't shot, so my vote goes with the Sig because I know it's great. About 2000 shots now with zero failures using different reloads, factory loads, and hotted-up hollowpoints.

Arteel
02-24-2009, 1:10 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. I still have about 2 months to do some more research and figure out what I want. As of now though, I think i'm just going to get what I can afford. Times are REALLY rough right now so I'm either going to sell one of my rifles or hope for a decent tax return, either way i'm getting a pistol lol. What do you guys think about this for 569?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=411536110

wildhawker
02-24-2009, 1:13 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. I still have about 2 months to do some more research and figure out what I want. As of now though, I think i'm just going to get what I can afford. Times are REALLY rough right now so I'm either going to sell one of my rifles or hope for a decent tax return, either way i'm getting a pistol lol. What do you guys think about this for 569?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=411536110

Some CPOs are good deals, some not so much... I'd avoid sight unseen there (but that's just me).

Keep your eye out here, sometimes some nice deals on Sigs come through the sales sections here (but act fast, they go quick).

ETA: For whatever it's worth (less than what you paid for it), we have no M&Ps... YMMV

neomentat
02-24-2009, 1:29 PM
To Hell and Back Reliability and that's no bull. Unlike some "perfection" bs claim made by others.

go with the Sig, but do yourself a favor and pick up a P229 in .40 s&w.

F4E Phantom
02-24-2009, 1:29 PM
I also have both, The M & P feels much better in my medium sized hands. The recoil is less than my 226 and much less in my Glock 17. Down side is that extra mags are $30-$35. Good Luck either way.

kkun
02-24-2009, 1:54 PM
If you are in CA, make sure if you buy online that it'll be CA compliant (i.e. 10rd mag). That listing you have is a 15 rd.

Have you shot either before? It may help you on your decision. I personally like the 226 more than all the others I've tried. Granted they were all rentals, I shot it side-by-side with 7 other handguns in similar caliber and I've yet to find anything to change my mind. It just feels great in my hand. The rental had one instance where it FTE a few times, but that was because it was the end of the day w/o being cleaned/lubed for a while and the gun went through about 200 rounds just in my hands.

I am in a similar boat as you and looking into getting a specific model of the P226.

peekay331
02-24-2009, 5:13 PM
I have a P226 CPO and a M&P, both in 9mm. If cost was no object, it's not even close, the P226 is way more pleasurable to shoot.

My CPO came in looking new. Couldn't even tell it was used. I got it for about $525 with night sights. I would just get a CPO P226 and call it a day.

aca72
02-24-2009, 6:32 PM
My vote: SIG

Black Majik
02-24-2009, 6:44 PM
I prefer the SIG, but the M&P really is no slouch. Both are fantastic, but I just prefer hammers over striker fired.

tiko
02-24-2009, 7:04 PM
I got both, Sig for collection and MP for shooting :)
So far after 2000 rds, MP45 has not had a FTF yet.

Arteel
05-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but after all this waiting...I finally DROS'ed a 226 in 9mm. Found one of the earlier models in very good condition at an excellent price so I just had to jump. :thumbsup:

ZRT650
05-27-2009, 6:35 AM

Butter
05-27-2009, 7:47 AM
Congrats on the new gun!

echang86
05-27-2009, 7:54 AM
Grats, you won't go back on your choice! The more you shoot your Sig, the more you appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Legasat
05-27-2009, 8:10 AM
Well I seem to be the odd-man out. So be it.

When I bought my 9mm 1.5 years ago, I shot about 20 pistols, including Sig and the M&P. Sig is a very nice pistol, as is the M&P.

I was most accurate with about 3 or 4 of them. I did a final round of shooting with 3 of them (including the Sig, M&P and XD), and I chose the M&P and here is why:

1. Didn't like the long first pull on the Sig
2. M&P was most comfortable for me (3 grips come with)
3. M&P was as accurate as any of them
4. M&P was the best value (most gun for a given amount of money)
5. S&W customer service is great

I now have 3 M&P's and no problems with any of them (read - reliable).

I would not be unhappy with a Sig, but the M&P is a very competitive gun, and with some money left over for ammo, I am VERY happy!

Good luck with your decision.

AndrewMendez
05-27-2009, 8:40 AM
The M&P 9, got a couple bad reviews, I would stick with a .40, same price too!

Greg-Dawg
05-27-2009, 8:42 AM
You get what you pay for, go for the Sig.

Arteel
05-27-2009, 7:28 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

The M&P just felt a little cheap when I held it, but I'm sure it's a good pistol.

7 more days left!!