View Full Version : Interstate Transfer Question

390 Mach I
02-23-2009, 7:13 PM
My Father wants to send me an old Ithaca M37 Shotgun from Michigan.
Does he have to ship it to an FFL or can he send it directly to me?

02-23-2009, 8:25 PM
since it would appear tht your father is a MI resident, and you are a CA resident, it would need to be shipped to a CA FFL for you to DROS it from. And as such, the FFL can charge whatever fee he wishes. Common transfer fees seem to run around $40-75 + DROS, with some less and some more.

Dr Rockso
02-23-2009, 8:38 PM
Depending on how long you're willing to wait for that shotgun (and that the gun is 50 years old), you could get a 03 FFL: Collector of Curios and Relics ($30). The process is very simple but takes a couple of months on average. On the plus side you get significant discounts from a lot of places (Brownells, Midway, etc), and you can purchase certain firearms out of state.

390 Mach I
02-24-2009, 6:47 AM
Thanks, that's what I figured. I appreciate the help.
Yes, I am a resident of Ca, and my Father is a resident of Mi.
The gun is only 40(late '60s) years old or so. Not quite yet 50 so I cannot go the C&R route.