PDA

View Full Version : 40 cal 10 round mag = 9 mm 13 rounds

anhero
02-23-2009, 3:31 PM
PC 12020 (c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds

I have a legally obtained 10 round 40 cal magazine and for giggles loaded 9mm ammo in it, getting ready to convert my 40 cal to a 9mm. To my surprise, I was able to load 13 rounds!!

does this penal code apply? do i need to obtain a second magazine for a 9mm round, or will the existing magazine function with the new ammo. hk mag btw. new barrel will be coming from efk firedragon.

CSACANNONEER
02-23-2009, 3:34 PM
Please, use the search function. This gets discussed every month.

anhero
02-26-2009, 7:13 PM
what exactly would i be searching for?

hi cap = i have a hi cap that i repaired... can i buy hi cap... what is hi cap.... how can i obtain a hi cap... is it legal to own hi cap...

conversion = usually dealing with converting from one caliber to another

most of everything i've read has dealt with having, obtaining, retaining, rebuilding, inheriting, finding, and hypothetically some how acquiring a hi cap.

this question deals with using a pre-existing standard legal 10 round magazine from one caliber (40) to another (9mm) before or after a conversion.

per Librarian:

This law is another effect of Mr. Perata's SB23; if you want to see what the legislature was thinking (or not thinking) see the analyses here.

Prohibited actions:

* manufacture or cause to be manufactured
* import into the state
* keep for sale
* offer or expose for sale
* give
* lend

Note that it is not prohibited to

* own a large-capacity magazine
* possess a large-capacity magazine
* use a large-capacity magazine, in whatever gun
* repair a legally possessed large-capacity magazine
(and, necessarily, to acquire the parts to make the repair --
remember it only makes sense to buy parts kits for existing
legally-possessed large-capacity magazines)

To repeat: Possession/use of a large-capacity magazine by an individual is not a crime, no matter how you acquired it.

would this last sentence apply? especially for PC 12020

darksands
02-26-2009, 7:19 PM
The possession of the mag made for .40 is perfectly legal. Once you use it as a mag for 9mm, it becomes illegal. Search for XD magazines.

jnojr
02-26-2009, 7:24 PM
I have a SIG Pro, and if I got a 9mm barrel for it, I'd be in the same boat.

audiophil2
02-26-2009, 8:11 PM
Are 3 extra rounds worth the bother?
It will function but not very reliably. You're much better off with reliable 10 round 9mm mags than unreliable .40 mags stuffed with 9mm. They are $20 at CDNN.

Gryff
02-26-2009, 8:31 PM
I have a legally obtained 10 round 40 cal magazine and for giggles loaded 9mm ammo in it, getting ready to convert my 40 cal to a 9mm. To my surprise, I was able to load 13 rounds!!

If you are using it in a way that would allow it to hold more than 10 rounds, then it is illegal.

CHS
02-26-2009, 8:36 PM
The possession of the mag made for .40 is perfectly legal. Once you use it as a mag for 9mm, it becomes illegal. Search for XD magazines.

Stop spreading FUD. You are absolutely WRONG.

Possession and use of that mag is perfectly legal. Period. If you decide to use it as a 13rd 9mm mag, then that is perfectly fine and legal as well.

PERIOD.

herburt
02-26-2009, 8:45 PM
In that same direction, I have discussed the fact that 10 round .458 socom mags hold 30 5.56 rounds. I still won't go ahead and do it since there is no where to actually buy .458 socom mags. I have seen mentioned that if you only go to the range with a .458 upper affixed to the lower with a maglock and obviously don't load any other ammunition in to them there isn't really anything a LE can say you are doing wrong. But since the round is so expensive anyway i'm fine just loading 3 in to my 10 rounders.

I think if you bought the guy in a California shop legally and it came with that magazine there shouldn't be any problem.

high_revs
02-26-2009, 8:55 PM
Stop spreading FUD. You are absolutely WRONG.

Possession and use of that mag is perfectly legal. Period. If you decide to use it as a 13rd 9mm mag, then that is perfectly fine and legal as well.

PERIOD.

i also remember those older threads and remember it being legal.

[EDIT] mags must be unmodified and iirc, must still work in intended firearm. would insinuate you modified it as higher capacity if it doesn't anymore.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=91756&highlight=mags